“Good facilities, noisy location.”

Home at The Mansion
“Good facilities, noisy location.”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I came here after staying at another hostel in Melbourne, and I preferred the previous place. This hostel has good facilities however. Nice places to sit around and relax with a good book or watch dvds on a nice TV. The dorm rooms were fine, no issues there. Kitchen good size and nice space to eat your food. Don't leave alcohol in the fridges though, ours went walkabout after just 3 hours of being in there!!

I didn't like where it was situated. It claims to be in Fitzroy, but it's a good 20 minute walk down to the heart of everything on Brunswick Street, so for me it was not a walk I liked doing on my own at night. The hostel is situated on Victoria Parade, a very busy main road, so there is a lot of traffic noise all hours of the day. Plus, there is a common area outside which is fab for socialising, but any times when you do need an early night to get up for an early flight etc, you will have a very disturbed sleep. You can hear EVERYTHING that goes on outside downstairs.

The staff are pleasant and very friendly and helpful. In terms of hostels, it is certainly better than some, but it was not my favourite.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank travelgal187

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 3 May 2013

The location is excellent, near melbourne CBD, the staff is super helpful.

But there was too much noise from other hostel resident & outside traffic. i stayed there for one 8 nights, i could never have a complete nice sleep. most other residents slept late and still making terrible noise from the common area at 2am

All hostel window is facing Victoria Parade, a main road for traffic coming to downtown from east. lots of car flew by at midnight.
no free wifi. kitchen and common area is small

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leo K
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 22 April 2013

The first reason I picked this Hostel to stay during my trip is all about Location. The hostel is in the mid of city, you can either walk to Queen Victoria Market , Carlton Gardens or Fitzroy Gardens. The room rate is quite reasonable compare to the room and facilities, plus the service is really great. Staffs are very friendly and helpful , they're willing to give you any insight detail about your trip. If I have chance to come back to Melbourne, I'd decide to stay in this hostel again

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Nunspeet, The Netherlands
Reviewed 16 April 2013

The building itself is beautiful! Just inside it could use a bit of updating/renovation. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The showers and toilets are perfectly clean, as is the kitchen. The location is very good, it's a nice neigbourhood and you can walk to the center (about 20 minutes). There were not many common rooms, and the ones that are there are very small. That's why this place in my opinion lacks a bit of social interaction. Worst thing was the dorm! I stayed in a 7 bed dorm that was definately not big enough for 7 beds! It had the size of a 4 bed dorm! It was one big mess, probably because it was just too small to store 7 backpacks and daypacks in a normal way. The lockers were very small.. The first night I didn't have a pillow (probably someone else had taken it, but they were all asleep when I came in late in the evening). The dorm was quie hot and dampy as well. The window could be opened I guess, but then you had to step on one of the beds (so actually the person that sleeps on that bed should open the window, which he/she didn't do)..

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I went to Melbourne last March with my 2 friends and we booked 3 beds for 3 nights in this place. Whenever I write my reviews, I usually say the pros & cons so here it goes:

Pros:
1. The staff are so incredibly helpful. I sent them a lot of emails and they never got tired of answering every single question I had. I even sent them last minute request to leave our luggage overnight because we were going for a 2-day tour. They were so kind to accommodate the request with no extra charges.

2. The place is very close to the tram stations. There's literally a station just across the road. If you wanna take cab, you can just hail one right outside of the place.

3. The place itself is clean. What I like the most is their bathroom. It looks "cozy" for a backpacker place. :)

Cons:
1. The room that we booked was a 5-bed dorm. The room configuration had 2 bunk beds and 1 single bed. Surprisingly, there was only 1 stand fan in the room! It was summer in Melbourne when we came so you can imagine how hot it is, even at night. I can barely sleep because of this.

2. Since the place is along the road, you can hear the cars from the road outside. There was one night where I was awaken due the noise of a fire truck.

3. Our room was located in the 3rd floor, so we need to "drag" our heavy luggage up & down the stairs... though the staff were so nice to offer assistance.

4. The lockers on the room where we stayed were a bit shabby. It may need to be replaced.

5. I find the place clean, but there were mosquitoes at night.

6. They're a bit disorganized when it comes to the room 'coz they don't give you any number to say that "this is your bed", though the beds have numbers on it. My two friends had to literally transfer each night 'coz whenever there's a new guest, they just take any bed that they want although it's so obvious that someone's already occupying it.

I understand that Melbourne is not usually hot so I can't blame them for having just 1 fan. Maybe they can add some more fans during summer. :)

Anyhow, we enjoyed our stay in Melbourne and thanks to the staff here for being so friendly and helpful. You guys are the reason why this backpacker place stays #1 in TripAdvisor! You guys rock!

Room Tip: Choose a room opposite of the roadside for lesser noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank cariephoenix
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Really impressed. Stayed there for 5 nights in March. The staff are really great, very friendly and are always ready to help to matter what the problem. Matias at the front desk even helped me break the lock off my suitcase after I locked myself out of it, thanks mate! Staff are very knowledgeable about the area and will help you plan your trips with ease.

I stayed in a 4 bed dorm which was very spacious, with a lovely high ceiling and vintage windows. The room was very clean, linen excellent and beds good quality. The floor is very creaky though, so be careful when getting back from a night out at 2am and try not to wake your roomies! When I saw there was no A/C I wasn't too happy, but the large windows and spacious room made sure it wasn't too warm in there. Fans were provided also, just in case.

Security isn't the tightest, but in a good way. The hostel is small enough to be very cosy and staff seem to know who's there. I prefer swipe card access, but only because a key is easier to lose. Easy access to the front door after 11pm using your room key.

Bathrooms were very clean and near all rooms. Plenty of laundry facilities available.

Location is good, very close to the tram and easy walking distance to the CBD. The VHA shuttle bus to-and-from the airport is very cheap at $15 and is well worth it.

Definitely staying here again next time I'm in Melbourne. Paid $34/night, very reasonable for the space and facilities available. And they even let you bring your own alcohol!

Room Tip: Very quiet on the first floor, no problem sleeping at all.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Calgary
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Ill be honest, when I first walked into my room I considered going back to reception,cancelling my reservation and trying some place else. I am SO glad I didn't,, this hostel is clean (I actually saw someone cleaning the baseboards on their HANDS and KNEES). Staff is super friendly and it's in an AWESOME location. One of my best hostel experiences.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends