“If you don't like it here, then you're simply hard to please”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #24 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Just got back from a wonderful weekend in South Yarra. The Olsen Hotel is exceptional. The staff at the desk are very helpful and friendly. We arrived early, so they told us of a great place to have breakfast ( Two Birds on a Stone ) and when we came back, our room was ready. Lovely room on the 11th floor. Clean bathroom and extremely comfy bed. The location is also terrific. walking distance to shops, restaurants and whatever Melbourne has to offer. Highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Great city view from the 11th floor.
2  Thank lovetotravel10140
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear lovetotravel10140,

What a wonderful line you have written "If you don't like it here, then you're simply hard to please".

Thank you for such a glowing review from your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. I am happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time during your stay.

Two Birds One Stone is a favourite of the hotel's, maybe next time you can try their sister property Top Paddock also in walking distance from the property.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 May 2014

This was our third stay at an Art Series hotel. We have stayed once at The Blackman and now twice at The Olsen and they never disappoint. Great locations, friendly staff, beautiful rooms and inspiring artwork. My husband knows how much I love these hotels so I was thrilled when he surprised me for my 40th birthday with a night at The Olsen in one of the penthouses.

After tricking me into thinking that we were just going to Smith Street just for a stroll and lunch at Jimmy Grants (love those souvas George Columbaris), we drove to South Yarra. Felt very special to be pressing that Level 14 button and arriving at the Penthouse. We arrived at 2.30pm and I did not step foot outside the room until 11.00am the next morning because I did not want to miss a minute of it!

The penthouse really feels as glamorous as you would hope. Outside there are incredible views all around, huge deck with a lounge and a spa. A view like that reminded me of how amazing Melbourne is - trams down Chapel, glimpses of the Dandenongs and skyscrapers complete with twinkling MCG lights. I just sat and watched it all day! Beautiful furnishings inside - loved the big wooden table and ghost chairs. The sofa was incredibly comfortable, as was the bed. Good magazines are supplied. There is a full kitchen so I sent my husband out for supplies of which there is an abundance of close by. There is a supermarket straight across or the Prahran market just up the road.

Enjoyed a late breakfast at Spoonbill - yummy food and great coffee. Went back to reality sad to be leaving the penthouse lifestyle behind!

Dear Itchyfeet7476,

Happy belated Birthday! What a wonderful surprise you received for your birthday. We have a lot of our guests that enjoy trying each of the properties within Art Series Hotels, I am very happy to hear that you were thrilled with your stay with us.

It sounds like you had a fantastic time in the penthouse! It is a beautiful suite and it is great that you were able to make the most of it and enjoy the room.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review regarding your recent stay. Hopefully you will be able to return and stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My husband and I spent a lovely weekend at the Olsen Art Series Hotel in South Yarra recently. The John Olsen artworks throughout the hotel are very striking but have to say the hotel's best asset is its staff. They were all wonderful from start to finish - neatly presented, very courteous and helpful and friendly without being overly so. Special mention to the lovely Alana, our waitress in the Spoonbill Restaurant for dinner and both breakfasts - what a delight!

The Spoonbill Restaurant is very good. Had a marvellous dinner there on the Friday evening - entrees and main courses were beautifully presented and very tasty and our mains of the night's special - barramundi with a warm salad of potato and chorizo and the accompanying tempura prawns was fantastic. The fish was piping hot when it reached our table - most delicious.

Although our room can best be described as "compact" it was very comfortable although it only had one relaxing chair - too bad if there are 2 people in the room - one has to use the bed to relax. The plastic dining setting doesn't quite cut it for relaxation.l

The big let down was the bathroom. Although the colour scheme and layout were fine, it was very small. The wall between the bathroom and the bedroom was opaque glass so that any light from the bathroom spilled straight in behind the bed. Also, there was no lock on the bathroom door - it just pulled to and even then it wasn't flush so privacy and noise was a bit of an issue. For a woman, the lighting over the sink is, so sorry to say, awful. Obviously the designers didn't get a woman to test this before finalising the design. On check out when I mentioned the lighting the desk clerk confirmed that almost all women who stay there make a comment about the poor lighting in the bathroom. Lastly, there was absolutely no room surrounding the sink to put anything except a tube of toothpaste and your toothbrush. No room for a wet pack plus spreading out your makeup - not good!! The shower floor also did not camber towards the drainage hole so that water splashed under the shower door and made the bathroom floor wet.

Please fix the bathrooms as this room marred what was an otherwise great stay.

Room Tip: Even though our room faced Chapel Street with the trams running it was still quiet
2  Thank Us3Sydney

Dear Us3Sydney,

Thankyou for your fantastic review from your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. We are very fortunate to have signed John Olsen prints scattered throughout the hotel with the addition of original pieces in our Gallery spaces.

Your feedback regarding the staff is very much appreciated. We love to hear how guests have enjoyed their stay and it is rewarding receiving a glowing review such as the one you have written. I have passed on your kind words to Alana, who is actually a new staff member here at [The Olsen] for us to hear this is fantastic!

