“Loved the trip”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #24 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Great hotel, very modern and clean. The location was perfect for us. Some trendy restaurants within walking distance and great boutique shopping. Very close to the train, so transport is easy and convenient . There was a small issue with the cot, we had ordered one and they had none available. They managed to collect one from their sister hotel, but this was only much later which meant there was no place for my daughter to sleep. Helpful and friendly staff who were also very knowledgeable .

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the main road which can get noisy at times
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GarethSA
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear GarethSA,

Thank you for taking the ttime to write a review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. It sounds like you were able to explore the local area and enjoy what is on offer.

I do apologise for the delay with the cot, I have taken your feedback onboard and will ensure that this does not happen in the future.

Also I would like to thank you for the kind words regarding the team here. It is of great asset to our guests that all our staff are "in the know" about what to do and see in Melbourne.

Hopefully we will see you again,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was fortunate enough to spend 2 days at The Olsen Penthouse recently. Where do I start?
Firstly - parking - easy and accessible.
Staff - helpful, polite and knowledgeable.
Food - tasty, plenty of it and always nice surprises.
Wine - Fabulous selection of local and international.
Room - Spacious, roomy, kitchen complete. Views unbelievable.
Location - Central to everything that South Yarra and Prahan has to offer.
Art - as an artist, I appreciate the works that were spread throughout the penthouse. They were originals and beautifully framed and located in key parts of the rooms.
Notes: The spa outside was nice but felt a little exposed to the elements despite the clear screen. It gets very hot in the living area even with the blinds down and the air conditioning on. Noise can be an issue at night but it does become a dull noise that you get used to.
Summing up: It's a wonderful experience to stay at The Olsen, one not to be missed and hope I get the opportunity again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank UrbanDrifter

Dear GoGirlTraveller,

What an exciting review to read! I love how you touched on different elements of your stay and gave such creative descriptions. We are very fortuante to be located in a fantastic location surrounded by restaurants, cafe's and the shopping precinct of Chapel Street.

The John Olsen Penthouse is a beautiful room that has incredible views and origional artworks of Dr Olsen. I am so pleased you had a terrific time with us here at [The Olsen], should you need anything in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I will certainly take care of your needs.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

This place is right on chapel, away from the busy part of it so you can get sleep but close enough to be able to walk to the busy part in minutes. Beautiful decor! very modern feel about it which i personally love. We luckily got a view of Chapel St which was nice. The bed was comfy, the bathroom was clean & the room was a decent size. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Len L,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review regarding your stay here at [The Olsen].

We are very lucky to be located within the fabulous shopping precinct of Chapel Street. I am am very happy to hear that you really enjoyed the quirks of [The Olsen]. We are now selling our Art Series Signature Bedding so you can take the comfort home with you!

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The Olsen was chosen because of its location. It is in a good area and very close to some great restaurants. The biggest issue during my stay was the noise. I was on the third floor looking over the outdoor area where some people had gathered quite late at night and were engaging in very loud conversation. It was impossible to get any sleep, so reception had to be called. Although I believe they sent someone to quieten them down, this only worked for about 5 minutes. I think the windows need double glazing! There are some quirky things about the Olsen to be enjoyed, including the art books in the room and the Smart cars for hire at $8 per hour ++ The trams are right outside and the train station is close by. I would return but ask for a room on a higher floor next time.

Room Tip: Side room with a balcony on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Rowena C, Public Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear Lin_away_today,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the great location and facilities that [The Olsen] has to offer.

I am unhappy to hear that you were unable to get sleep due to noise disruptions. I do apologise as we do enforce an "Entertainment Policy" which ensures that guests do not make unexceptable noise after 22:00.

I would be happy to allocate you a room on your future stay in a quiet location of the hotel to ensure you get a fantastic night's sleep. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct if you do wish to make a future booking.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Upon checking out we were asked by staff, if we enjoyed our stay, would we consider writing a review on trip advisor. We said 'what if we didn't', to which we received 'quantity over quality'?? And this is why we're writing a review here, and have not taken it up with the hotel directly.

Deluxe spa suite booked from Thurs 22nd to Sun 25th May. Friday 23rd was our wedding.
Upon inspecting the room a few months ago, we were told that because this was for the night before my wedding and 2 nights following, if there was anything at all the hotel could do, please let them know.
Closer to the date I asked if some parking could be arranged for my makeup artist (less than 3 hours) and the photographer (less than 1 hour). I was told that no complimentary parking could be arranged, and that my guests could park at the Olsen and charge their parking to my room. I've seen cars park in their driveway for longer than that!
Next issue, no breakfast. This was probably my fault as I did not check when booking the room. However, for almost $600 a night, and the weekend of our wedding, would bacon and eggs really have been too much to ask?
The bathroom was too small considering the size of the rest of the room.
The outdoor area needs some greenery to give you something more than concrete walls to look at.
There was no saucepan in our room, and upon request, all that was delivered was a 'deeper' fry pan.
We could not use only one hot plate at a time, without the other heating up.
It took me almost 20 minutes to rid the fridge of mini bar stock to make enough room for our own food and wine which would be expected by the hotel, given the room has a kitchen.
Minor points really, but given this was our wedding weekend, we hoped the staff would go above and beyond to make this a memorable weekend. They didn't. And we regret giving the Olsen a go as we wouldn't stay here again either.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe spa suite but this is on level 1, with no view and a 3 metre high concrete w...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aahsarah

Dear aahsarah,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review regarding your recent stay with us. I have found your feedback and recommendations to be most helpful, and the details that were overlooked throughout your stay shouldn’t have occurred but I have made steps to rectify them.

I do sincerely apologise we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to meeting your needs.

Again your feedback was most helpful. I would like to make myself available should you wish to contact me direct with any concerns or queries regarding your recent stay with us.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

If you are looking at staying in a fashionable and ecclectic part of Melbourne and in an interesting and intimate hotel, The Olsen certainly does not disappoint. My husband and I spend a lovely weekend in April in this property and loved every minute of it. The reception is swanky and hip, the room is exquisitely furnished and the restaurant within the hotel, Spoonbill, serves yummy delicious food.
Wish the bathrooms were a little bit bigger though! Getting ready for dinner was a bit hard with that much little space. Small sacrifice though!
Will be back again.
P.s. if you feel like a romantic dinner try Caffe e Cucina just up the road on Chapel Street. I haven't had such good Italian food in a long while.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Melanie C,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review! I am very happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay and you were able to capture what Art Series is all about.

Caffe e Cucina is defintely a favourite for Italian in South Yarra. It is fantastic to hear guests personal recommendations in the area.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

The Olsen, South Yarra is by far the best hotel I have stayed in. In terms of numbers, I have stayed in 18 different hotels. I experienced flawless customer service, I ate the best food at spoonbill, I drank the best coffee and most importantly, I had the best sleep in my entire life from sleeping in the most comfiest bed in the world. I will now be a regular.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank 2102SY
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear 2102SY,

Wow, what a fantastic review! Thank you for taking the time to write such positive feedback regarding your stay. I am very happy to hear that you experienced excellent service and really enjoyed our restaurant Spoonbill.

Our beds are definitely a talking point and we now sell our Art Series Signature bedding so you can take the comfort home with you.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Rowena

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#10 of 162 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!