“Money Grabbing!”

Crown Metropol Melbourne
Ranked #32 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We are Melbournians, lived in Docklands, and are avid Spa enthusiasts. So we book a night to enjoy the Spa facilities through lastminute.com. During check-in, we were asked by the staff if we like to have breakfast. We asked if it is included in the room price and was told it was. It was a bit of a nice surprise we thought, because it was not stated when we made the booking via lastminute.com but since Reception asked and confirmed breakfast was included, we thought why not.

Later that day, I rang reception again to ask about the breakfast time and once more reconfirm if breakfast was included in our room booking and was again told it was.

To our horror, when we checked out via Express Check Out Service, we received a bill in the mail few days later and was charged for the breakfast.

I called up and spoke to a guy in Accounts, which was really rude and extremely lacking in customer service, who sarcastically told me that surely with the price Im paying for the room, which is close to $300, I should have guessed that breakfast would not be included! I said it is not because we cannot afford the $90 we got charged for breakfast, but we really felt cheated by Crown since we were told twice by two different staff at Reception that breakfast was included. But I ended up paying anyway coz I got fed up with this Accounts guy and since it was small price for us and he seems as if he needed the $90 more than us, I just said "whatever". They can be sure we will NEVER return to this Hotel again and will pass this message on to every single person we know to be BEWARE if the Hotel asked if you like to have breakfast and told you its included, IT IS NOT!!! Also, the breakfast was really poor quality with minimal selection, it is not worth it!

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank bearsticky
Write a ReviewReviews (4,075)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Beautiful luxury hotel. We were in a King Room, lovely views, spacious room, great bathroom, quiet, central. Wish I'd bought my swimwear as the pool looked amazing. Bar on 28th floor fantastic, just needs to stay open a little longer than 10pm!! Valet parking a little pricy at $50. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We stayed Easter 2013-amazing! We came back Easter 2014-Terrible! Shower and toilet filthy! Mould all over shower walls a yellow colour. Dodgy 1 ply toilet paper you would expect in a public toilet! The second night we stayed someone in neighbouring room was smoking which came through vents in shower/toilet. As the bathroom is open to the bedroom my partner, myself and our two young children had to suffer the horrid smell that filled the room all night! At 2am i called concierge who put me on to the duty manager who said they would send up security. Nothing appeared to happen and the smell continued until we checked out and left the hotel. On checkout, we mentioned we were not satisfied and explained why. We got an insincere "sorry to hear that". Additionally for 75% of the stay our room card was not working, so every time we all left the room, mostly in the evening when we went to the pool, we had to head all the way back down to the lobby in swimmers and dressing gown, to ask soneone to take us all the way back up to our room. I feel id of been better off staying at a dodgy back packer hotel where i wouldn't of paid top dollar for an overpriced room, porridge, secondary smoke and 1 ply toilet paper and no access to my room. I will never ever stay at this hotel again, nor will i recommend it. To add to injury, the following morning at 5am, i got an email asking me to take a satisfaction survey in my name but i am apparently a Mr! when my credit card states i am a Mrs! Still waiting for my bond back....Save your money

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Swan0067
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Was there for business, awesome staff that made a busy day stress free.
Room was excellent, clean and just perfect!

To a visitor to Victoria your staff were great, polite and helpful.

I will be staying there again, thank you!

Room Tip: Stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

Well what a fantastic stay me and my partner had on the 2nd may. From the moment we pulled up in the car to the moment we drove away the staff were amazing, everyone had a smile and a personality and nothing was a problem I work in this industry so I can be quiet judgmental when it comes to service but I have nothing but applause for this hotel, keep up the amazing work metropole and we will definetly be back. Thankyou Aaron and lucy

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I recently had the pleasure of staying at Crown Metropol - my first visit. Everything about this hotel is outstanding! Friendly and efficient staff in all locations, impeccably clean, quiet, luxurious and well-designed rooms and if you have a city view room, an amazing view. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in at any hotel, the room was very quiet (no corridor noise despite being not too far from the lift lobby - perhaps sound-proofed?) and superb drapes keep every chink of light out of the room - best sleep ever in a hotel! Did I mention the plush bathrobes? Lovely! And it would appear the hotel is Non-Smoking, too. The residential floors are well serviced by lifts - you only have to wait a matter of seconds and one appears! Then there is the amazing Level 27 pool - this has to be the best hotel pool in Melbourne! And the upper level bar and deck provide wonderful views of Melbourne. The hotel links to the main Crown complex and facilities via a Level 1 walkway and is easily accessible to the Southbank riverside precinct. Tram right outside the door will take you in a few minutes into the CBD and to Southern Cross station. There is nothing I could fault with this fabulous hotel. Highly recommended - you won't be disappointed. Looking forward to my next stay. Well done, to the Crown team! The Metropol is truly outstanding!

Room Tip: For great views, request an upper level City View room.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The staff at the reception were very courteous & professional, The Bedrooms are fitted out very stylish & modern with Floor to ceiling windows. We found the bed to be extremely comfortable and large, and all the utilities were tasteful. I would recommend a drink at the Bar 28 which overlooks the Skyline of Melbourne, located on the... you guessed it the 28th Floor. Interestingly also overlooks the 27th floor which houses a large infinity style pool & spa, very luxurious, again with fantastic views of Melbourne. The Hotel is in a Great location to the Southbank and all the attractions, Crown Casino, Jeffs Shed etc..
No criticism but an observation a lot of people who got into the lift were having problems with there key cards working in the lift.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the yarra river/ casino side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple