“Terrible for business travelers”

Ranked #32 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Place is pretty clean and the pool and gym facilities are good. Some staff are somewhat unfriendly and make you feel like you are an inconvenience by even approaching them.
The worst thing about this hotel, particularly for business and long stay guests, is the internet connection. If you need to be online to work from your room forget about it! The internet connection is as slow as old school dial-up and sometimes worse. It's a joke for a hotel which is in the middle of the CBD of one of Australia's technology hubs - there has got to be availability to high speed internet lines in such a location.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank a_kel_112222222
Bryan L, Front Office Manager at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2013

Dear a_kel_112222222,

Warm greetings from Citadines on Bourke Melbourne Apart'Hotel, and thank you for your feedback.

I regret that you were inconvenienced by the Internet service. Since the introduction of complimentary Internet usage to enhance the value to all our guests this year, the usage has increased significantly. At the same time, we have worked with our Internet service provider to substantially improve the connectivity, and I am pleased to share that the system has recently been tested with very positive results.

In spite of your experience, I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to welcome your return,

Yours sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Citadines on Bourke Melbourne

Reviewed 26 February 2013

This hotel is fantastic. The rooms are so clean, the beds are heavenly and if you are high up, then you can have a good view of the city. The facilities are excellent and the location is so ideal, so close to everything and right close to the shops and good restaurants.

The only complaint I had was the staff member who checked us in was very rude and arrogant. They put a hold on your credit card and charge you when you leave. When authorising the hold on your credit card you have to sign and fill in the necessary paperwork, however, unlike other hotels that work the same way, they do not give you a receipt or a copy of the paperwork you sign. When we asked the receptionist for a copy of the signed receipt for proof that the money was being held on our credit card (we didn't understand why we didn't receive one automatically), she got angry with us and just keep telling us off saying that we didn’t need a receipt because there was no charge and basically told us to stop questioning her honesty. All we asked for is a copy of our receipt!!! Whenever anyone does anything to your credit card it is the customer’s right to request one and not be denied a copy of anything that they have signed.

We came back to the reception desk later and asked another staff member. He agreed that they don’t usually provide a receipt but he was more than happy to print a copy out for us. What a difference!! The rest of the staff were so nice.

So if you stay here and you get a rude staff member, then demand to speak to someone else as they are not all like that.

Apart from that, I would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Ruthie H, Marketing Executive at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Hello CitySlicker_13,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne! It is great to hear you enjoyed our central location and took advantage of all the facilities we have to offer.

We take pride in customer service and apologise you experienced an issue with our pre-authorisation processes. It is great to hear however the issue was resolved that same day.

Thank you once again for your review CitySlicker_13 and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 24 February 2013

Nice central location being close to CBD, eateries and entertainment. I have stayed here twice - so far. Studio room was spacious and clean, and room layout was refreshingly different. Room was comfortable and quiet. I checked out the 2 bedroom layout and this would be a perfect stay for my small family. Staff have been knowledgeable, courteous and obliging. Just catch the SkyBus from Melbourne Airport to Southern Cross stations, and very short tram ride up Bourke Street - easy as!

Room Tip: Web site has good diagrams of the room layouts.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danny829
Ruthie H, Marketing Executive at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Hello Danny829,

Thank you for your review and we are delighted you chose to stay with Citadines on Bourke Melbourne again.

It is great to hear that our central location and room design are suited perfectly to your needs, and we look forward to welcoming you and your family in the near future.

We take pride in customer service and I will certainly pass on your kind words to the front office team.

Thank you again Danny829 and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 21 February 2013

We booked through webjet and ended up getting a great deal on the overall price for our five night stay. Overall we were satisfied with the citadines. The location is very central and our room was neat and tidy. The fitness room on level 1 was a great additionand I made use of this. My only complaints are that they are d bit low on customer sevice although their staff are generally friendly when you approach them at the reception. Also the view from our room wasn't that great, over the tops of other buildings (we were on the 18th floor) but we didn't mind so much as we spent a lot of time outside the room. Also there is no room service on Sundays which I found strange in such a busy hotel. If you are looking for a clean and cozy place to stay in the heart of Melbourne then this is a great option, especially since there are cooking facilities if you so desire to use them.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank claudcrause
Bryan L, Front Office Manager at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2013

Dear claudcrause,

Warm greetings from Citadines on Bourke Melbourne Apart'Hotel, and what a delight to hear of your very enjoyable stay with us.

We will share your valuable insights with our team, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Wishing you safe and exciting travels always!

Reviewed 21 February 2013

I have stayed at the Citadines on Bourke 4 times and it has always been great. The location is excellent and is directly in front a tram stop as well as being a short walk from the CBD. If you're after a room with a view, this probably isn't the place for you but the location makes up for this! The hotel is also close to some great restaurants, Red Pepper Indian on Bourke is a favourite and is such good value I have gone back every time I've been in Melbourne!!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevator are quieter!!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Ruthie H, Marketing Executive at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2013

Hello Wilson SA,

Welcome back! And thank you so much for taking the time to write a positive review about your most recent stay with us at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne! Our location is ideal to experience all that Melbourne has to offer. Next time you are staying with us, download our free app for lots of great tips on where to go and what to see in Melbourne -http://bit.ly/11PMu5Q.

Our executive rooms are located on higher floors and offer views over the city; so perhaps you might like to choose this option the next time you stay with us at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne.

