“Good, budget accommodation on the edge of the city”

City Edge North Melbourne Apartment Hotel
Endeavour Hills
“Good, budget accommodation on the edge of the city”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

City Edge have a chain of hotels around the city. I stayed in their North Melbourne site as it was walking distance from the University of Melbourne. After finding the entrance (a bit further down Peel St than my map would have suggested), I was checked in quickly and found my room. The reception is advertised as being open only from 9am to 6pm however upon my return from classes (around 9pm) there was still someone there which was nice.

The room was quite small, and the bathroom almost too small. There was a small kitchenette including a stove, fridge and microwave. A tiny balcony (no more than one person could use it) also overlooked the city.

The television reception dropped in and out, not a major hassle but annoying when I was trying to wind down after a day at work and uni. I probably wouldn't stay here again, because there was very little in the immediate area in terms of food (I had to travel back into the CBD and catch a tram back out to Nth Melb), also when I checked out (approx 8:30am) the reception wasn't open forcing me to carry my overnight bag to and around uni all day. This was advertised, however I was hoping that if they had someone on hand at 9pm the night prior, they might have someone on hand a bit earlier in the morning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
CityEdgeManager, Guest Relations Manager at City Edge North Melbourne Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
We thank you for taking the time to review City Edge North Melbourne. Following this review, we have investigated the issue that you raised in regards to the television. All apartments were checked and we found no issues with the quality of the signal that the television received by every apartment.

For all travelers the reception timings are
Sunday and All Public holidays - 0900 Hrs - 1800 Hrs

For all future travelers, City Edge North Melbourne is located within walking distance to Queen Victoria Market. The market is full of excellent multi-cuisine restaurants.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Gold Coast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed here due to work commitments nearby. I know the price was cheap, but this doesn't forgive the dirtiness of this hotel. The hotel is basically student accommodation, with a small kitchenette, which includes a small 2 burner hot plate. Our room was badly in need of a paint with dirty scuff marks on the walls and the floors needed a good clean. The small outside balcony area in our room had cigarette butts on the floor, which certainly didn't make it inviting. The carpet in the hallways of the hotel are in need of a clean as well. One plus is a tram stop right outside the hotel and you can be in Melbourne CBD in no time. I wouldn't recommend staying here!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
20 Thank Terese14
CityEdgeManager, Guest Relations Manager at City Edge North Melbourne Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
We thank you for taking the time to review City Edge North Melbourne. We at City Edge place great emphasis on providing quality experience to informed travelers at the right price. Following this review, we have investigated the carpet and found that there was a stain which had to be professionally treated and we assure all travelers that we have steam cleaned all carpets in all common areas.

Our hotel places a large emphasis on housekeeping and cleaning standards and whilst your experience is unacceptable, it is not a reflection of the normal standards at City Edge Apartment Hotels. We have been informed by the building manager that a lot of people do not use the ash tray provided but throw their cigarette butts down causing them to accumulate in the balconies below. We would like to assure all guests that the building manager is investigating the issue and this shall be resolved at the earliest convenience.

I was advised by our chief engineer that we have a schedule in place for all our apartments to be re-painted on a regular basis so that all the scuff marks, dents and damages can be repaired. This is an on going process and I would like to assure all guests that all apartments are of highest standards set by City Edge Apartment Hotels.

Guest Relations Manager

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

The actual accommodation I found to be not bad, but the overly strict and inflexible rules made it feel like an institution, where the rules are much more important than customer service - which means I'll never stay at any City Edge apartment ever again.

I required assistance at 7pm (since I locked my key in the room), 1 hour after reception closed at 6pm. Assistance after 6pm attracts a $50 fee. This policy is there because staff may need to get up at all hours of the night, plus there is time required for staff to drive in and drive back again. But when I called, a staff member happened to be right there in the next room, and she took about 5 seconds to walk into the reception area and give me a spare key. So essentially I had to pay $50 for her to walk a few steps and hand me a key. That felt like I was ripped off.

I understand this is a rule, but the way I see it, if they provided good customer service, they would say "look it happened only a short time after reception closed and I happened to be here, so we'll waive the fee just this time". or "We'll wont charge the full amount and provide a discount on that $50, just this time". An inflexible organisation that doesn't look at situations from customers point of view will say "any time after 6pm will attract a $50 charge, no exceptions".

Additionally I found it unprofessional that immediately after the callout, I had to hand over my credit card, even though I had provided it to them in person 2 times previously when I handed them my credit card when I checked in, and then again when I extended my stay. I also thought it was unprofessional that the staff member scribbled my credit card number on a piece of paper in her hand as she stood next to me in the foyer.

I have based my overall rating on this experience because for me, customer service and making the customer feel good about their experience is the most important part of the service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
20 Thank travelelvis
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

never again!
lost my key on Sunday just 10 minutes after 9pm,
reception was close , I call the customer service on 13number , and they asked me for $50 to open the door for me,
I left and stay at friend overnight ,
thanks God I found the key and I get in to get my bags and check out!
traveling all the time never heard there charge of $50 to open the door for you
not happy
also is $30 fee to check in an hour early

Room Tip: don't get early for check in there is charge of $30 and don't leave the key in the room ther...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
20 Thank P-Fardos
CityEdgeManager, Guest Relations Manager at City Edge North Melbourne Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
We understand the guest’s point of view; however do believe that the issue was caused due to misunderstanding the reception timings. We do not charge any extra fees for a late arrival.

