“Seriously good hotel for a decent price.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Citadines on Bourke Melbourne

Citadines on Bourke Melbourne
Ranked #32 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne
“Seriously good hotel for a decent price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

I booked the Citadine the day before my intended 2 day stay commenced through Wotif (saving $20 per night). The hotel itself does have a deal that if you find a cheaper price else where they will beat it, but you have to lodge this at least 3 business days before your arrival, but no hassle. On arrival I parked in the carpark next door which I assumed was affiliated with the hotel, but unfortunately isn't (theirs is on little Collins and clearly signed, I just didn't drive through there). Check in went smoothly, and the trainee who checked me in was very proficient and welcoming. He told me the carpark I was in was insanely expensive ($30 an hour or some nonsense) so gave me a ticket which meant I only had to pay $20 for 24 hours, which was really nice. He also said I may as well leave it there for the 24 hours, or else I would just be paying more to park in their carpark for the night.

I headed up to the 12th floor to my room, and was pleasantly suprised. For the price I paid, it was a great room. The kitchen (with dishwasher, fridge, sink, oven and a lot of bench and cupboard space) was in the small hallway when I entered. Directly ahead was the 3 person couch, large coffee table, big desk with comfy rolley chair and kingsized bed with a huge flatscreen infront o. The wall. Behind me was the bathroom sink, cupboard and well lit mirror (external to the bathroom which was a little strange at first, but I got used to in quickly) and then a sliding door with the toilet and large shower behind it.

Perks: Overall, it was an excellent stay. I couldn't hear anything from my neighbors, there were no odd smells lingering around, and the bed & pillows were amazingly comfortable (a rarity in even some of the best hotels!). The staff were kind and helpful, and really went out of their way to make my stay great. Then there were the little things that made it even better: The iPod dock had some really decent speakers (not that I abused this privilege!), there were 6 wine glasses, 6 drinking glasses and a huge amount of crockery and cutlery as well as actually useful cooking utensils (can openers, spatula, bottle opener, scissors etc), warm spare blankets and more comfy pillows, a decent sized ironing board and heaps of cupboard/wardrobe space, yet even with all of this, the room was still very spacious. I didn't get a chance to try the 24 hour room service, but the menu looked amazing and relatively well priced. The pool area was indoors and large, and the pool itself was the perfect temperature and not too chlorinated.

Downers: the shower had a tendency to leak under the show door, but this was easily solved by popping the floor towel down. There was no outdoor space/balconies for smokers in the hotel, but going out the front really wasn't too bad. The only real issue I had was with the parking. When I moved my car into their underground carpark (which, by the way you use your room card to enter), I wasn't informed that I needed a 'permit' to use the designated space. Upon checkout (which in itself was very quick), I told them I had used their carpark, so they would need to put that on my bill. The staff member asked for the permit, and I said I had never been informed I needed one. He seemed a bit worried about this, but apologized to the inconvenience and advised the $30 per day parking fee wouldn't be charged to me, which was totally unexpected and very sweet of him.

Overall, I give the Citadine on Bourke at 10/10 on all counts. I will most defiantly be staying here again, and strongly advise you do to.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank ukunbanshee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

We booked this with fingers crossed! The name didnt sound like it would be anything special, and the images online were computer generated, so that alone had my alarm bells ringing, but we took a chance with a Pay 2, Stay 3 deal, and were very impressed!
This is not your typical apartment style accommodation, but thats a good thing!
The look and feel, and the customer service were refreshingly pleasant!
Im a pretty picky person, and a difficult customer if I feel Im not valued, but honestly, I cant complain about my experience.
I would definately stay here again and reccommend it to others.
Its clean, fresh, comfy, modern and friendly-no complaints here!

Room Tip: Next time ill ask for a room with natural light
4 Thank wordsws
Sunshine Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Had a 3 day stay with my daughter in a Studio Deluxe. Great location and everything was modern and very clean. Lived up to our expectations and my requests when I booked were fulfilled. Kitchen was more than adequate for two people with enough equipment to cook a meal. Love the seperate small lounge area to sit and read and the shower was large and very modern. Highly recommend and going to rebook for later in the year to take our spouses and book a two bedroom. No complaints at all.

