“Nice room” 4 of 5 bubbles

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #26 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
“Nice room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Got a good last minute price at the Olsen. Great location in S Yarra among restaurant, coffee shops and bars. Great service at the front desk. Room a bit blinged out - clear plastic chairs and lot of chrome - not really my style but looks good. Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paul V
Paul R, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Hello PaulV,
Thank you for your review, we appreciate it!
We are thrilled that your enjoyed your time with us and loved the location of the Olsen.
Certainly there are amazing cafes, shops bars and restaurants popping up all around the Olsen and it’s a great location to truly explore all that South Yarra/ Richmond has to offer.
We look forward to seeing you again soon,
Regards,
Amy Moylan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here over the Derby Day weekend and couldn't have asked for a better experience. Even though it was one of the busiest times of the year in Melbourne, all the staff were extremely friendly, attentive and if we asked or enquired about anything they were onto it straight away. Overall an excellent experience, The Olsen will definitely be our first choice when we are next in Melbourne.

1 Thank Debbie M
Hello DebbieM,
Thankyou for your awesome review, we love hearing that you had a terrific time at the Olsen and our staff looked after your needs.
Although it would have been a busy time in Melbourne over the Spring Carnival we love these fun event times here at the Olsen and we are glad we could have shared this with you and your boyfriend.
Cheers!
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I've had a few people tell me this is a good hotel so I decided to give it a try on a recent business trip. Whilst I only stayed one night, I really didn't rate the hotel and won't be rushing back.

Why?

Firstly, the check-in experience was annoying - after 10pm at night the lobby had music blaring to the point where the staff member had to ask me to speak up as he couldn't hear me!

The room I was in was bizarre in its layout. The bed was basically crammed into a corner which made the whole room feel small. I really don't get the plastic furniture trend either.

Whilst the room was clean, the tap in the kitchenette sink was split and sprayed water everywhere but down when used. Overall it just didn't have a comfortable feel to it.

And yet more overly loud club music at reception the next morning...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark P
Hi MarkP,
Thankyou very much for taking the time to review your Olsen stay, we appreciate your feedback.
Myself and Management have taken on your feedback and made some permanent changes with regard to the music, we revamped our playlist so it’s more time of day relative and we have amended the volume levels of our in-house PA system.
Thankyou again for your advice we do hope to see you again in the future.
Kind Regards
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

We don't often stay in Melbourne: if we do it is usually in the Westin or the Langham. This last weekend we were going to dinner with friends just along the road in Toorak and, rather than driving all the way home we decided to stay at the Olsen in South Yarra. And how nice it was! Just right for what we wanted - not too overwhelming - just the right amount of care and service.
Would I go there again? Certainly!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James M
Hi jm747,
Thankyou for reviewing us and your stay at the Olsen, we really appreciate your great feedback.
Great to hear you tried a Hotel outside of the city and it worked well for you and your plans, certainly beats the cab ride home!
Thanks again for your great feedback; we love to hear it,
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

A very very cool hotel... always feel like a rockstar walking in here and the staff were brilliant.. Great room, lunch was delicious in their restaurant... And I love the little Evo toiletries... Thanks guys for such a great stay, you know your business...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Fernando A
Hello Louisa C,
Thankyou for taking the time to review your stay at the Olsen, we truly appreciate the feedback.
I am deeply sorry to hear you did not enjoy all aspects of you time with us, with specific regard to the breakfast experience in our restaurant Spoonbill.
Your feedback has been passed onto our General Manager along with our Food and Beverage Manager and we have made some changes that relate directly to your feedback since this review was posted 2 weeks ago.
I do sincerely apologise you were not asked on departure how your stay was and consequently paid for your breakfast which was disappointing. I certainly would like to rectify this should you wish to contact myself directly at the Hotel.
I do look forward to hearing from you,
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Olsen for one night. The hotel in general was nice but the bathroom and service at their Spoonbill restaurant left a lot to be desired. The bedroom (room 606) was great and the bed was very comfortable but bathroom was disproportionally big and the extraction fan blew cold air at me while I hid behind the cheap shower curtain. The shower water wasn't very hot which made washing myself even more uncomfortable. Breakfast the next day put me in a foul mood; first I was told my eggs would take about 45 mins to an hour so I should help myself to cereal/juice first. At the juice bar, the one available glass was tainted with dry residue so clearly hadn't been washed properly. At the cereal bar, there was no milk so I had to ask for that. When I sat down I realised that I didn't have any cutlery or a napkin so I had to get up again and ask for it. When my eggs eventually came, I had to ask for pepper. Really sloppy service. I'm not happy I paid for breakfast. I would have taken this up with the hotel rather than posting on a public forum but they didn't ask how my stay was. I'm not sure if I'll stay again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank loudecruss
Hello Louisa C,
I am sincerly sorry to hear you did not enjoy all aspects of you time with us, with specific regard to the breakfast experience in our restaurant Spoonbill.
I do look forward to hearing from you,
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Booked in for a stay at the Olsen for 3 nights with my partner, for a little getaway, he had especially booked this hotel for the restaurant and the artistic feel. Unfortunately, we were left feeling a bit underwhelmed compared to previous stays we have had at other 5 star establishments in Melbourne by this experience.

