“Exactly the break I needed”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Exactly the break I needed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

My partner and I decided to get away from Sydney for a weekend and have a relaxing break in Melbourne. We had never stayed at The Olsen before and we were delighted the minute we walked in the door.

We were promptly seen to by a young man, Jarrod, checked us in quickly and got us settled. He went out of his way to look after us the entire stay.

The open plan suite looked over chapel st , and was spacious and quiet. Exactly what we wanted. The mini bar had delightful sweets and treats you don't normally see in a hotel which was also a delight.

The bedding was luxurious and I had the best nights sleep in a long time.

It was a shame to leave after only 2 days and we'll definitely be back .

Highly recommended

• Stayed March 2014
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Davidbbeck,

What a fantastic review! It sounds like you had a fabulous weekend away here at [The Olsen]. First Impressions do always count so I am thrilled to hear that you were delighted on arrival.

I have mentioned your kind words regarding Jarrod! It is lovely to hear that he was able to enchance your stay with us.

Our ArtSeries Signature bedding is now available for guests to purchase, so you can take the comfort home with you!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Rowena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I never really travel to Melbourne, but was fortunate this time around to travel here for work. I decided to stay on for the weekend and see the sights and shopping of this cultured city. Staying at the Olsen meant I was in the right place. This funky and well-designed hotel seemed to be the place to be in Melbourne!!! I ran into 2 celeb's just in the lobby when I arrived! The rooms are of adequate size and the mini bar and snacks list adds a touch of colour and change to what I normally see in every other hotel. All staff were professional and had great attitude, however I have to mention the manager Jarrod’s extra touch. We asked Jarrod for a good Italian restaurant to eat at and the suggestion was only a short walk. This recommendation turned out to be one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. Stay here and remember to ask Jarrod about his suggestions!!

I hope to be back soon 

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bevan M,

It sounds like you had a wonderful time here in Melbourne. Next time you will have to come and stay when you are not working!

It is nice to hear that you noticed the little touches here at [The Olsen].

Thank you for your kind words regarding the team. I have also passed on your lovely comments regarding Jarrod. He is very much a Melbournian in the know about what to do and see in Melbourne.

We look forward to seeing you again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with a few friends on a jaunt to Melbourne. We were met with a beautifully furnished and well stocked room which exuded elegance and class. Loved the bathrooms. Of particular note was the staff - very helpful concierge and also the manager Jarred (or Darren?) who made us feel extremely welcome and looked after. Nearly changed my otherwise poor opinion of Melbournians! Great job and I will doubtlessly stay here again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Mike S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review from your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

I would also like to thank you for the kind words regarding the Team. I am very happy to hear that our staff were helpful and made you feel welcome.

I have mentioned your kind words to my Melbournian colleague Jarrod.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

In March I stayed at the Olsen. It was heaven. I'm picky but can only say the nicest things about it. I guess I was lucky to be on the penthouse floor because the room was really spacious. The bed and linens"uber" comfortable and the special touches like T-2 teas and special coffee so appreciated. While I did not partake of the mini bar, it was extensive and not way over priced. The staff could not have been more helpful and gracious. I only worry that the next time I stay there it won't be as good. Hats off to the Olsen!

Room Tip: Pay up a little for an upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear BLSOC,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review I am happy to hear that you were able to enjoy our fabulous top floor here at the [Olsen Hotel].

I can appreciate that you noticed the little touches in our suites and thank you for the kind words regarding the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us! I can also guarantee that your next stay will live up to the first experience.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Very quiet - didn't ever hear my neigbhours. Close to cafes and woolworths is across the road. More relaxing than staying in the city. Train station is just around the corner and city is only 2 stops away. Pool is lovely and the sun deck has private areas to sit rather than it being one large area. Room was spotless and was decorated in a unique and stylish way - not the generic look of most hotels. There were bikes to rent for an affordable rate. The staff look busy (as it's a fairly large hotel) but they were always pleasant and helpful to deal with. I stayed in a studio room with kitchenette and it worked out cheaper than staying in an apartment but had everything an apartment would have. Rooms are larger than a hotel room normally would be. I actually can't fault this hotel. If I was being really fussy, I would say the pillows are too squishy and don't give enough neck support.

