“Post-modern is not necessarily pre-obsolete”

Art Series - The Olsen
Ranked #25 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Post-modern is not necessarily pre-obsolete”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

The Olsen in Melbourne is a fine hotel. Unpretensious, but dedinitely attentive to detail, room full of interesting art, excellent bed, all room and bath features working perfectly, brilliant location. Breakfast is OK and reasonably priced and just next to the hotel is a fine steak house. Staff is friendly and professional. A hotel as hotels should be. All the post modern works of art and books, the design furniture and objects do not interfere with a nice home away from home feeling. I will be back.

Room Tip: High floors have a nice view and are very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
"MPoloSolo"

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review regardng your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

It is always very rewarding to hear fantastic feedback regarding a guest stay. I really appreciate that you mentioned the team here at [The Olsen].

Rowena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

The art work around the hotel is lovely, but it is really all the lovely little touches that make this hotel such a lovely place to stay. The bed and pillows are so comfortable, the shower is good and the service is attentive and friendly. Everything was done well and made our stay very relaxing and enjoyable.

Being on Chapel Street was a great location, plenty to see and do, plus easy access to other parts of Melbourne if you need. I would definitely stay again.

Dear Nicole,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review regarding your recent stay here at [The Olsen].

I am delighted to hear that you made comment regarding the little touches you noticed throughout the hotel. We wish for our guests to have a unique and inspiring experience.

I would also like to thank you for the kind words regarding the team here at [The Olsen]. We love to receive guest feedback.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

Well located close to Sth Yarra station and trams, many apartment developments coming up around the hotel, try to get one with a semi decent view, variable service levels, parking can be a challenge but manageable

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
"Plain_Truth"

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

We are very fortunate to be located in a fantastic location close to public transport and the buzz of Chapel Street.

I am dissapointed to hear that the service levels you experienced were mixed.

If you would like to discuss your recent stay with us, I would be happy for you to contact me direct.

Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've stayed at the Olsen twice now, and have loved it both times.

Here's what I love about it — Wonderful staff who allowed an early check-in after traveling for 22 hours by plane; the incredible art hanging everywhere; the super comfortable beds and nice linens; strong WiFi; the kitchenette in my room; plenty of coffee and tea (as in more than two packs); the fact that when I asked for a quieter room (because of construction noise) they gave me one without any hesitation; the food at their restaurant Spoonbill; the Chapel St. district with its great shops, cool cafes and markets; being close to the running trail along the Yarra river.

Some thoughts to make it even better — Put a door on the gym so we don't freeze in the winter months (it's basically open to the outside); the wait staff in Spoonbill could be more attentive and friendlier; make WiFi free; more channels on the TV (e.g. CNN, BBC News).

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank StorytellerBill
Dear Bill,

Thank you for your fantastic review regarding your return stay with us here at [The Olsen]. I am delighted to hear that you were impressed with the team.

I would also like to thank you for your feedback regarding improvements with the hotel. I have passed this onto each department mentioned in order to strive for improvement.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived very late at night and were greeted in a warm and friendly manner , our room was beautiful and with the best beds we've ever had the pleasure of sleeping in , lovely room decor, excellent customer service, recommend breakfast at spoon bill restaurant and dinner at steers was very good, pricey but you get what you pay for and we were very happy with our stay

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Rowena C, Guest Relations Manager at Art Series - The Olsen, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Deborah B,

I am very happy to hear that you felt a warm welcome from the team here at [The Olsen]. We are now selling our Art Series Signature Bedding so you can take the comfort home with you!

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed dining in both of our restaurants Spoonbill and Steer.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Bunbury, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2014

After a number of trips to Melbourne in recent times, it was a delight to finally book ourselves into The Olsen. From the moment you arrive at this (boutique) hotel there is an air of sophistication and a smiling high standard of service, as you'd expect.
Immaculately clean, beautifully appointed. The rooms are petite but Melbourne isn't really a city for wallowing in your hotel room.
My only reservations were the "frosted" (they're covered with decals of Olsen's work) glass bathroom walls that effectively have the toilet and shower situated IN the bedroom do require you to have a certain casual familiarity with you room mate! ;-) No matter for couples though, really.
An added bonus during our stay was to come downstairs and bump into John Olsen himself, in the lobby!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear OLANDMM,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review regarding you recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

I am delighted to read that you were able to capture what Art Series is all about and with the addition of meeting Dr John Olsen!

Once again thank you for providing feedback. We really do appreciate hearing from our guests and their experiences.

Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

After a really great stay in March, I returned to The Olsen for 3 nights. I, wrongly, assumed I would get a similar room to the one I had before as I was paying the same rate. The room I had before was of a generous size, with a sofa and an impressive kitchenette. We had asked for a quite room but were very disappointed to find ourselves in a very small room, absolutely no room for suitcases, let alone a luggage rack. Dishwasher powder for the kitchenette sink, but no dishwasher! After the first night I dropped off a list of items that needed attention. Within an hour I was contacted and offered an alternative room. Staff were very helpful and friendly and wanted to ensure our stay met expectations. Apparently the rooms are of "different layouts", but the pricing does not seem to differ. I suggest you make close enquiries as to the layout and size of the room you are booking and paying for. The Olsen is well situated although I think I might return to The Cullen next visit after all.

1 Thank MML651
Dear MML651,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review regarding your recent stay with us here at [The Olsen].

I am sorry to hear that we were unable to allocate you a room similar to your previous stay with us.

I am happy that our team here were able to assist and ensure you enjoyed your stay with us. I would love for you to return to stay with us here at [The Olsen]. If you would to stay with us again please do not hesitate to contact me direct as I would be happy to ensure we could get you into a room that you will love!