“Overrated”

Cuisines: French, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 29 May 2014

- Coffee was disappointing. My flat white was far too milky & I could hardly taste the coffee.
- Baked eggs with chorizo was nice but nothing out of the ordinary. I was disappointed to find that the accompanying bread was cold.
- Service was good & friendly
- Lovely, vibrant atmosphere with a beautiful painted wall of colorful butterflies on the inside
- Reached early on a Saturday morning so didn't have to wait, thankfully. The crowd came in soon after though. I wouldn't recommend queuing for this place but it's worth a sample if seats are available.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,507)

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went here due to the overwhelming number of recommendations that I kept getting from friends for The Hardware Societe - didn't meet my high expectations.

Food was good but not the level of amazing-ness I was lead to expect from the experience of dining here.

1  Thank Ceciburgers
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I went to this restaurant for brunch with three friends, as it had been recommended on tripadvisor. We were told the wait would be around 35-40 minutes, but it was in fact only 15 minutes. The decor inside is lovely and the atmosphere is great. Food arrived promptly but drinks did arrive a little after the food. Every one of us said the food was exquisite, and we paid around $22 each, which was great value for the quality of the food. Would love to go here again for a different meal!

Reviewed 24 May 2014

MOST AWESOME BRUNCH EVER.

Had a croque madame and cafe mocha at Hardware Societe and have been craving for it ever since (says how delicous the food is). Price was alright, not too expensive by Melbourne standards.

Do expect a wait though as the queues were really long when I got there at 1030am (trust me its worth it). Thankfully I was alone so was seated pretty quickly.

I will definitely go back again when I visit Melbourne!

Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

Got there at the right time and didn't have to wait for a table. Amazing Spanish breakfast - kept us filled for the day. Best hot chocolate I have ever had. Cozy place with long tables and small tables outside - worth looking for down the alleyway