“Nice Hotel, good location”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #27 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Nice Hotel, good location”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed here for just the one night as I had an event in Melbourne, Location was fairly good as we used the Public Transport system which was easy enough to navigate to the hotel.
Room was clean and quite spacious, very modern and quite a nice view. They don't however use quilt covers and the bed was quite a mess by the next day.

Had a few issues, housekeeping barged straight in on the afternoon without knocking (2 of them) trying to restock the mini bar. Luckily we where just watching TV however they kept trying to restock the fridge, it was like halfway through they realised they shouldn't of been there and then just left all the stock for the fridge on the bench and walked out. I was expecting a bill for some of the mini bar however that didn't come.
Other problem I had was I couldn't find a pair of shoes anywhere when packing, rushing to make it to the airport to catch a flight I called the hotel to let them know, I was told housekeeping would check and call me back, about 6hrs later I called them back after not hearing from them and flown back to my state. I was told that my shoes where in the room next door.
Not sure how that happened and whilst i'd drank a little the night before it wasn't that much!
Anyway the hotel put my shoes in a post bag and charged my credit card for the postage!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Amy_Moylan, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear TravelledwellOz,

Thanks for your recent review, so terrific to hear that you liked our location and found it easy to get around. It’s true we are lucky in that we have both the tram line and train station only a short few minutes’ walk away from the front door of our hotel.

I am interested to hear your feedback regarding the minbar attendant and lost property claim, this feedback is most helpful and has been addressed with our Executive Housekeeping Manager for follow up.

Kind Regards,
The Olsen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013

We booked one of the larger rooms and I asked for a high room due to the other comments on Trip and was not disappointed. The room was well-appointed with all you need, clean and modern - good choice of books, magazines, nice touch. The bed was extremely comfortable but I agree with someone else on trip, not sure why they have such heavy duvets on the beds but there is aircon. The area has lots of shops and places to eat and its quick to get into Melbourne centre (tip: use the South Yarra train station or tram bus 8 stop 31). The reception staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sn0wbunni
Hi Snowbunni,

Thanks for your recent review from your stay with us here at the Olsen.
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and felt our front desk staff friendly and helpful; we do truly love this time of year to look after our guests on a festive season holiday!

All the very best,
The Olsen
La Jolla, California
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stayed in the Olsen for about a week in December 2013.

The pros:

Good central location, just off the Melbourne equivalent of "the King's Road."

The hotel is stylish and is trying hard to be hip/trendy... My local colleagues described it as a place where trendy people go to shop and spend money.

I thought the hotel was relatively modern, clean, and stylish... Clearly trying hard to be hip/trendy. It has a small lobby with helpful staff whose uniforms include matching jewelry that coordinates with the hotel's interior ... We'll the owner is an artist so they clearly put thought into these little but noticeable details.... Speaking of which, there was interesting artwork throughout the building, as well as in the room, and plenty of art books, which I appreciated.

The room itself was fine and the bed was very comfortable. It's not the 4 Seasons, but it's not the Courtyard Marriott either.

I was in a "1 bed studio," which is basically a hotel room with a kitchenette (induction cooktop, microwave, kettle, and sink). The room was a good size and it was great to have a kettle, mini-fridge, sink and microwave.... Made morning coffee and warming snacks very easy.... So both a time and money saver.

I was there for work so I did not see any sights, other than several of the local cafés, which are in abundance in the surrounding neighborhood. There are some very good breakfast places close by, with great salads and sandwiches for lunch, and baristas with impressive skills -- cappuccinos were works of art. There is also a shopping center almost directly across the street that includes a large grocery store, home made pasta store (if I could have figured out how to make the induction cooktop work I would have tried this option, but there were no instructions and it took until last day to figure it out). The shopping center also includes a fresh fruit and veg store, pizza place, and a large Woolworth's on the second floor. Having this across the street made it very convenient grab something quick for dinner and/ breakfast the next morning.

The cons:

Paying A$10 per day for Internet seemed very last century for a hotel that is trying so hard to be trendy. Still, once paid for, the internet connection was pretty good - I measured it a synchronous 5Mbit/sec (up and down), which is pretty unusual.

The RFID room keys are a nice touch, but the check-in staff does not explain how they work in the elevator.... During my stay, on at least 5 occasions, I met a confused person in the elevator who could not figure out how to make the elevator work properly and consequently ended up going down when they wanted to go up, or vice-versa.

Housekeeping was a bit cheap with the towels (2 total per room) and did not return /refresh the hand towels or washcloths after the first day. When I used a robe it was taken away and not refreshed, so that by the time I checked out, there were no robes in the room (started with 2x), no hand towel, and no washcloth.

One day I worked in the room until about noon and when housekeeping knocked I told them I was still in the room and needed a bit more time. I left between noon and 1pm and returned after 8pm but the room was not serviced. Disappointing.

