“A very enjoyable stay.”

Ranked #25 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“A very enjoyable stay.”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed for five nights during the Australian Tennis Open. The King room was spacious and well appointed. The bed was very comfortable. The shower is good and large.
Great pool and the lounge/bar on Level 28 is really relaxing.
The hotel whilst being part of the Crown complex felt like it was seperate which was good since we are not interested in the whole casino thing.
We were impressed with the politeness and positive attituded of all the staff we interacted with from check-in to check-out.
Room service breakfasts were of good quality and quantity.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (838)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Got a great deal the night of Sun Dec 8 as I was off to the Bon Jovi concert, It was amazing!

Firstly the deal I got on Wotif was $190 a night and for the room I got....Wow just WOW! Arrived at 2pm and was issued Room 1465, After making my way to the 14th floor and navigating a corridor that made me feel as if I was back in Las Vegas I opened the door and my room was like another world, Ultra modern design, A TV with welcome information and about 100 tv channels including some I hadn't seen outside of Asia, a HUGE King bed, A large bathroom with nice toilet, Shower and high quality toiletries. The shower and toilet were separated by partitions and looked quite luxurious.

My view was amazing and had a sea view, View of South Melbourne and some of the surrounding buildings.

A friend of mine found out about the deal I had and booked the same night, he had room 2057 and whilst the room was equally as nice I noticed he didn't have sea views and looked onto a carpark mostly, So i'd say if you can get a sea view go for it.

I decided to relax in the pool for a couple of hours which as everybody says is on level 27 and has an unspoilt view of the downtown area of Melbourne and beyond, The pool is heated and I thought was at the perfect temperature.

The spa is like wandering into a huge bathtub with a huge running shower faucet....I LOVED the design and I can honestly say out of all the hotels I've travelled too worldwide the best spa I've seen!

They are well set up with towels and lounge chairs in the pool/spa area with a funky design.

The gym looked well stocked with equipment.

As mentioned this hotel is connected to Crown Complex with the casino and a multitude of restaurants, take away eateries including Mcdonalds, KFC for those on a budget and you really wouldn't need to leave the complex unless you were a tourist wanting to explore Melbourne.

Just a tip....The wharf hotel on the river opposite the exhibition centre does some great pub meals.

After I went to the concert (Fantastic) and came back I noticed the neighbours were having a gathering, but I honestly heard nothing and my room seemed soundproofed!

Only slightly weird thing is at 4am my tv turned on and woke me up....Didn't appear to have a wake up alarm....so I turned it off and went back to sleep thinking it must of been a fluke.

The bed was super comfortable and the shower in the morning had great pressure.

Check out on Mon Dec 9 was by quite a friendly girl and I was really impressed.

I think this will be my go to hotel now if i'm in the city for an event!!!!!

I shall return!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Harvsman
Kilmore, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We booked this hotel on a whim, it was the nicest place we have stayed at. We had a luxe twin room with bay views. The pool was spectacular as well as the change room which contained a steam room a spa and showers which contained body wash, shampoo and conditioner. No need to bring a thing. Three beefs, our room was not ready until about 2.30 p.m. we were told to wait and we would receive an sms message, after half an hour my husband went to the desk and they said they had sent a message to us but it may have malfunctioned. I did not like the frosted glass toilet which could be viewed from the bedroom - no privacy, nor did we have a good sleep with the large cumbersome pillows. These beefs however would not stop us from coming here again. Well worth the price we paid at the time as well $230 for a family of four.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I recently spent five nights here. I rate this on a five start Hotel standard.
The review of Davethepom in mid-January 2014 is spot on.
Our check-in was applauding. If you want to be a queue of 30 people this is the place. You could not move in the foyer for people. The receptionist informed us that we had ordered two double beds (which we did not). When informed we had not she said 'we do not have any King bedrooms available anyway', but if we were lucky they may have one on the following day. She then said we had to pay a bond of $100 per day. That was $500 which we would get back with a week or so. I questioned this but she insisted all five start hotels do this. I rhymed off four 5 Star hotels we had stayed at in Melbourne over the last twelve months who did not. She insisted that I was wrong. As matter of interest I have not seen the $500 come through on my credit card.
Had I not already paid for the room for five nights I would have left.
Not a good start and I was quite prepared to be very critical but in my true form will remain ethical in my review.
Breakfast in the Mr Hive Kitchen was good and there was good service. It was well worth eating here.
The rooms are modern and clean and well set out. The house keeping was something else. I will post a photo of our bed after it was made up. We had trouble with the sheets creasing up and coming out for the first two nights. At first I thought it was us but when I very carefully pulled down the sheet on the third night you could see in fact the top sheet had only been pulled up to make the bed.
The staff throughout the hotel were friendly and courteous. We had no more repeats of the receptionist attitude.
I agree with Davethepom in that the place is set up for the gamblers. The lifts always take ages to get to you and were often full.
Is it the best place to stay in Melbourne? No. I think the Park Hyatt still takes it out for me. The Metropol too is busy and Casino influenced.

Room Tip: Choose your time to check in
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank ddsheywo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed at Crown Metropol Melbourne with our 4 young adult children as part of a special birthday weekend. We chose Metropol for the enjoyment we expected our kids would find with the pool - and they did indeed enjoy it! We have stayed at a couple of the other crown hotels in Melbourne previously and this one is the best in our opinion.

Our rooms were not large but certainly spacious enough for our purposes. A lovely bottle of champagne on arrival was an appreciated special touch - thank you Crown Metropol! Our bed was comfortable and we weren't concerned about the lack of privacy in the bathroom that other guests have mentioned; the glass is frosted after all. Our view by day wasn't so great looking out over a car park, however it came alive with all the lovely lights of Melbourne in the evening. Whilst our kids over the hallway, facing the opposite direction, had a better view by day but a bit lacking in the evening.

The pool was certainly as lovely as it appears in the photos, surrounded by a spectacular view by day and our beautiful city's lights by night. We were there on a lovely balmy early December evening and we particularly enjoyed the close proximity to so many excellent restaurants. You are really spoilt for choice here so the hardest thing about staying at Crown Metropol will be deciding where to dine. We ended up at the Crown Conservatory for breakfast - Oh Wow! See separate review for that one, it really warranted its own write up.

We are pretty fussy and have stayed in some beautiful hotels. This one suited our needs perfectly on this occasion with our kids. If my husband and I were looking for a night away on our own I would probably pay the extra for a larger corner suite.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We've stayed at metropol many times since it first opened and I must say I've always been a little disappointed about how our previous stays had been recognised.

When we checked in I asked if there was any chance of a complementary upgrade or a later check in due to how many times we had stayed and my husbands gold signature club card. I was told we were only on our 5th stay under my husbands name and the stays under my name didn't count or stays at other crown hotels and that we should only book under his name in the future. I found this a little disappointing as the only reason i booked 3 rooms under my name was that i was told i couldn't book them under my husbands name unless he could be there on check in which he couldn't.

We were offered an upgrade to a bay view room for an extra $60 which we took up in the end and were offered an extra 45minutes on our check out.

Our room was wonderful and definitely worth the extra money. It was a corner room with rap around glass windows and a wonderful chase lounge set up as a bed. Compared to the standard luxe room I'd highly recommended this room category.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 January 2014

What architect thought that having either glass or no wall separating the bathroom from a guest waiting in the other room would be a good idea? Not nice, I can assure you. This was a disappointing stay in what otherwise an excellent trip to the beautiful city of Melbourne.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple