“Better than CBD options” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Crown Metropol Melbourne
Ranked #23 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Better than CBD options”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012 via mobile

Having always stayed in the Melbourne CBD over many years, Crown Metropol was our first experience staying in the Southbank / Crown Casino precinct and we'll definitely go back. Easy access to Crown restaurants albeit thru the casino but not too bad. Very nice rooms with clever optional integration of the bathroom into the rest of the space if desired. Try to get a deal including valet parking and breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (813)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

After staying 5 nights in a Luxe Room at the Crown Metropol with my wife for our 1st trip to Melbourne, we had a mixed feeling about the hotel.

The hotel was recently completed and is still considered new but when comparing to other 5-star hotels in Asia completed in the past 2 years, I find there are a few things lacking. 1) There are no bath tub and only a walk-in shower; 2) There is only 1 sink; 3) They decide to finish the TV wall with paint which i don't see these days in a new 5-star hotel. While these things don't bother me too much if I was travelling for business, I do hope to have these amenities available during a vacation because I would tend to stay in the room longer than on a business trip. It seemed that they had spent a lot of money to decorate the lobby but ran out of budget for the room.

Sadly what did bother me most was the Hotel Management. Besides the rooms were not properly cleaned and the training for house keeping was poor, the management staff was arrogant and rude. I travel for business almost every week and take 4-5 vacations a year to different parts of the world staying in countless 5-star hotels. This is the 1st time in my life staying in a hotel I felt being kick out of the hotel because we did not check out exactly at 11am check-out time.

The hotel management would have someone call you and rudely tell you that you have pasted the check-out time and then send a staff who looked like someone from his family just died to your room and harass you by standing in your room while my wife was trying to get dressed. This all happened between 11am and 12:15pm, around 1 hours past check-out time. Then without telling you, they would charge you a fee for the 1 hour late check-out.

I would understand if I was still in the room at 3-4pm which I would gladly pay a late checkout fee but having someone treating guest so rudely on a call and then sending someone up standing in your room is unheard of fora guest leaving the room an hour late even when speaking to my friends after in the hospitality industry. When I tried to make the complaint to the General Manager on duty, the staff told me it was the Manager who gave the instruction. The General Manager refused to speak to me face to face giving me all kinds of excuse and at the end they waived the late check-out fee after seeing me waiting over 15 mins for him to meet with me.

I am sharing this experience because I did not think any hotel should treat a guest this way. Melbourne is a great city with good people, spectacular architecture and food. However, with an incident like this at the end of your trip overrides all the hard work other staff in the hotel had given me and definitely will be staying away from this hotel next time in Melbourne.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank EAU797
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Crown Metropol.

Firstly allow me to apologise regarding the overall service you experienced at our Hotel - both with respect to the interaction with the staff and the your comments regarding the cleanliness of the room. This is not the standard for our Hotel and I will address these matters.

I was also disappointed to hear that the room you had booked did not meet your expectations with regards to other properties you have stayed in. Although you had booked our leading room type, we do have Lofts (our suites) that do meet your requirements of the double vanity and the bath - I am more than happy to explain the other room categories on offer at our property.

As the General Manager of the property, I was most concerned to hear “The GM refused to speak with you”. I can assure you that this was not me and I would like the opportunity to investigate this further. When you have a moment please feel free to contact me on 61 3 9292 8888 so we can discuss this at length.

Thanks again for taking the time to write on tripadvisor

Regards
Harley Moraitis
Crown Metropol
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

CROWN METROPOL

Stayed five nights at this lovely hotel. The lighting, high up in the ceiling was not sufficient for the long and wide entrance to the check in desk. Some parts of the interior were painted brown thus the area looks cold.
Our large bedroom, oozing with warmth, had the most amazing views of Melbourne, the River Yarra, and further afield, the trains and trams. The bathroom and toilet doors are glazed glass: these can be screened off, well most of it, with sliding doors. The mirror/make up area is half open and you can see directly on to the bedroom itself so you can talk to your guest or watch television while you are giving yourself a makeover.
Breakfast was simple English breakfast but any extras required, the chef was happy to provide. Poached eggs, corned beef or eggs on toast, etc. My favourite were the blueberries with Greek yoghurt – just perfect! That with guava juice. Staff were helpful and eager to please. Shops are all along the road and walking distance to trams and metros. If time is no problem, then take a slow stroll into the city centre. A shopping arcade within the building allows are last minute shopping and fast food areas to grab something to eat. Our room, overlooking the city on the 26th floor was amazing. In the evenings, drinks and canapes on the 28th floor (where we had our breakfast) and to enjoy the incredible views across the city.
Highly recommended.

