“Great venue, great night!”
Review of Spice Market

Spice Market
Ranked #21 of 192 Nightlife in Melbourne
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great venue, great night!”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

After reading the reviews on this site I was apprehensive but I have to say this place was amazing.

We had prebooked bachelorette package so were able to go into the VIP area. All the staff we dealt with were really friendly and helpful, they even gave us a round of free shots.

Drinks were expensive as they always are in these places. The venue was beautiful tho & we had a fantastic night there!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank katiechelle88

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“No redeeming features”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

I try and make the most out of places I go to. In this case I tried, but I have nothing positive to say about Spice Market.

The wait was lengthy and cold, and the security staff were rude. The drinks were overpriced. Inside the VIP areas, there was plenty of seating but it was all unused and mostly empty. The "public" area was crowded, and wherever we stood we were told by staff to move and that we couldn't stand where we were.

We visited on a Saturday night around 11pm, so maybe earlier or on a weeknight the venue is more pleasant. But, I won't be back to find out.

Visited May 2013
8 Thank Adam R
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed 22 March 2013

This place was awful. From the very moment I stepped inside staff where on our backs asking us to not stand there and move over there. The place was so squashed with people there was nowhere to stand, the only areas we could stand and hold our drinks we were asked to move from. The drinks were over priced, bar staff where very rude and mostly female so as a girl I was ignored for some reason everytime I tried to order a drink and was spoken to rudely. The whole place was lame and tryhard classy, if they want the club to appear classy they shouldn't hire bogans and let them speak to customers like rubbish. Unfortunately I had to make the most of it as I was there for a birthday, otherwise I would have left within the first 5 minutes, it really was that bad.

8 Thank EllieMF
Auckland Region, New Zealand
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A bit too try hard for us...”
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Grumpy door staff - expensive drinks - crowded like sardines in a can. Soooo for the young hipsters! Such a full on vibe!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Teresa C
Melbourne, Australia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Dress to impress, but the attitudes suck.”
Reviewed 15 November 2012

Who doesn't love a club that as a rule of dress to impress, but entry to the club is in an alley way?

Don't get me wrong. The inside of Spice Market is beautiful, but the dark alley way, waiting to get through? When I went, it was cold and wet. Nothing like standing in line in a dark alley way in heels with cold wind brushing by. The wait was incredibly and stupidly long. Standing there, waiting, a group of people would cut the line and automatically make their way straight through, which was very annoying. Talk about attitude when we got in. Fake smiles and unfriendly bouncers really put me off this venue. Same when the inside is pretty.

Once inside, we had wished we should of just stayed outside or found another bar to go to. My friends and I had to literally grab onto each other to squeeeeeeeze our way through the crowds to get to the bar. Once we got our drinks, it was like we had to drink it right at the bar because there was no way we were going to squeeze through the crowd drinks in hand.

Maybe we just picked the wrong day to go in and may need to pick a time where it's not as crowded, but the unfriendly and untrained staff really put me off.

Visited March 2012