“These guys have nailed it...”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #30 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We came here for a family birthday celebration (3 rooms and 10 people) and couldn't have been happier. Location is perfect, rooms and facilities excellent, but best of all was the service. The staff were sensational and went out of their way to assist with our numerous requests and were proactive in anticipating things we might need. I stay at a lot of hotels for my job and would rate the service here as good as anywhere that I have experienced. I wish I could remember the name on the concierge desk because he deserves special mention. Highly recommended and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tripper4007
Paul R, Chief Concierge at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

We are delighted to hear you had such a great stay with us here at the Olsen Hotel. We love our location and are happy to hear you enjoyed our rooms and facilities! Thank you for your positive comments on our service we provided to you. We look forward to welcoming you all back to the Olsen Hotel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,780)

Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stayed last weekend and were told in the nicest possible way that all rooms were full and we would have to be upgraded to the penthouse.... That hospitality set the tone for what was to be an unbelievable stay at the Olsen.
The staff were really helpful and friendly and could not do enough for us to make our stay memorable.
I've also stayed at their sister hotel, The Cullen, and have experienced the same hospitality and the comfort of a beautiful, edgy and creative hotel concept.
I could not recommend this hotel enough for location and quality/fun

Thanks guys

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

We are glad to hear you decided to choose another Art Series Property to stay at - The Olsen. Its fantastic that you had a very memorable stay with us and you enjoyed that "little" upgrade to the penthouse! We look forward to welcoming back to the Olsen Hotel or to another Art Series Property!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

It didn’t hurt that, during my stay, timing-wise it was the heart of the Australian Open tennis tourney, and it seemed that the Olsen was hotel-central for tennis players (and fans). There was such a buzz about the place! But beyond that, it’s a simply superb hotel.

First: Service. In a word: Superb! While the Olsen is quite definitely a boutique hotel, it doesn’t believe that arty design is more important than the soft stuff. Here you get the arty, and also the kind ministrations of a well-trained staff. There were a number of high profile folks staying at the hotel during my time there (including right next door, and down the hall, and so on) and it’s to the staff’s credit that not for a minute did I feel bypassed by celebrities.

I booked a studio room and it was the perfect size; enough room for a living area, bed area, dining table for four, and a desk, all in addition to the kitchenette. The bathroom was OK, I’m a bathtub person and found the shower sort of weak, pressure wise, and chilly.

The hotel’s neighborhood was/is superb. You’re a couple of blocks from Chapel Street’s High Street part (the hotel itself is on Chapel Street but a few blocks below the main drag). Better: there are all sorts of fun eateries and, given the kitchenette aspect, a full grocery store right across the street. There’s also a marvelous movie complex – the Como Palace – again, across the street. And the tram on Toorak is highly convenient as well. Plus, all sorts of terrific restaurants within easy walking distance…..

Also worth mentioning: The train station was so convenient to downtown Melbourne, Melbourne Park (for the tennis), and for Brighton (one of the city’s most delightful harbor-front neighborhoods).
Great place, great stay,

All rooms come with kitchenettes, so you can heat stuff up (or store things in a mini-fridge that was fully stocked – I just moved it all out).

If there's a downside to the Olsen, it's that it's rooms are more hotel-like than flat-like. That may not matter and if it the lack of true kitchen facilities (including dishwashing machine and washer/dryer) won't matter. For me, there were so many pluses about the Olsen that utlimately, I think I'd choose it again over a true apartment-hotel next time, which is a big compliment, because normally I want to feel like I'm in my own flat.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

What a fantastic and informative review! Thank you for all your positive comments and constructive feedback. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay from the service, your hotel room, surroundings and enjoying the tennis celebrities who were down the hall! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Olsen hotel!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We stayed at the Olsen for 2 nights. The room was very nice but quite small. The quality of the rooms was the highlight of our stay.
We found it conveniently located & easy to get into the heart of Melbourne. It's only a quick taxi ride to the centre.
Given it is a 5 star hotel I would have expected more of the service. We had a car so to park it was an extra $25 per night even though we were a guest at the hotel. When I pointed out that I needed to park my car the frontdesk staff didn't add the parking to my room key. Only after my partner rang downstairs that we were told next time we were down at reception they would add it on. There are not many car spaces. Luckily, we got the last car space & thank goodness I have a small compact car. At checkout they had to add the 2nd night for the carpark although I already requested it.
We had dinner at Spoonbill. The service was very disappointing. The bar was understaffed. 1 bartender to do drinks, coffee & take orders at the bar too. We got our drinks after we had eaten & 1 hour after we ordered but only after we chased up on our order.
Had high expectations of the Olsen after getting personal recommendations so was quite disappointed with our experience.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Better_Sliced_Bread

Dear Better_Sliced_Bread, I wish to take this opportunity to offer my apologies about the level of service offered to you encountered in both the restaurant and within regards to our car park. I have spoken with both departments and we are looking to improve the level of service needed in both areas. We would hope to see you to reconsider to stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Everything about this hotel is very good but there are some aspects of my stay that were very disappointing.