Room Tip: facing the city views on the higher floors
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank aster_palms
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

Just had a night away in a lux king room on the 18th floor. Great views with floor to ceiling windows and a great space to relax. Spacious, clean and nice decor. Didn't really know what to expect but on arrival was impressed with the modern layout and design of the lobby. Used a discount voucher from 'postcards' program and it was well worth every penny. Comfortable bed, plush dressing gowns, complimentary champers and late check out. Bliss. Only a couple of niggles - no spa treatment list in the room. Was told one would be sent up, but it wasn't. Had to chase up the champers and our door key was a bit temperamental. Club 28 lounge bar was great - dark, comfortable with awesome views and lovely cocktails. Roaring modern fire and good service. Glass wall allowed you to look down over the spa and wonderful pool and jacuzzi - gutted I forgot my swimsuit!

All in all a thumbs up and will definitely stay there again :-)

Room Tip: Try and do an express check out to avoid the queues. Our room didn't have a bath - so ask for o...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Troood
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

After staying at the Crown towers and the Promenade many times before I was eager to try the latest addition to Crown. Everything about the Metropol was perfect, the luxurious interior, the view, the location, the easy access to the Casino & shops and the whole ambience of the place was truly special. Having stayed at many hotels over the years it seems the older I get the more I rate a Hotel on the actual comfort of the Bed. Afterall a good nights sleep whether you are on Holidays or Business can make or break your entire outlook on that particular location, The Beds, Pillows and thick fluffy doona were exceptional and for an early riser My friend and I actually missed Breakfast every morning as we could not part with our Beds. (Room was a twin with 2 King Size Beds). The Concierge /Bell Boy ( I think it was Mark Middle age Guy) was very helpful and I must say if he hadn't suggested a drink on the top floor Bar overlooking the city there was no way of knowing it was there. It seems it is not used to its full potential so I do suggest more promotional material in the room. I highly recommend the metropol and would also like to add that I prefer it to the Crown Towers and will not hesitate to recommend it to anyone going to Melbourne.

Room Tip: Seems the view is great from every angle. Great location if attending the Exhibition Centre.Bring yo...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank inka28
gold coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed at the Metropol on the 18/8, and everything about the place was great!
Arrival was easy with valet parking incl in our booking. Our room was ready at midday so we were able to have our luggage brought straight up.
The room on the 25th floor was lovely and very roomy, with great views out to the city. The Sky bar on the 28th floor was amazing and well worth a visit.
We were going to the MCG and it was an easy cab ride to get there.
Ate at one of the restaurants in the casino and it was easy to get tere without having to go outside as it all connecte via a walkway, with shops on the way! Even had a win in the Casino!
Would definately reccomend staying here.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Balijojo23
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed here last week while in town for work. From arrival to departure the whole place impressed me.

Friendly helpful reception staff - as well as the valet/ bellhop guys. Quick check in and luggage arrived quickly in my room.

Room was gorgeous - 15th floor overlooking the city. Loved the black feature wall, bathroom space, fluffy robes and the squishy doona! Great amenities kit and a nice shower gel for a change. Can't fault the cleanliness.

The weather was appalling so I canned the plans to go down to the Promenade for dinner - choosing to dine in Mr Hive's Kitchen and Bar instead. Best decision ever and I'll write a review for that too. You must have the Crispy Little Pig!

The low point was the breakfast - $38 for the usual hotel buffet for something you'd pay $15 for in a cafe.

Check out was seamless and I was able to leave my car and luggage there until the afternoon when I was ready to head to the airport.

Highly recommend a stay here.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business