For all travelers the reception timings are
Sunday and All Public holidays - 0900 Hrs - 1800 Hrs

The lock-out fees are charged to guest who loose the key and would like to enter the building and require after-hours assistance to do so. All our entrance doors to all our buildings lock at 2100 Hrs or 1800 Hrs (whichever may apply) to ensure guest security and the security of the building. The resident manager is happy to assist in any emergencies that may arise after hours.

We would like to assure all travelers that City Edge does not charge late arrival fees. You may be charged $50.00 should you loose your keys and require assistance to enter the building outside reception hours.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

my daughter was in melbourne from perth on holiday when she slipped on the footpath tile in the city and broke her ankle and shattered her heel ,she was taken to royal melbourne hospital from where she rang me to tell me what happened ,after booking flights we were told that city edge north melbourne was only eight minutes from the hospital ,when we arrived ,which was before the reception was open ,we were greeted by a lovely lady on cleaning duties after explaining what had happened ,she allowed us to wait in the lounge with our luggage until reception was open.once reception was open the person on the desk was really helpful and allowed us to leave our luggage with her while we visited our daughter in hospital ,at this time my wife and i had only booked a double room and for a few nights ,after visiting the hospital and talking to the surgeon i realised that our room was not going to big enough as they could not operate straight away we would have to take our daughter back to our hotel and look after her until the swelling in her leg had gone down and could be operated on ,arriving back at city edge north melbourne i discussed this with the duty manager who was extremely helpful and upgraded our room to accomodate all three of us and allowed us an open ended stay until the operation, nothing was to much trouble and was very helpful with directions for getting around the area as being from perth i had no idea where in melbourne i was ,i would certainly stay there again and would reccomend them to anyone it made a difficult time more enjoyable

Room Tip: corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
CityEdgeManager, Guest Relations Manager at City Edge North Melbourne Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
We thank you for taking the time to review City Edge North Melbourne. We at City Edge place great emphasis on providing quality experience to informed travelers at the right price. We hope that your daughters is feeling betters after the surgery. I am glad that all of our staff members made your stay as comfortable and accommodating in difficult times as they could and went the extra mile. We look forward to welcome you back to City Edge Apartment Hotels.

We would like to inform all travelers who are travelling for hospital/medical purposes to Melbourne to call us on 1300-248-933 to inquire about special hospital discounted rates. We are located in Melbourne CBD, North Melbourne and East Melbourne. All these locations are very close (10-20 Mins walk) to most of the well known hospitals in Melbourne.

Galle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

Clean small rooms with all the facilities for two. Good quality AC. LCD tv. Can prepare meals stove utensils provided.There is a beautiful view of the street as well. Queen Victoria market is just 5 min walking distance. City tour buses travel in the Peel st., get into one of these and uoy can see the whole city for $5 and there is a City view free tram service. Very helpful reception (available only during daytime). Wifi not free. Melbourne CBD just 15 min walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room from Peel St side you can see Yarra trams moving all day long and a beautiful view of...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
CityEdgeManager, Guest Relations Manager at City Edge North Melbourne Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review City Edge North Melbourne. It sounds like you got to experience every part of the apartment and we are pleased you enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you to City Edge Apartment Hotels.
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

I have just stayed in one of these rooms and the whole experience was sub standard. I called the day before to check when reception closed and was told 9pm - despite the website saying 6pm. When we got there at 7pm all was closed and we had to call to be let in...with 4 options on the phone line and a wait for 10 mins or more. Frustrating when you have just driven round and round looking for parking and found there is none in the vicinity.
Room was tiny - beds were like collapsed trampolines - there were no blinds on one window that looked straight out onto the street - rubbish under the beds - carpet ripped - paint dirty and chipped - and the back of the bathroom door was dirty.
On check out still no one at reception and no obvious place to leave the key.
In short Melbourne is a fantastic place to visit - why ruin the trip on low quality accommodation with non existent service

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
20 Thank Simon S
We understand the guest’s point of view; however do believe that the issue was caused due to misunderstanding the reception timings. For all travelers the reception timings are
Sunday and All Public holidays - 0900 Hrs - 1800 Hrs

We always advise all our guest to call us in advance if you think you are going to be outside these timings to understand the after-hours check-in procedure. We have a our own car parking (Off-site) which can be pre-booked at an additional fee of $20.00 per night.

The apartment in City Edge North Melbourne are small but well appointed (compact but well presented). There is no doubt that we did let you down with regards to the blinds in the apartments. We assure all travelers that we are working on this issue and we will resolve this at the earliest.

Our hotel places a large emphasis on housekeeping and cleaning standards and whilst your experience is unacceptable, it is not a reflection of the normal standards at City Edge Apartment Hotels. We have investigated the issue and found that the carpet has come off from the underlay. We have a professional carpet repair company was has been contracted and would like all guests to know that this has been addressed. Housekeeping staff members have been spoken to and are undergoing contact training. This is reflected in the feedback after this valued feedback.

The early departure box is placed in the foyer and is marked clearly in red so that guests departing outside reception hours can spot it with any inconvenience.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.