Room Tip: Book the stay 3 pay for 2 deal.
  • Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Coolumpasty
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

Checking in was a breeze, staff very helpful & friendly, parking next door, rooms clean & modern. We stayed in a 1 bed apartment ... Location fantastic 3min walk to Burke St mall... Would highly recommend a stay in this hotel

1 Thank CeoJo
Monterrey, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

After staying in a rather wide range of hotels in Melbourne, from the luxury brand names to the small budget ones, this is probably the bes value I have found, however, it's not perfect.
The location is very good on Bourke Street. Close to everything.
Citadines in a very new property, opened in 2010, and it still looks new. The lobby is nicely appointed, and you can see 'new' everywhere: the elevators, the carpets, etc.
I stayed in the second to cheapest room configuration, with ample kitchennette space, adn OK closet, basic kitchen utensils. More than enough to eat a take out meal with decent plates and utensils, I am not sure if enough to cook, but in any case, there is nowhere to eat if you actually cook. You have the desk, and you hace a very small tabke by the sofa.
The bathroom is good, the shower is about 30 or 40% larger than the shower at the Grand Hyatt, so I can't complain.
The Gym is very basic, jus 2 teadmills, 2 elipticals, a simple set of dumbells and a simple universal machine. They also have an indoor pool.
A bummer experience is that they do NOT clean or make the room on Sundays. I don't know if this is standard Melbourne practice, but I did not like this. Also, they make the bed, but do not change the sheets or even check the bed before making it (I left a book under the covers and it was still there when the bed was made...).
In general this is a very good option in Melbourne CBD.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Fernando1969
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2011

We chose this place based on location and age of building (finished in July 2010). We were not disappointed. It exceeded all expectations from the moment we walked into the foyer. Very Clean and modern foyer and reception area. Modern computers and lounges with a vending machine as well. It was a lovely place to sit and chat. The staff were friendly, well informed and helpful. The tram is at the door and takes you down to the Bourke St Mall, which is walking distance if you wished to walk.

The room did not disappoint in any way. We booked a Studio Deluxe room and upon arrival found we had been upgraded to a higher floor (floor 16) at no extra charge. We had requested a quiet room and were fabulously surprised that no 'street noise' could be heard from our room, plus we had a lovely view of the city. The beds and pillows were one of the best I have ever slept on.
The room was kept beautifully clean. Housekeeping do not do the room on Sundays, but it's no problem for reception to quickly bring fresh towels or more coffee/milk. The kitchen is not huge but it has all you could need to cook - hotplates, microwave oven, fridge, and even a dishwasher, plus all the utensils and saucepans needed. We didn't cook and realised there is no dining room table and chairs to eat at, but there is a large desk and lounge with coffee table, so its not really a problem.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor for the best view.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank blueangelBrisbane
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

I reviewed all my options before choosing this apartment hotel. Its near new, in central Melbourne and fair value for money. Locations like docklands and southbank are too far away if you are after a CBD experience. Its a narrow thin building of 25 floors and many of the rooms have limited views, although the highest floors may look over the adjacent buildings.

I stayed in a studio, about the size of a good hotel room with a kitchen with microwave, fridge, hotplates and small dishwasher. Its all near new and whilst this is a 4.5 star property there is no assistance with luggage but staff are generally good.

PROS
Location
VERY fast elevators
Near New
Quiet
Good Air-conditioning/Heating
Pool
LCD TV/Stereo

CONS
King bed is 2 single beds pushed together and zipped in centre
Limited Parking
Rates - Use the search engine to search for rates. The hotel's site was up to $30 more expensive than other sites
Internet Charges
Shower Only - NO bath

Room Tip: Can find no difference in different types of studs
6 Thank BrisbaneNewDad