“Fantastic hotel -just avoid the 26th Floor”

Crown Metropol Melbourne
Ranked #26 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic hotel -just avoid the 26th Floor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

My husband and I use the Metropolitan for both business and leisure trips to Melbourne.

The porter and check in experience is friendly, efficient and any special requests are generally accommodated.

The rooms are generous, light filled and beautifully decorated. The rooms are always spotless - housekeeping really take pride in their job!! The bathroom has a great little amenity kit to make your stay comfortable. I normally struggle with the air conditioning in hotels, however the room temp was easy to control and set. We tried room service during this stay, as it comes from the kitchen at Mr Hive. It was excellent. When I placed the order I was advised a 30 minute wait for delivery, however the meals arrived within 15 minutes - fresh, hot and full of flavour.

The only pain point? We have been placed on 26th floor and although the views are spectacular, we are right beneath the hotel gym facilities. The room literally shakes when the dedicated folk doing weights decide to drop their bars or hand weights after a set. It's particularly annoying when you are awoken at 6am on a Saturday morning.

So the top tip - stay at this hotel, it is brilliant - just avoid the 26th floor.

Room Tip: Avoid the 26th floor
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Very disappointed. The overall experience was one of "get them in in, charge them, with a 1.85% credit card surcharge, and get them out".
Good things - good sized rooms, excellent housekeeping, very efficient lifts, good location for South bank.
But check in/out was lousy. Had to queue for over 10 minutes on way in, then asked for photo ID. Then the staff said they would have to call my wife (same surname) in whose name the booking was before I could check in, despite the room being paid for on my credit card. When she wasn't available I then had to handover my mobile phone to prove that I had a confirmation number.
You don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
Check out was similarly cumbersome and relatively impolite.
Breakfast staff showed a bit of attitude - felt like our presence at breakfast for $38 plus credit card surcharge - was an imposition.
Uncomfortable bedding.
The overwhelming experience was one of "we don't really want you here, but we'll have your money, upsell you to many overpriced options in the precinct and then charge you a credit card surcharge" (how do people usually pay at these hotels? gold bullion? Just put the $3 into the tariff)
Despite the sophisticated advertising, had more of an upscale motel feel about it (down to the packets of Blend 43 in the rooms).
Many better options within walking distance.

1 Thank JoshandSophie
Main Beach, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

Great size rooms, good beds with top sheet!, fab pool overlooking the city, great spa and hairdressing services. Just lovely - will be back again.
Service is great from the concierge and the front desk as well as the restaurant and the spa. Aveda products used in the spa. Shopping mall just a few steps away as are the restaurants on the riverwalk and the casino.

Room Tip: Either side is good.
Dromana, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

My partner and I had the most hassle free stay a little delay checking in ..only because this hotel is so popular with excellent tariff rates ..close to Australia,s (by far ) best entertainment centre Crown Casino ..an absolute array of fantastic eateries from the sublime to the modest ( in price) great shopping minutes away sporting venues are walking distance away..what else does one need........

geelong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed here for the convenience when visiting Crown Casino and going to a show at The Palms. It was a beautiful room, modern and well appointed. Had everything we needed. Only down side was the carpark, this was a bit difficult to find our way to and from, better signage would be really helpful for those not familiar with the area. Overall though I would highly recommend Metropol

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed as a family of 4 in a room with 2 kings which easily fitted the teens. After a busy day we decided on room service for dinner and enjoyed great steaks and desserts with a table set up for us that fitted easily in the room
The concierge was very helpful when we were hunting for a specific shop for Christmas gift buying. Staff extremely pleasant.
Pool area great with spectacular views out to the bay and spa exactly the right temperature.
The foyer has the Crown look of understated elegance. Short walk to multiple dining options and easy walk to town along the river as we hadn't mastered the trams.
Would definitely recommend the hotel and facilities.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I spent 3 nights at the Metropol while visiting my son in Melbourne. I booked a twin luxe room, this was my first mistake. The bathroom is totally inappropriate for the type of room. There is a sliding wall between the bathroom and beds however you can still see and hear all from inside the bedroom area. As there is glass doors on the cupboards it can look straight into the bathroom. Maybe ok if you are not staying with a son who is an adult, I could only imagine if it was a work colleague
Secondly, after our first night we spent the day in the CBD and upon returning to our room at 230pm, the room still had not been serviced. Eventually a man came at around 300pm, so we left. We returned a couple of hours later to find he only sort of made the beds and emptied one bin. The tea/coffee was not replenished, dishes not done, benches were not wiped etc. I am sorry but I am not paying for a backpacker room...... I called housekeeping and informed them, they eventually bought up some tea/coffee, I did ask if he had any more of the hot chocolate, yep, none.. He said he would bring some up immediately. Waited 2 hours before calling housekeeping again to request hot chocolate.
I found the rooms to be overall a disappointment, very small,a light sheet cover was put over the rough doona, you move this sheet and come face to face with a very cheap, rough crunchy doona. Not even a proper doona cover on the bed. I will say that the pillows were lovely and soft and very large.
The staff at the front desk were very polite, however, there was no directions on where we were to go after checking in. We were left to our own to find the lift etc.
Why in these expensive hotels do they leave Devondale boxed milk instead of fresh milk. I am sure they are making enough money that they could afford this little luxury. I ordered 500 ml of milk for coffee and they charged $5.00 for it. Rip off.
I know I will definitely not be staying here again, for a little extra I will stay at crown towers which I could not fault.
Hope your stay is better

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family