The front desk staff and concierge are excellent, nothing more needs to be said because they did their in an exemplary manner.

The rooms are well appointed, though mine was on the small side and a little cluttered, this was not a problem and I figured i got allocated a room that was awkward in shape due to the architecture of the building, If i was staying for a few nights this would have bothered me but it was not a problem for a solo traveler, as I was on this trip.

I checked in at about 9am and left my bags. I had some items sent to the hotel late afternoon and did not actually get to the hotel until after 11pm. I was impressed that my luggage, sent over items and a welcome nibble and note were in my room when i arrived after a long day of business meeting and a business dinner. What was impressive was the reception realised i had a long day and offered a late checkout which was very much appreciated.

The room is well appointed with a very comfortable bed and a great choice of pillows. The bathroom is generous in size though a light bulb was out and it made the room very dark. The room has a microwave oven, small sink and cook-top and a generous sized fridge. I really like the large selection of magazines and books, this was very handy for my lazy morning of reading in bed. The TV is a large plasma, great for watching the tennis.

There were a couple of disappointments though. The housekeeping staff set up their work station and dirty linen opposite my room, they were not the quietest in doing their work. The room uses a card in slot system for the room power, great idea to conserve power costs, but the room clock reset itself to midnight every time I left the room, annoying to say the least.

The biggest disappointment was breakfast, it was so bad that I nearly dropped the hotel to average rating. The food quality was OK to good, the service was...... well i think if i didn't say something I will still be waiting. When I arrived I was told very casually sit were ever, I waited about 20 minutes for a menu and only got one when I asked. I ordered a small / half cappuccino and got a babycino froth, the waiter appeared to be put out by taking my food order and requesting a big breakfast seemed to inconvenience his routine because i helped myself to a juice from the buffet. I noted the people next to me ordered their breakfast before me and theirs did not at all and after a 45 minute wait the waiter bought them their bill and they still had not received their food? When finished I went and sat with some friends who arrived for breakfast, they wanted a coffee and the waiter who was not doing much had a lot of trouble getting a simple order right. I noted several people had issues with breakfast.

The previous night when I returned after a full day with 3 business companions, we went to the bar for a night cap / coffee, the bar had several people in it and i was advised last drinks were called. I politely asked if we could have a beverage and was told no, which i accept and understand, The others retired to their rooms, I decided to go for a 15 minute walk and upon returning found the barman and patrons still in the bar. I thought this was a little poor for a boutique international standard hotel that prides itself on being different.

Overall it is a good venue, i will stay again but the hotel needs to seriously address the breakfast staff and bar staff (same room). It is almost like this bar / restaurant is not part of the hotel. It is a shame that this is so poorly executed.

Room Tip: get a high floor room away from the building indent
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Dear Amsam, Since this review we have passed on your feedback to both the restaurant manager and our housekeeping manager from which they were appreciative of the feedback to improve their operations. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the service from our reception and concierge team members and the over all room. We hope to see you again with us at The Olsen.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The Olsen is perfect for those staying in the South Yarra area of Melbourne. Our Studio Suite (complete with fridge, cooking hob, dishwasher and balcony) was perfect for our 3 night stay. The room was spacious and at the end of the hall so it was very quiet too.
The staff, however, made our stay the most memorable. They are kind, attentive, and most of all incredibly knowledgeable and intuitive. A brief conversation about what we were seeking in our visit yielded three amazing restaurant recommendations, 4 must- see art attractions, shopping help as well as fun facts about the lovely art displayed in the hotel. What more could a guest want?

Room Tip: Take breakfast in your room or walk to any of the nearby cafes recommended by Paul, the INCREDIBLE c...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We are delighted to hear you enjoy stay with us here at the Olsen! We are very passionate here about John Olsen's artwork and I am glad to hear you loved the fun facts about his work! Where we are in South Yarra we are surrounded with some fantastic restaurants, cafes and shopping! We look forward to welcoming you back to the Olsen Hotel!

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The hotel is in a great area with fantastic shopping! On arriving at the hotel, the staff couldn't be friendlier! My husband and I stayed on the fourth floor in a junior deluxe suite. The room was smallish but had everything we needed and the bed was very comfortable. We ordered room service a few times and it was always delicious and promptly delivered with a smile! Overall we had a lovely stay here and wouldn't hesitate to book again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Dawnmarybrowne, thank you for your positive comments, we are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay from the room, the service and the food delivered to your door! We look forward to welcoming you both back to the Olsen Hotel.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#10 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!