Upon arrival we were given the option to park our own car, but after getting into the car park only to discover- no parking available, frustrating although given an apology from the reception and the explanation their system had not show the car park as full and this May have been due to parking being used by those in a function? And we're assured that they would take care of this for us (of course which we were charged the valet parking fee for, perhaps fair enough).

Must mention the sparkling wine on arrival was really lovely and beautiful chocolates well worth the upgrade and had quite a nice dinner in the restaurant that evening, staff were friendly etc. I would recommend the zucchini flowers and the soft shell crab, really fresh and very enjoyable. In room art books for perusal and lovely prints adorning the walls.

Downside, was that although we had paid for a balcony room which online is described as having a 'private balcony', this was not the case in this instance, we were in the second floor and our balcony was actually adjacent to/part of the sun deck, not private and the only day of our stay that had lovely sunshine in the afternoon our balcony was unfortunately occupied by other guests and were unable to take advantage of this, just a bit of a disappointment.

The room also had bobby pins strewn in the floor from previous guests, not really a big deal, just perhaps a bit of an oversight by housekeeping, brown bobby pins on brown carpet. Mini bar not restocked daily again not the end if the world perhaps an oversight and there was also a note on the mini bar card that you can call to have it restocked if need be-although we did not. Ironically, although housekeeping may have missed these little things, they did manage to pick up the spare room key we had unintentionally left in the key holder for power in the room. However, unfortunately they took it with them when they left, again not the end of the world, just a bit annoying.

We only attempted breakfast on our first morning, we were seated after waiting 20 mins for our order to be taken, (the waitress seemed to be under the impression we had been served by someone else-although since we still had the menu sitting on the table, to me that was a bit of an odd assumption-in her defence we had been seated by someone else) we waited and waited still no food. My tea was well and truly finished, still no food and no water on the table and no one to ask (although there may have been a function-we were asked if we were part of a group when we had arrived). After around 25mins finally breakfast comes out, it's not ours or what we had ordered. A bad sign. A few mins later the waitress came over to say that they had unfortunately lost the order, somehow. At this stage we opted to leave without breakfast, I did not want to wait any longer our choice. The waitress was very apologetic and ironically then said but you're only waiting on poached eggs it won't take long, we can rush the order-no I wasn't, not at all what I ordered at all. At this point we cut our losses, obviously something had gone awry. Ok these things happen but more attentive wait staff would have been able to see that we had not only waited to order but that we had also waited and waited for an order to come out. Again not the end of the world just frustrating. Luckily, we did find 2 lovely spots for breakfast within very easy walking distance so we didn't attempt breakfast at Spoonbill a second time.

All in all, not bad, just not great, average and not what I have come to expect from a reputable 5 star establishment. My suggestion would be to heed the other reviews for this hotel.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time in writing an informative review about your recent experience whilst staying with us at the Olsen Hotel. Our hotel General Manager, Mr Lee Davey, would like you to contact him, to discuss your feedback.

We look forward to speaking with you soon.