Room Tip: I recommend a room in one of the higher levels (e.g. level 6 and upwards) on opposite side of the bu...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Dear 216amandad216,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review! I am thrilled to hear that we were "the best hotel" you have stayed in.

I have read your review to the team here at [The Olsen] and it is a lovely example of how the little touches available to our guests deliver a unique experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

My room smelt so badly that I had to keep the window open overnight, but between the commercial garbage bins being dragged below my room for a couple of hours and the jackhammer on the building site next door, my long awaited holiday rest turned into a disaster. The next day my room was changed, gratefully, without a fuss, but that room should never have had a guest in it, and certainly not charged a rate on it.
I also left a shirt in my room and spoke to no less than 4 people over the period of 10 days, with promises that they would call me back but NEVER did. It was no surprise to me that my shirt “wasn’t found”. I had very low expectations that anyone would put their hand up and hand it in, even though I first called the hotel 3 hours after I left, discovering that my shirt wasn’t in my luggage. During this first call I was told that I would have to wait 2-3 days before your staff could check. This was unacceptable and I believe resulted in my shirt disappearing. I was told that I would have a return phone call the following week but never received one. I then called another 2 times and was promised that they would look and get back to me. No phone calls. Finally I spoke with an intelligent staff member, 10 days after my initial first call, and they did their best to try and source the shirt, with of course no success.
Unfortunately this incident was the last of several of my and my girlfriends stay with your hotel.
In conclusion, we all found the Olsen to be run by undertrained staff that left us all feeling very unsure that any of our requests would ever be resolved correctly. Unfortunately I will not be staying with the Olsen again, nor will my 3 girlfriends, their family and their friends. I appreciate one staff member trying to assist me but it came too late for any successful outcome.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank AAM204
Dear AAM204,

Thank you for choosing to recently stay at the [Olsen Hotel].

Firstly thank you for your feedback, we truly do value any and all feedback in order to continue the strive for improvement.

I have found your feedback and recommendations to be most helpful. I do sincerely apologise we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to meeting your needs, with regard to you not receiving your shirt, I can only again apologise that our team did not deliver upon the service that I would like to expect. I would also like to touch on the first impression when you checked into the room in a condition that I would not hope our guests to experience. These are all areas of your stay that could have been avoided and I do sincerely apologise to these service oversights.

Again your feedback was most helpful. I would like to discuss your recent stay with you in more detail. Please do not hesitate to contact myself or my direct manager Amy Moylan.

Rowena Collings
Carlton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here last night, for a show nearby.
Stayed in Room 1115.
Room was very nice, compact but everything you could need. Bed was beautifully comfortable with plenty of pillows and a good quality doona.
Shower room well equiped and very clean. Plenty of T2 tea and good toiletries and towels.
There is on site parking for a fee and two resturants.
We had a drink in the bar, all good.
Check in and booking was straight forward.
This isn't the heart of the city, South Yarra is approx 10mins drive for the city, well serviced by trams and trains, there is plenty of shopping, smaller boutique shops etc.
Jam factory with mega plex cinema is just down the road and there are bars, cafes and food everywhere.
Richmond is a short distance over the Yarra too.
This is a good option if you don't want to stay right in the city.
We found the staff very pleasant and helpful too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissKDonkey
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Dear MissKDonkey,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and provided great insight about the hotel and it's facilities.

We frequently get complimented on our comfortable Art Series signature bedding. We do sell all of our bedding so you can take the comfort home with you!

I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding our team here at [The Olsen]. I am delighted to hear that they were able to assist you with any queries you may of had.

We look forward to welcoming you back.