Wilson SA, thank you again for your review and we are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

We previously had a pleasant experience at Citadines on Bourke and chose to stay there again for a recent Melbourne stay in mid-February 2013. The location is great, the room we eventually ended up in was nice and suited our needs, but overall we were let down by the customer service provided by the front desk staff.

We arrived a bit early (out of neccessity as my wife was meeting her sister in the city) on the day of check-in and obviously I asked whether an early check-in was possible. It wasn't possible, which I understood of course. I was told, however (maybe on at least two occasions) - that our room was gauranteed from 2pm. Fair enough.

Also, when I asked if I could bring our luggage up from our car to store near reception in a secure area, I was told I could not. So I had to leave our bags in the underground carpark in quite hot conditions.

I went out and found some lunch, arriving back at the hotel by around 1:00pm. Again I was told the room wasn't ready yet and that the rooms are only gauranteed from 2pm. Fair enough.

I found a nearby Starbucks and had a coffee to kill some time. The coffee, strangely, may have been the highlight of my day. I arrived back at the hotel at 2:00pm to check-in - as per what I had been told by two staff members earlier on.

However, I was told this time that guest services were still cleaning the room (this was at 2pm) and that the previous occupiers of the room caused a big mess. Rather shockingly, I was told there would be a 60-90 minute delay to check-in.

After some prompting from me, the front desk employee I was speaking to found us another room, on a higher floor. This was pleasing. But when they enquired whether this "new" room was ready, I was told it was still being made up and to take a seat and I would be advised when it was ready.

I sat in the reception area for a minimum of 40 minutes (!), without any staff members keeping me up to date with what was going on. I basically felt like I was forgotten. I would have expected someone to come out and let me know what was happening at least once, but it was basically as if because I wasn't up at reception asking about the room, they could move on and check-in their other guests.

At about 2:45pm, I decided to go back to reception to enquire what was happening with the room (the very room we had pre-paid for several weeks earlier, from 2pm, but were not yet allowed to enter as yet).

The person I spoke to on this occasion (a male) was more sympathetic to my situation than the previous person I had spoken to (a female - I didn't think to get names) and made another call to guest service to find out if the room was ready. This time, I was told it would be another 10-15 minutes.

Finally, by around 3:00pm or a bit after, I was advised that the room was ready to check-in (not before time). I discussed bedding arrangements with the female front desk employee - only to find that we had not been provided these bedding arrangements when I eventually got to the room. I wasn't surprised, sadly.

Upon finally being checked-in after 3pm, I actually had to ask the front desk employee whether they would be offering us anything to make up for the delays in check-in and overall poor service. The person hesitated, before finally (and seemingly reluctantly) offering a late check-out the following day (1-hour extra). I accepted the late check-out, but I did not find this sufficient to account for the delays and overall poor service provided. Not even a free newspaper the next morning. Free overnight parking would have been a nice offer, but it wasn't to be (we had to pay the standard $30 fee). Ideally, a complimentary one-night stay at a later date would be one way to make up for it!

To cap it all off, when I finally got to the room - guest service were still inside cleaning (even though I was told the room was ready some 10 minutes earlier!). I didn't quite understand that, but this was another front desk bungle and not the fault of the room cleaner who was pleasant.

I take it that this kind of experience is somewhat of a rarity for the Citadines on Bourke, as again, we had a nice stay on a previous occasion. I'm sure all front desk staff try their best, but on this visit, it goes without saying that the customer service was "poor" to say the least.

As a final tip, I would suggest not advising guests that their room is guaranteed at 2pm, if this is clearly not going to be the case.

Room Tip: After all the messing about, we were on the top floor - street noise was no an issue.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Luke R

Dear LukeR,

Greetings from Citadines on Bourke Melbourne Apart'Hotel! Thank you for sharing your recent experience, and please accept my apology for the disappointing customer care which you received. This is certainly far from the standard for which we aim.

Whilst we endeavour to accommodate guests who arrive early, this is regrettably not feasible during occasions of high occupancy. As you have kindly highlighted, the delay to your check-in was compounded by the added attention required for the room allocated to you. We have addressed your feedback with our team to enhance communication with our valued guests, and thank you for your patient understanding.

I invite you to contact me directly at bryan.loh@the-ascott.com, so that I may afford your future booking arrangements my personal attention.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable insights.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

I stay at Citadines regularly for work and I just don't know why you would want to stay anywhere else in Melbourne.

The location is just perfect, hundreds of choices for bars, restaurants, cafes, close to theaters, china town, Bourke street mall, Tram stop right in front and 5 minute walk to Parliament train station.

The staff have always been so polite and incredibly helpful, on one occaision I arrived at 8am the day of check-in to ask if they could store my luggage for the day however I was allowed to check into my room immediately! On another occasion I commented that the pool seemed a little dirty (it is usually impeccable), and the next day it was perfect!

The rooms are great. Very dark and quiet at night time, beds are very clean and comfy! Quite spacious also. Will definitely continue to stay here in the future.

Room Tip: In my experience they are all much the same.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank a2timesd
Bryan L, Front Office Manager at Citadines on Bourke Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear a2timesd,

Thank you for your very kind words, and for your continued support of Citadines on Bourke Melbourne! My team and I are delighted that you feel so at home with us, and please do not hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of any assistance.

We look forward to welcoming your return very soon.