“Nice hotel and relaxing ISIKA Spa - lacks great service”

Crown Metropol Melbourne
Ranked #26 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Nice hotel and relaxing ISIKA Spa - lacks great service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

Stayed overnight in a City Luxe King room as a present.
Room was nice and clean but the automatic curtains were broken so I had to call maintenance and was greeted on the phone by a rude lady.
Had an amazing deep tissue massage & pedicure at the Isika Spa but skipped on the pool - too crowded.
Mr Hives room service was nice - Buffet breakfast the following morning was nice too.
Upon checking out with my little one who greeted me the next morning I was not assisted with my 3 bags at valet parking. I waited but no one helped so had to carry them myself with my child too!
Crown you can do better surely especially for the amount you charge!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank catalienne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (823)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Gippsland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Love staying at the Metropol. Great location, comfy beds and those awesome thick black out curtains. My only disappointment this stay was the in room dining from Mr Hives. The dessert options were limited and our choices were very disappointing.

• Stayed February 2014
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

We had an overnight stay at Crown Metropol in a regular Luxe king room. The reception staff were very helpful and the room on the 25th floor was spacious and well appointed. I would recommend this hotel highly. It is conveniently located to many outstanding restaurants and a short pleasant walk to galleries, theatre and the city centre.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Coolum Beach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was my second stay at the Crown Metropol in the past three months while I attended a large travel industry trade show at MCEC. The rooms at the Metropol are fantastic - spacious, quiet, modern with really comfy beds and very well appointed. However, after spending three nights here and dining in the Mr Hive restaurant on several occasions, I started to wonder if they only have two staff employed. Went to Mr Hive for drinks on two evenings after our trade show around 5.30pm. Both times the bar was not overly busy but on both occasions service was very slow and the staff looked harassed, almost like they weren't expecting any customers at that time. It was a comedy of errors - wrong drinks, sauces for the chips were brought out 30 minutes after the chips. A colleague and I decided to Mr Hive's for breakfast one morning where it took them nearly 30 minutes to bring two pieces of toast we ordered off the a la carte menu. The toast eventually arrived without any butter or condiments, so I then had to wait for that also. On the morning I checked out I called for assistance with my luggage. After waiting over 20 minutes I gave up and loaded myself up with three suitcases, a laptop bag and a hand bag and made my own way to the lobby. I was never once offered assistance, even as I struggled across the lobby to get a taxi. In summary I would definitely recommend staying at the Metropol if you enjoy a lovely room in a great location. However, unless you have the patience of a saint I would steer clear of the restaurant and not expect any services. Like many five star rated hotels in Australia they simply do not have the staff to offer five star service.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank KiwiofOz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I regularly stay here for business and can say it has probably the most comfortable beds I have every slept in, and the rooms are very nice even with the orange carpet. Would recommend to anyone who likes a nice hotel for business or pleasure.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ben E
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for your review.

It is always great to hear from one of our regular business guests!
I am very pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Harley Moraitis
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

We booked the sky lounge package for a weekend couple escape. The room was comfortable and well appointed, but did not have a bath. No matter as we were busy with cruising Crown, swimming in the amazing pool, and enjoying the pre-dinner drinks. Unfortunately a wedding had booked out the Sky Lounge so we had to settle for Level 3 amidst the concrete, but watching the Restaurant Trams kept us distracted as they loaded nearby.

We had dinner at Mr Hive Kitchen and Bar where the food was excellent, the prices reasonable and the live music coming from the bar great.

Breakfast next morning was up in the Sky Lounge and the best buffet cooked breakfast I have enjoyed bar one (see Indigo Pearl review). Top quality produce and good variety. We had valet parking and despite hundreds leaving at 11am Sunday, their retrieval system was efficient and timely.

Only surprise was the random newspaper. We were not asked which we would prefer in the morning. There was one outside the door as we arrived, and another arrived the next morning but not what I would choose to read.

Our kids would love this place and we plan to return with them sometime.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

Only had two nights here on a business trip but will stay here every time in the future. Courteous staff, light and airy room which is very nicely furnished, and a great leisure area on Level 27 - gym, pool and steam room with great views over Melbourne. Free wi-fi a bonus.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business