“Lovely but Crown Towers is far superior”

Crown Metropol Melbourne
Ranked #31 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We recently stayed for a night in the city for our 1st wedding anniversary. We have previously stayed at Crown Towers and loved the luxury. So were hoping for maybe a more modern interpretation of luxury from Metropol.
It certainly was modern and lovely, but the room lacked something. The decor was all minimal and dark tones which we normally love, but it kind of just felt...dark. We did have a city view from our 15th floor but you do feel a bit removed from the action of the city - a room at Crown Towers puts you right above the action below. Our view was predominately over the carpark below, and the hotel is set back away from the river.
No bath in our particular room, the shower head was your average water saving variety (no rain shower head, which is becoming the norm now), and the bathroom doesn't really close off completely.
There was nothing specifically wrong with our stay, just maybe expected a little more special touches for almost $600 a night. The Prince Hotel in St. Kilda is a perfect example of how to achieve minimal modern decor with an abundance of light, and a feeling of luxury without fussiness. Crown Metropol is a different hotel with it's own identity but on this occasion I felt like our room could have had more wow factor.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room as close to the river (north side of the hotel) as possible for a better view...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,987)

Reviewed 5 October 2013

The hotel is beautiful. Modern and tastefully presented, which is to be expected considering its inclusion in the Crown complex. The room was lovely, although I would hesitate to stay there with a friend as the privacy of the bathroom is minimal, but that's okay when staying with family. The bed was a king, so very roomy, and dressed with lovely pillows, doona and linens, but that's where the positives ended for me. For somebody who likes a hard bed, it would be perfect, but it was too hard for me. In the day of pillow-top beds, which are firm but soft, and which I am used to sleeping on, this felt like I was sleeping on the floor. And after long days of shopping and walking, it was a big letdown.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I stayed at the Crown Metropol on the 1st week in October for 2 nights.

My first impressions of the place we very good as the building lobby and check in was all very impressive.

The view from the 19th floor back into Melbourne and the Sky Tower from the room was incredible.

The staff then delivered complemetry champagne and chocolates which was a really perfect touch for my girlfriend's birthday.

I would recommend anyone visiting Melbourne CBD to stay in this perfect hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 4 October 2013

Stayed in a luxe twin room from 2nd to 4th Oct. Check was quick and efficient(thanks Peter). Room was on 21st floor, great views and very comfortable beds. Staff were friendly. Great location, as close to restaurants and the casino if you want to have a flutter. One gripe we had on our last visit was low water pressure in shower. Well done on fixing this issue. Over all great 2 nights away, valet were friendly and left a last impression. Well done, we will be back. Peter

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Perfectected
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Its not quite 5 star but close. Large spacious rooms, great bed, good views. Dark interior, japanese style which we liked. bathroom looked fancy but was not entirely practical and it was hard not getting water in a lot of places.
Loved the fact you were at far end of casino and didn't have to go through it if you didn't want to.
Good cheap shops at this end as well.
The sky bar is worth a vista and the pool looks great but sooooo many kids when we stayed.
Great value, parking and breakfast in the package. Brekky was really good (buffet style) but there is no way you would pay the price they charge for brekky!!!! So get a package.
Service was high, as you expect from this establishment.

Room Tip: Go the package deal.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We just had 3 nights in Melbourne and the hotel looks just like it does online. Rooms are big and clean. Staff at front desk are very helpful. Easy 15 min wall to the CBD. You can walk through the crown complex without needing to go through the casino to get to the nice restaurants. Room service was good and reasonably priced. We had a fantastic time.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Munlm
Reviewed 1 October 2013

This is a very clean hotel the rooms are very clean and comfortable, I did have to ask for a firmer pillow and got one without hesitation. Check in was efficient and friendly with everything about the hotel explained on arrival. Staff noted that I did limp due to an old injury and offered assistance in a way that caused no embarrassment. In room dining could have a few more choices. Mr Hives; I noted a comment that it was expensive, my opinion it was what you would usually pay in a large hotel. The food was excellent as was the service and wine selection very good. The 28th floor bar, excellent service and alfresco was great to chat with my cousin over a couple of drinks and some nibbles. Location is very convenient and a quick ride in a cab to anywhere in the city if you are unable to walk far. Checkout was efficient and friendly, indeed a little humour asking if I would like to stay on as there were plenty of rooms available. Smoking rooms are available on certain floors which i prefer rather than being discriminated against. I doubt you would find a better hotel at a reasonable price, look at other web pages as you can often get a better price for the hotel as I did. All up recommended, heaven only knows how many hotels I have stayed in over the years and this one stands out for me. Himself 10

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business