“Best Little Hotel!”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #28 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Sadly we only got to spend one night at this hotel during a fleeting visit to Melbourne and I could have spent a lot longer! The second we entered the hotel we were greeted with the most gorgeous scent wafting through. Whether it was scented candles or something else, it was the most beautiful scent and it set the tone for a hotel that overlooks nothing! This hotel has a cute wee smart car outside, some vintage push bikes for hire, a really cool pool area and a great cafe at the bottom. Everything you need all in one place!

Our room was stunning, beautifully appointed with a range of up to date magazines (brand new), lovely toiletries and a seriously comfortable bed. Positioned on Chapel Street you really can't ask for a better location to explore some of Melbourne's best shops on Chapel Street, Armadale etc. The staff were excellent and introduced me to Burch and Purchese, a simply divine artisan cake store next door which was the perfect place to buy a surprise birthday cake for a friend. Amazing!

Normally we stay with friends in Melbourne but we cannot wait to get back here! I would recommend this in a heartbeat and hope to return as soon as possible.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Nicola,

Thank you for writing a wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. We may have a secret for the scent in our lobby and I think it is fantastic that you have written your initial first impression arriving at [The Olsen].

Our Smart Cars and Dutch Lekker Bicycles are a popular option for guests to hire. We are very lucky to have a funky glass bottom pool that overlooks Chapel Street.

I am very happy to hear that you loved your suite! We like to provide guests with interesting magazines. We use Evo bathroom products which are fabulous!

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review of your experience here at [The Olsen].

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Rowena

Write a ReviewReviews (1,832)

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

The staff were friendly and the room was comfortable which is why we've given 3 out of 5, but there were a number of shortcomings that we would not normally expect from a 5-star hotel:

1. They took the entire room cost plus $100 for a deposit on the Friday. It's now Monday evening and we're still waiting for our money back, so effectively the hotel is currently holding double the room charge plus $100. Assuming this was an error and not standard practice.
2. TV had a fault whereby the screen kept fading and sometimes blacking out.
3. Ipod player didn't work properly. Kept stopping briefly every few seconds.
4. Upgrade was offered a few days before our stay. However, hotel was full so it couldn't be honoured. Understand these things aren't guaranteed, but it did cheapen the offer somewhat. Why not just give the upgrade to us and then make our existing room available to another customer?
5. A few other minor details like the toiletries not being replaced.

Stayed: July 2014
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Sjs 1999,

I am dissapointed to hear that you experienced numerous shortcomings during your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

It is Art Series Hotels policy to take a preauthorisation of the accomodation plus $100.00 for incidentals. This should of been advised upon arrival, in addition if you use the same credit card on check out it will release the difference on your account.

If you did use a different credit card, eftpos or cash on check out this may be why there is still a pending charge on your account. I do apologise if this was not communicated to you.

In regards to the Television and Ipod player not working properly I have alerted our maintenance team. The toiletries should defintely be replaced on a daily basis so I do apologise as this should not of occured.

I would like to discuss with you your stay further as I do not believe you were able to enjoy the Art Series Experience we wish for our guests to have. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct rowena_collings@artserieshotels.com.au.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We recently stayed for one night and were impressed with our room and its appointment. Our studio suite was tastefully decorated and well presented, with a spacious feel to the room. The bed was comfortable and provided us with a very good night's rest. The close proximity to Chapel St and Toorak Rd with its eateries was convenient and gives one plenty of choices in terms of dining choices. We would recommend this place even for a weekend getaway!

Room Tip: Rooms on the west and upper floors are quieter, just ask reception for a quiet room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear aushades,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed the suite and experience that Art Series Hotels has to offer.

We are now selling the Art Series Signature Bedding so you can take the comfort home with you!

We are very fortunate to be located next to all that Chapel Street has to offer.

Once again thank you for writing a detailed review.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed here for a long weekend Thursday-Sunday. Great location. Free upgrade on check in. Very friendly staff. The pool was very cold but other than that a fantastic hotel. Would love to go back again :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear simrai,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us! I am very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay here at [The Olsen].

We are very fortunate to be located right next to the buzz of Chapel Street. Thank you for your kind words regarding the team here I will be sure to pass on your feedback.

The glass bottom pool is a great asset to the hotel, however despite being heated on a cool Melbourne day it may be rather refreshing!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stay here 3 or 4 times a year and always look forward to it. The beds are as comfortable as I've ever slept in. The pillows are like sinking into fluffy clouds. So comfortable that I'd be tempted never to leave the room!
Situated in Chapel Street, it's conveniently located to a shopping mecca and the wonderful selection of cafés and restaurants that Melbourne has on offer.
The hotel staff go out of their way to please and have never disappointed.
The bathrooms however have very poor lighting - not a problem for most but hard work for a girl with poor eyesight putting on her make-up ! Maybe magnifying mirrors could be provided in each room. Small issue in the scheme of things - but every little thing helps make an experience more enjoyable.
Spoonbill Restaurant has delicious food - but they could do with a lot more staff on during the morning breakfast rush as the service is always exceptionally slow at this time - so much so that I will now go elsewhere for breakfast.
In summary I always look forward to my visits to this lovely welcoming boutique hotel.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear KazinSydney,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your stays here at [The Olsen]. It sounds like you have become a local to the hotel and discovered all that South Yarra has to offer.

Thank you for your kind words regarding the team here at [The Olsen].

[The Olsen] is currently in process of installing new environmentally friendly LED lighting in guest suites, which will ensure guest suites are much brighter.

I will pass on your feedbackback to Spoonbill Management regarding the delays. We do really appreciate guest feedback in order to improve and exceed guest expectations.

Once again thank you for writing a detailed review.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel recently. There are so many lovely features - the beds are super comfy, the food in the downstairs restaurant is fresh, healthy and devine.The amenities are fantastic -great gym as is the location of the hotel.
Staff were lovely and really helpful as well. Will definetly stay here on my next trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear amanda t,

What a wonderful review to read! Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

Thank you for your kind words regarding the team here. We love to receive guest feedback.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here for three nights, overlapping a weekend, in a Studio Suite. The staff were very friendly upon arrival and throughout the stay. Surprisingly, the hotel is starting to show some wear, for instance the carpet was ripped up near the lift on the floor of my room. The room itself was quite spacious for one person. Ordered dinner via room service one night, it was quite nice, it was comparable to cafe dining.

On the downside, it was noisy due to other guests coming and going at all hours, and the room didn't feel quite as clean as others I have stayed at ( the dark carpet strangely did not do a good job of hiding stains or dust).

I probably won't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear WHAaA_family,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen]. I would like to say thank you for the kind words regarding the team here. I am disapointed to hear that there was ripped carpet, I will be sure to follow this up. I do apologise for any noise experienced during your stay. We do have a strict Entertainment Policy that outlines after 22:00 noise must subside.

I would really love to speak with you direct regarding your stay as I feel you didn't receive the Art Series Experience we wish our guests to receive. Please do not hesitate to contact me direct on rowena_collings@artserieshotels.com.au.

Rowena

Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Art Series - The Blackman
Central Business District
Alto Hotel on Bourke
Alto Hotel on Bourke
#9 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Art Series - The Olsen? Share your experiences!