Art Series - The Olsen
Oaks on Market(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$175
US$137
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$206
US$157
CrownePlaza.com
  • Restaurant
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$137
  • Restaurant
Mantra On Russell(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$122
US$117
US$85
US$79
Hotels.com
  • Fitness centre
Citadines on Bourke Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$216
Ovolo Laneways(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$168
US$143
  • Breakfast included
Stamford Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$180
US$153
  • Restaurant
The Crossley Hotel(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$97
  • Room Service
1,916 results
All reviewschapel streetsouth yarraspoonbill restaurantglass bottomsmart cardeluxe studio suitesun decktoorak roadboutique hotelrestaurant downstairsroom servicemini barlittle thingslocation is greatlate checkoutgreat roomcomfy bed
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 May 2014

If you are looking at staying in a fashionable and ecclectic part of Melbourne and in an interesting and intimate hotel, The Olsen certainly does not disappoint. My husband and I spend a lovely weekend in April in this property and loved every minute of it. The reception is swanky and hip, the room is exquisitely furnished and the restaurant within the hotel, Spoonbill, serves yummy delicious food.
Wish the bathrooms were a little bit bigger though! Getting ready for dinner was a bit hard with that much little space. Small sacrifice though!
Will be back again.
P.s. if you feel like a romantic dinner try Caffe e Cucina just up the road on Chapel Street. I haven't had such good Italian food in a long while.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Melanie C,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review! I am very happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay and you were able to capture what Art Series is all about.

Caffe e Cucina is defintely a favourite for Italian in South Yarra. It is fantastic to hear guests personal recommendations in the area.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

The Olsen, South Yarra is by far the best hotel I have stayed in. In terms of numbers, I have stayed in 18 different hotels. I experienced flawless customer service, I ate the best food at spoonbill, I drank the best coffee and most importantly, I had the best sleep in my entire life from sleeping in the most comfiest bed in the world. I will now be a regular.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 2102SY
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear 2102SY,

Wow, what a fantastic review! Thank you for taking the time to write such positive feedback regarding your stay. I am very happy to hear that you experienced excellent service and really enjoyed our restaurant Spoonbill.

Our beds are definitely a talking point and we now sell our Art Series Signature bedding so you can take the comfort home with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 19 May 2014

It is with some sadness that write this review as The Olsen has been our preferred hotel for our past five stays in Melbourne in the past 2 years. I would have preferred to take this up with somebody more senior than the front counter staff, but there seems little or no avenue for this, so Tripadvisor it is...

We booked in for three nights from Thursday, May 15. The first evening we suffered an outrageous party in a nearby room that we tolerated until 1.30am when I called reception to complain.

Reception seemed to be aware of who was making the noise and said they would call them and tell them to be quiet.

During the next hour the screaming and carry on appeared to actually move downstairs and outside and then return. At 2.30 I again called and was told that the offenders would be phoned again. I suggested a more serious approach was needed as the behaviour was outrageous, in particular one young woman who was clearly off her face.

Apart from a short cessation the chanting and screaming continued until 3.30am when finally the guests at the party left, noisily telling each other what a fabulous night it had been.

Some of the group then went to an upstairs room (maybe the penthouse) and walked around in stilletos for another half an hour or so.

When I told check-out staff at the front desk about 9am I wanted to speak to the manager one of them said she was the manager. When I asked for an explanation of how, in such a hotel, a disruptive party could be allowed to continue until 3.30am, she said she was not aware there had been a problem.

It seems to me to be incredulous that the night manager didn't pass on to the in-coming day manager that there were unruly guests in the hotel. Apart from apologising and telling me that it was hotel policy that unruly guests were removed after being warned, that was as far as it went.

I was left with the clear impression, especially after some of the offenders were heard in a lift discussing the party, that those attending the party were known to the hotel staff, almost as though they were staff, or perhaps friends of staff.

Whatever the truth, we wont be returning to the Olsen or any of the art hotels for that matter. We had hoped for a quiet night as my wife had a day-long medical conference on Friday to which she dragged herself after only a few hours sleep.

And by the way, while lying there hoping to get to sleep, you will be able to hear the lift doors open and close, boing boing boing.....

Room Tip: Not 1001. Noisy.
Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
10  Thank Tassytraveller

Dear Tassytraveller,

Firstly thank you for your feedback, we truly do value any and all feedback in order to continue the strive for improvement.

As you mentioned you have stayed with us several times over the previous two years and really enjoyed staying with us. I would hate to think that your inital first impression has been tarnished.

I do sincerely apologise we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to meeting your needs, with regard to the noise complaints continuing throughout the evening, I do sincerely apologise for these service oversights.

Again your feedback was most helpful, I do believe my manager has contacted you directly. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at the Olsen for 3 nights during our trip through Australia and we really enjoyed this place.
The room had everything you need and it was very nicely decorated. Maybe a bit on the small side but not a problem for us.
Location is unbeatable, Sounth Yarra is lovely and you can really easily reach everything.
There is a car rental office (one of the major companies) 1 minute down the road which is really convenient if you want to rent a car and drive to the mornington peninsula or 12 apostoles.
We tried also the restaurant for dinner and we really enjoyed it.
Would use for sure if again in Melbourne in the future.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Dear Rany,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review from your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. We are very lucky to be located in such a great and it is great that you were able to explore and enjoy all that surrounds the hotel.

We do offer our smart cars for hire, however if you are after a larger vehicle Avis just around the corner from the hotel is defintely a fantastic option.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner in Spoonbill. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago on short notice. The location is fabulous and there are a good number of restaurants within a 5 minute walk.
My room was on the second floor , at first I was disappointed as I like to be up high with a view, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the room opened out to the terrace with sun lounges and your own private entry to the swimming pool and gym. So really It was an excellent room.
I lay back on the sun lounge and looked at the star at night.
Friendly staff, comfortable bed and all the mod cons.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Dear citytraveller-db8,

Thankyou for taking the time to write a fantastic review after your recent stay with us. [The Olsen] is in a fantastic location and like you menitoned close to many fabulous restaurants all at our doorstep.

The level two sundeck is a lovely area for our guest to relax and unwind. I am happy to hear that you were pleasantly suprised and enjoyed your suite. Thankyou for your feedback regarding the team here, it is great to receive positive feedback.

The Art Series Signature Bedding is now available for sale, so you can take the comfort home with you!

Hopefully you will be back to stay with us shortly.