“Very average”

Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Very average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at the Olsen on the Sunday night of the long weekend on the 8th floor. Having read all the good reviews we were looking forward to a relaxing night away from the kids. Unfortunately we would have had more sleep had we have stayed home. It was very very noisy many many times through the night and it was very smokey to the point we both woke with sore throats. The reception staff were nice through out our stay but when we told them about our bad night their reply to us was why didn't you call us and yes we had some trouble on the 8th floor last night they were young and the hotel is non smoking someone must have been smoking through the vents. I didn't want to stay somewhere where I would have to be making calls to the reception in the middle of the night complaining about guests which was why I chose a boutique hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarena C
Rowena C, Public Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Sarena C,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review regarding your recent stay with us. In regards to the issues you experienced during your stay I can only apologise for any noise you experienced. In addition you are absolutely correct we are a non smoking hotel.

I would like to discuss this further with you as I do not believe you were able to receive the Art Series Experience we wish our guests to receive. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

Rowena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

The location of the Olsen Hotel is perfect and the staff were very professional and friendly and understand service.
Although our room was a little small and our request for a balcony room somehow got lost!
However this sort of new boutique hotels are getting it right.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Louise C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. I am delighted to hear that were impressed by our team here.

I apologise if you were unable to get the balcony request during your stay, perhaps we can allocate it ahead of time for your next stay with us. Once again thank you for writing a fantastic review.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

My Melbourne home! Amazing room, friendly staff and the resident restaurants are simply delicious! You dont need to leave! But if you do, you only have to walk a few steps and you're on Chapel st- one of Melbourne's best hsopping strips with everything at your finger tips!

Have to mention Jarrod who is always a pleasure to deal with and always makes me feel welcome. He remembers every little detail which makes me feel valued and not a number in the system.

Well done guys!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Dear Christian C,

What a fabulous review to receive! I am absolutely thrilled that you have enjoyed a return visit to [The Olsen]. It sounds like you have explored and enjoyed all that South Yarra has to offer.

Jarrod is one our of Duty Managers here at [The Olsen] and I am delighted to hear that he has made your stay one to remember.

We look forward to welcoming you back,

london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Booked this hotel because I liked the look and classy vibe. Was bitterly disappointed. 275 dollars and they still charge for EVERYTHING including wifi for three dollars and hour and plastic water bottles on the bedside table for three dollars. Just looks cheap to have the price on everything in an expensive hotel room. Yuk. We were on the 10th floor the windows were filthy and the restaurant menu and hotel instruction booklet had greased finger prints all over it. The kitchenette was dirty and the electricity sockets were moldy. It was a sad surprise to find the hotel in such dire straights. The kicker was my spa experience were I was told I wasn't allowed to take the bathrobe back to my room (???) So was made put my clothes back on after an oil massage. The receptionist was a sour faced lady who made our welcome to the place pretty dire. What a dizzappointment I was so looking forward to this place.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank tollu
Dear tollu,

I have found your feedback and recommendations to be most helpful, and the details that were overlooked throughout your stay shouldn’t have occurred.

I do sincerely apologise we didn’t achieve the level of service we do strive for when it comes to meeting your needs, with regard to the clear problems in your suite with the cleaning issues I can only appologise as it is not the the impession we wish for our guests to receive.

Again your feedback was most helpful, Please feel free to contact me direct as I would like to further discuss your recent stay in more detail.

Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Simply my favourite hotel. The staff are friendly, the beds are amazing and the location is great! The new menu in spoonbill is perfect for the cooler weather. I had the slow cooked lamb and it was amazing. Have to mention the service of Carlos and Alex who went above and beyond for me.

Room Tip: Lower floor balconies are larger
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear James L,

Thank you for taking the time to write another fantastic review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. I am very appreciative of all guest feedback and I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We are lucky to be located on the doorstep of Chapel Street and a stone throw away from the city. We are now selling our Art Series Signature Bedding so you can take the comfort home with you!

The Bultarra Salt Bush Lamb is a new favourite at Spoonbill to warm up our guests on a cold Melbourne winters day.

I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the team here and to make a special mention to Alex and Carlos who made your stay more enjoyable.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you again for continuing to write glowing reviews regarding your stay.

Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was my third visit to Melbourne in the past year and my second stay at the Olsen. I certainly wouldn't stay anywhere else. I stayed for 2 weeks on business and was made to feel very welcome by the staff who would have struggled to be any more helpful.
The rooms are spacious and airy with a little kitchen area, have to confess that I didn't use it, but am sure it could be handy. One of the best bits about the room though is the bed, it's very comfortable indeed and certainly helped to minimise the effects of jet lag.
I used the gym a few times and whilst it's not huge it does have plenty of equipment.
I spent a fair amount of time in Spoonbills and ate there a couple of times, the food is excellent and the staff are very good indeed. It's nice to see a familiar smiling face when you are away for a couple of weeks.
The hotel itself is very well located, South Yarra is a great place to be. The hotel is only a short walk from plenty of 'stylish' shops and excellent restaurants, but also only a ten minute walk from the rail station and tram stops are even closer. You can be in the centre of the city in 15 minutes.
I am back in Melbourne in October and will be booking to stay at the Olsen again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Alan H,

I am absolutely thrilled to hear that you had such a wonderful stay at [The Olsen]. I love the title "The Only Place To Stay In Melbourne" we wish for all of our guests to experience what Art Series Hotels has to offer.

I am delighted that you mentioned how the team here are more than helpful and that you felt welcome. It is defintely a bonus having a kitchenette in the room, however with so many restaurants and cafe's in the area it is tempting to eat out often.

We are now selling the Art Series Signature Bedding so you can take the comfort home with you.

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and insightful review about your recent stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great staff, friendly atmosphere, clean rooms, and great food from Spoonbill - nice to see some changes in the menu as well.
The only place to stay in Melbourne!
A special thanks to Jarrod and Aisha for making each visit memorable!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Matt S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a fantastic review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. I am delighted to hear that you received excellent service and enjoyed dining in Spoonbill Restaurant.

I would also like to thank you for the kind words regarding Jarrod and Aisha. I have passed on your positive feedback and they are both happy they were able to assist in making your stay even more enjoyable.