The drain in my sink backed up if the water was on for more than 30-45 seconds (e.g. When brushing teeth or shaving), but was fixed when I notified the front desk (although I was a bit put off by the note left maintenance staff that said the drain was fine all along and did not back up... All I know is that it did not work before they were there and it worked great after they were there. So I was happy that it was fixed for the second half of my stay.

The lighting in the room was very poor if you wanted to get any work done at the tiny desk. Although there are halogen bulbs in the ceiling, there are not any over the desk area (perhaps to avoid glare on TV). The desk has a stylish looking (but useless from a functionality POV) lamp that featuring a low light output compact-fluorescent bulb lamp... It's a good example of "form over function" that tend to trip up designer hotels... Looked great but was Inadequate for reading or doing much computer work. An additional / more powerful working / reading lamp would have been welcomed. Strangely, I also had three light bulbs burn out on me during the week I was there. That's never happened before in a hotel.

All the above was pretty minor, and in general the hotel was very good. But the one thing that really bothered me was the persistent strange smell in the bathroom that seemed to be coming from the HVAC system, as though it had not been cleaned in a while... Things grow in a moist environment life ducting over a shower.... I can't really describe other than it smelled like the insides of an electric toothbrush (e.g. Sonicare) that has not been scrubbed out in a while. This was a bit off-putting in the morning, especially if bathroom door has been closed during the night.

All-in-all (apart from the strange smell) it was pretty good for my purposes. As I said, I was there for work and spent most of my time in an office, or working at the too-small desk in the room. For my purposes it was fine. However I am not sure I would stay at the Olsen if I were on holiday.

Greetings Jonathan,

Thank you for choosing to recently stay at the Olsen Hotel and I hope this response finds you well.

Thankyou for taking the time to review your hotel stay, I have found your feedback and recommendations to be most helpful. The details that were overlooked throughout your stay shouldn’t have occurred and I do apologise with particular regard to the smell and drainage issue you describe along with the housekeeping points you have raised.
Again your feedback was most helpful, Please feel free to contact me at any stage if you are to book again to stay in the future.

Kind Regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Stayed with the family in this amazing hotel, room and the service received by the friendly staff was absolutely outstanding. We took the advantage of the pool with 40' weather kids had a ball, we finally got to swim in the glass pool we looked at so many times from the street. Thank you for this pleasant experience Team Olsen 10/10 miss you already xx

• Stayed December 2013
Hi Polites

Thank you for your review!
I am thrilled to hear you and your kids enjoyed our glass bottom pool and the Melbourne weather was kind to you.

Look forward to seeing you again soon,
Regards
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My second stay at The Olsen. This is a great property in a great location. The rooms are not particularly large but very functional and comfortable. Everything is in great condition. Seems like no corners are cut with regards to maintenance or periodic refreshing of the rooms.

Don't skip the restaurant downstairs. I tend to avoid hotel restaurants as they are usually overpriced but this one has delicious food at typical market prices. The menu is great, as is the service and staff. Enjoy!

Hi LeifD

I wish to thank you for your kind words on your comments card from your stay. Your lovely words and comments about your stay really made the teams day and we thank you for your feedback.
I am so pleased you had a terrific time with us in our restaurant Spoonbill.

Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We arrived at nine, hungry and tired. We had booked a deal which included a three course meal and a glass of wine. When we sat down to have the meal we were told there was no such deal and we would have to have paella. After seeing the management we found we were correct, and were treated well. The restaurant was so dark I couldn't read the menu, and the music was noisy and unpleasant. Hotel itself was fantastic, and that is why we use the Art Series Hotels.

Room Tip: Nice food beautifully presented, at a price to match.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Paul R, Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Hello Gerald M,

I wish to thank you for your kind words on your comments card from your stay. Your lovely words and comments have been passed onto the Spoonbill Restaurant.
I am pleased you had a terrific time in the restauarnt once the issue confusion was rectified.
Your comments regarding the lighting and music will be looked into movign forward.

Kindest Regards

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

What a fantastic hotel to stay to celebrate my wife's birthday made welcome by Joanna who would be an asset to any hotel in the world. Great room on the 4th floor, comfi bed, marshmallow pillows and my wife's favorite in the mini bar, the box of large chocolate freckles.
The Spoonbill Restaurant had great staff, great food, a fantastic range of beers and wine, Lucy with her great knowledge of the area recommended the Sweetwater inn a great bar near the Jam factory for drinks and Caffe e Cucina for dinner. She was spot on with both.
The management at this hotel should be proud of such a sensational offering and even more proud of their greatest asset, the customer service from brilliant staff.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jim S
Paul R, Front Office Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Dear JimS

I wish to thank you for your kind words on your comments your stay. Your lovely words and comments about your stay really made the teams day especially Joanna and Lucy and we thank you for your feedback.
I am so pleased you had a terrific time with us here at the Olsen, should you need anything in the future do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will certainly take care of your needs.

Kindest Regards and thank you for your time,

The Olsen Hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#11 of 160 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!