“Excellent”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
“Excellent”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived very late at night and were greeted in a warm and friendly manner , our room was beautiful and with the best beds we've ever had the pleasure of sleeping in , lovely room decor, excellent customer service, recommend breakfast at spoon bill restaurant and dinner at steers was very good, pricey but you get what you pay for and we were very happy with our stay

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Deborah B,

I am very happy to hear that you felt a warm welcome from the team here at [The Olsen]. We are now selling our Art Series Signature Bedding so you can take the comfort home with you!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed dining in both of our restaurants Spoonbill and Steer.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Rowena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Bunbury, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

After a number of trips to Melbourne in recent times, it was a delight to finally book ourselves into The Olsen. From the moment you arrive at this (boutique) hotel there is an air of sophistication and a smiling high standard of service, as you'd expect.
Immaculately clean, beautifully appointed. The rooms are petite but Melbourne isn't really a city for wallowing in your hotel room.
My only reservations were the "frosted" (they're covered with decals of Olsen's work) glass bathroom walls that effectively have the toilet and shower situated IN the bedroom do require you to have a certain casual familiarity with you room mate! ;-) No matter for couples though, really.
An added bonus during our stay was to come downstairs and bump into John Olsen himself, in the lobby!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear OLANDMM,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review regarding you recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

I am delighted to read that you were able to capture what Art Series is all about and with the addition of meeting Dr John Olsen!

Once again thank you for providing feedback. We really do appreciate hearing from our guests and their experiences.

Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

After a really great stay in March, I returned to The Olsen for 3 nights. I, wrongly, assumed I would get a similar room to the one I had before as I was paying the same rate. The room I had before was of a generous size, with a sofa and an impressive kitchenette. We had asked for a quite room but were very disappointed to find ourselves in a very small room, absolutely no room for suitcases, let alone a luggage rack. Dishwasher powder for the kitchenette sink, but no dishwasher! After the first night I dropped off a list of items that needed attention. Within an hour I was contacted and offered an alternative room. Staff were very helpful and friendly and wanted to ensure our stay met expectations. Apparently the rooms are of "different layouts", but the pricing does not seem to differ. I suggest you make close enquiries as to the layout and size of the room you are booking and paying for. The Olsen is well situated although I think I might return to The Cullen next visit after all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MML651
Dear MML651,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

I am sorry to hear that we were unable to allocate you a room similar to your previous stay with us.

I am happy that our team here were able to assist and ensure you enjoyed your stay with us. I would love for you to return to stay with us here at [The Olsen]. If you would to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact me direct as I would be happy to ensure we could get you into a room that you will love!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I'm awake. Writing this review.

I shouldn't be. As we were promised a 1.00 pm checkout.

We were woken at 9.30 by the cleaners barging into our room. They then barged in again at 11.30. Then reception rang at 12, to check what time we were leaving, despite happily advising us on check-in of our late checkout.

Get it right Olsen. Never again.

Stayed August 2014
7 Thank Peter F
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Peter,

Thank you for your comments. I want to start with my sincere apologies as you were distrupted numerous times.

I am dissapointed that our team had not communicated to ensure you had your 1pm late checkout that was advised upon check in.

I would like to discuss your stay with you further as I do not feel you were able to experience all that [The Olsen] has to offer.

Please do not hesitate to contact me direct.

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

we've stayed twice - very relaxed, with great service, staff, rooms, artwork (unique Olsen theme obviously), outside of the duller CBD but ideal distance from sporting and cutural venues nearby - now our Melbourne hotel of choice.

Room Tip: all the rooms have standard city views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Dear stew102,

What a great review. I really appreciate the time you have taken to highlight our hotel and our team here at [The Olsen].

We are passionate about creating unique experiences for our guests, and it means a lot to our staff to know we could create that for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to [The Olsen] in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel last weekend and all I can say is how extremely disappointed I was. I've been wanting to stay at the hotel for quite some time and have had amazing experiences at The Blackman so I was really looking forward to a weekend away. While there the staff were amazing, friendly and happy to help but unfortunately the room was completely disappointing and not what I was expecting for the cost of our stay. Before I even entered my room I had to go back downstairs as the room card was not working, this would happen again the day after - while only a small annoyance, when accompanied by the fact the bathroom door scraped on the floor making a terrible noise each time you used it and the reverse cycle air conditioner being loud and unsettling it does not a happy guest make. While the bed was comfortable, the quilt was merely places between 2 sheets and had no cover on and the mini bar did not seem to have been restocked. The thing I found most irritating though, was after providing details of the card that was to be charged they then debited the costs from another card that was used to make the booking - not such a big deal except for the fact they are still holding the room fees and also another $200 bond (only meant to be $100). It took two emails and 48 hours for me to get a response as to why this was and am still waiting to receive the invoice I requested. Overall I still had a nice weekend away, and enjoyed the interaction with the amazing staff, however I wouldn't be recommending this hotel unfortunately.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear whoisbee,

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback following your stay at [The Olsen].

I want to start with my sincere apologies, It is with great sadness to read that you were disappointed with your stay.

I would like to thank you for your kind words regarding the team here, I will be sure to pass on your feedback.

I am sorry to hear that there were a few issues with your suite. I have made provisions to ensure that these issues do not occur again.

In regards to the preauthorisation taken on the credit card charge on arrival. Occasionally there are delays on this refund at the user end due to individual bank problems; however it should have been released to you within 48 hours.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further correspondence, I would love to invite you back to stay with us. If you would like to contact me direct rowena_collings@artserieshotels.com.au.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

A long weekend in Melbourne with my partner, we had had several people recommend to stay here. Not one to normally complain about things, the hot water system was not working well and we had luke warm showers each day(pretty disappointing after a day out in Melbourne winter). After mentioning it to front office they said someone would look into it. No one did. We mentioned it again at check out and were told front office manager would be in contact with us. After not being contacted I emailed again and have had still no response 5 weeks later.

An industry person, I was very pleasant about my complaint and viewed it more as feedback for them to rectify the problem. It was a shame as this is not a cheap hotel and we were left a little disappointed.

Hotel was nice - disappointed about the service.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Peter,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently at [The Olsen].

I do believe that our management here at [The Olsen] contacted you regarding your stay with us.

We love to receive feedback in order to strive for improvement. Please let me know if you are to book with us in the future as I feel as though we can ensure you experience all that Art Series has to offer.