I have passed on your comments regarding the bathroom in your suite. Your feedback is excellent and it is important for us to know to be able to make changes that can benefit our guests.

Once again I would like to thankyou for taking the time to write such a wonderfully detailed review.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I never take the effort to write reviews, good or bad, but I could not help myself after our experience at the Olsen over the weekend.

From the moment we pulled up out the front of the building, we were treated with thoughtful and insightful customer experience. In tow with my 2 young girls, my wife and I were warmly welcomed by staff and looked after whilst managing two rug rats. They took care of the paperwork within minutes (usually this exercise when checking in lasts a good 5-10 minutes) and our bags were quickly taken off our hands (after asking first of course) up to the room.

One of the many noticable things to us during our stay was the cleanliness of not only our room, but also the entire hotel. Including little clutter making accessiblity just that around the hotel.

Once we got up to our room, it blew our mind. It was so well presented, had everything we could ask for and if we needed something (like my forgotten toothbrush), it was only a phone call away - with the staff bringing one up in a matter of minutes.

We treated ourselves to the Penthouse for one night, and it seriously blew us away. The layout was amazing, the features were incredible and then the views! Seriously, you could have a sit down funciton or cocktail party up in this room. Ceiling to floor glass gave you a 360 view of the area. We had a rainy day, so we could just watch the clouds roll in but on a sunny day, you could sit outside onthe deck chairs, the sun lounges OR do as we did and utilise the pool and warm up in the spa! Yes, it has both. We didn't even venture out of the building - it was all too good to leave.

Thanks to the entire team for our weekend - we had a ball - and it made our trip into big smoke (as we call it) - completely satisfying and one we will do again. Incredible!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong in any room - the surrounding area of the hotel is interesting...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Holidayloverlover

Dear Holidayloverlover,

I would like to thankyou for taking the time to write such a detailed review from your recent stay here with us at [The Olsen] especially since you mentioned that you are not one write reviews it is very much appreciated.

Thankyou for your kind words regarding the staff, it is lovely to hear positive feedback and kind words about the service you received.

The Lake Eyre Penthouse is a recent addition to [The Olsen] and defintely has the "wow" factor. I think it is important to treat yourself now and again and what better way to do it than in such a beautiful suite.

Once again thankyou for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Have just spent the weekend at the Olsen with three friends. Management arranged two interconnecting rooms. One room was big enough for a 'girls night in' with expansive, comfortable couches and ottoman for lounging around on to the wee hours, large tv, dining table, bathroom with large bath and inbuilt shower, kitchenette and separate bedroom with an amazingly comfortable queen bed. The other, a suite with the same stylish kitchenette and separate bathroom but a king bed and a couple of arm chairs and tv within the same space. The overall service was fantastic. The location, being its proximity to South Yarra's Chapel St was gold - a stone's throw from cinemas, shopping and eateries of various kinds galore, supermarket and very good coffee. Some celebrity spotting in the hotel's lift, restaurant and lobby was the icing on the cake for an exciting getaway for four mums on the loose!  Am looking forward to my next visit with hubby, family or heck, a different group of friends and experiencing the Olsen's day spa and Spoonbill restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2014
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Sangiecl,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review about your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

It sounds like you had a fantastic girls weekend away. It is lovely that you were able to enjoy all that surrounds us.

We look forward to welcoming you back with your family next time you stay with us.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

The perfect location for business or pleasure (I have stayed at the Olsen for both on multiple occasions in the past year). The hotel is modern, rooms are comfortable with all the luxury amenities you could ask for, the staff is attentive and friendly and the lobby has a great restaurant for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Best of all is the location, it’s in the best neighborhood of Melbourne in my opinion with easy access to the CBD and a lively nightlife. I travel over 50% of the time and rarely show loyalty to a hotel…the Olsen is my only choice in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the suite or mini suite, it's worth it.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andres m
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Andrews m,

Thank you for your kind words regarding your time here at [The Olsen].

We love receiving feedback and I am thrilled to hear that you choose to stay with us each time you are visiting Melbourne!

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time as my first experience was good 3 years ago. Since then the management or something must of changed ... for the money you pay I'd say what you get in return is not worth it. Not only was I charged twice for my room but upon check out somebody else in another room had checked out of my room no signature or any form of checks were done to check the right people are checking out of the right rooms so beware ! I was told I would receive either an email or call the following day as to the refund of charges. Heard nothing back from them for two days. Spent my whole holiday and post holiday trying to sort this out. Oh and don't bother eating at Spoonbill the restaurant hotel. Over priced and no service there too. I had to keep reminding staff of my order it took them 30minutes to make one fresh juice. Best place to eat is across the road on the left within the supermarket area there is a beautiful cafe and also dumpling bar with quick service so you don't waste time.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank trueoath
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#10 of 162 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!