“Huge Rooms”

Ranked #26 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Morwell, Australia
“Huge Rooms”
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

A very well presented large hotel whose rooms are very large. With a sixties feel, the room had sliding panels which opened the bathroom into the bedroom area - great for watching TV while dressing. The room has all facilities you would expect and had a great view over the Melbourne Exhibition Centre. Breakfast was comprehensive, but the restaurant very busy and staff struggled to keep up with tea service and dish clearing.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (843)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Great location, within walking distance to Tram stop, can walk to Melbourne CBD. Colonial Tramcar Diner stops just down the road. Lots of restaurants and shopping without even going outside. Lovely decor, nice clean and modern room. Housekeeping is excellent, reception staff and valets friendly and helpful. Like this hotel would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our visit recently was outstanding. The pool and facilities were world class and the service was commendable. The staff were all very friendly and the room was modern and clean. We were able to check in well ahead of time and staff were helpful and we'll accommodating.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gianna T
Benalla, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have stayed here numerous times for business, and have always been happy with the rooms I have stayed in. This trip, I had just spent 5 days in hospital after surgery, and wanted a night in luxury before heading home. I know the Metropol is not for those on a tight budget, but sometimes you need to spoil yourself.

The check in was seamless and pleasant as always, but there was no mention of my having stayed there before. I also mentioned the reason for my stay and the fact that I was looking forward to some peace and luxury, and no response. It would have been at least polite to acknowledge my comments.

I brought a media drive with me so that I could relax and watch a few of my favourite movies, but the in-room media centre wouldn't recognise it. Minor disappointment, but when all of the pay-per-view movies are vastly overpriced, it does make a difference.

When I went to take a shower to wash the hospital off me, I noticed that most of the amenities (shampoo, conditioner etc) that were normally in place were not there. I had brought my own, but that's not the point.

Last but not least, I ordered room service breakfast as a treat before leaving for home. The quality was good as always, but the temperature was not. Cold scrambled eggs might be a delicacy in some cultures, but this is not one of them.

Overall, my stay was a little disappointing. I am having surgery again within a few weeks, and will seriously have to consider where I want to stay - the Metropol is no longer my go-to place.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify whether you want a smoking or non-smoking room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Geoff F
HarleyMoraitis, General Manager at Crown Metropol Melbourne, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Thank you for taking time to review our hotel and we hope that your recovery is going well.

It seems like we missed the mark in a number of areas and can understand your disappointment with your recent stay.

I would welcome the opportunity to be able to address each of the points you have raised. When you have a moment please feel free to contact me directly on +61 3 9292 8888.

Harley Moraitis
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed over the weekend and had such a lovely stay. This is by far one of the best hotels we have stayed. The place was spotless and the staff at the check-in desk were very friendly. I stayed with my husband and two small children. It was perfect for us. The weather outside was cold and windy but because of its connection to the crown complex we didn't need to go outside if we didn't want to.
To make the stay more affordable we parked in the Crown complex and joined the Crown signature club which made our parking free for 24hours. We also walked to the food court for breaky each morning.
The pool is great, the only negative aspect was the amount of people that were staying made for a very murky hot tub. Understand this is out of the control of Crown. We also lots a baby blanket, it as difficult talking to the cleaning staff about dropping it somewhere between our room and the pool. Their English was poor, but they tried. Our blanket turned up nonetheless and they phoned straight away and held onto it.
Highly recommend this hotel for families and couples. its swishy but good also for families.

Room Tip: Rooms are large, our family of four had plenty of room in a room with two Queen beds.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed many times at this hotel and have found it to be one of the best in Melbourne.
Very friendly staff and modern
Up to date rooms. The convenience to all the amenities
And restaurants in the Casino is
A huge bonus-as is its closeness to the CBD

• Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 6 July 2014

For a purported high end hotel, the customer service at the crown metropol leaves a lot to be desired. From being held up at the check-in whilst they "check" your room, even after you have given them pre notice of arrival, to the lack of the attention to detail and having to remind staffs as to the lack of complimentary items, only detracted to what is a quality room. The views unfortunately, of what is the "upgraded" room ( at extra cost) leave a lot to be desired. Sweeping "city views" are dominated by lower level car parks and the city lights of South Melbourne are hardly that. After putting all that aside and enjoying the evening, the customer service element eroded the experience, for waiting 15 minutes for luggage retrieval after check out and a car windscreen full of bird excrement, after paying an extra $50 for valet service, only led to more souring of what should have been a "special" occasion.
Thank you crown metropol for making me feel like I lost out and paying a premium for it.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank RJS9669
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was very disappointed to hear of your experiences. I would value the opportunity to discuss your stay further so that we can restore your faith in our hotel. Please call me at your convenience on +61 3 9292 8888.

Kind Regards