“Worth a look”

Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Description: Though it may sound like the Melbourne consulate for Italy’s much-loved bitter red aperitif, Campari House is actually the latest incarnation of an old-school Italian bistro that opened its Hardware Lane doors in 1968. The once-famous Campari Bistro has been brilliantly rejuvenated into a fantastic five level hospitality experience reflecting Melbourne’s diverse restaurant and bar culture. Consisting of a ground floor restaurant, level 1 guest room, level 2 Lounge, a fully covered Rooftop Bar and secondary Rooftop The Soda Bar. Seamlessly merging refined and rustic, vintage and contemporary, Campari House has the feel of an instant classic. Stylish without being sleek, the venue is warm and inviting, comfortable yet lively. The ground floor 45 seater Restaurant offers a fresh and innovative modern Italian menu open for lunch and dinner. The Level 1 versatile, light filled function space is perfect for your next corporate or private event. The Campari House signature stained glass private booths located in the Lounge are also available for hire and ideal for intimate meetings or exclusive group bookings in the evenings. Finally wander up to either of the greatly anticipated rooftop bars for some of Melbourne’s best pizza. The seasonal menu showcases modern Italian inspired cuisine that utilises both locally sourced & sustainable ingredients we hope to reflect sensibility with contemporary flair while staying true to their traditional roots. Whether you are looking for quick morning coffee, unforgettable dining experience or a quiet drink on the roof top under Melbourne’s striking star lit sky, Campari House is sure to impress.
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I hapened to be in Melbourne for work and was looking for a place have dinner on Sunday evening rather than just have room service in my hotel. I walked along Little Bourke Street and came upon Hardward Lane where there are a number of cafes. Not unusual for Melbourne of course. There seems to be more eating places in Melbourne than the rest of Australia in total. Anyway, I found Campari House. I took a table outside. There were a number of other people having a late afternoon meal and it seemed to be a popular spot. I ordered a glass of Pinot Noir and a Gnocchi & Smoked Trout dish. The meal was very tasty. The Gnocchi was beautifully made and the accompanying sauce was delicious. I finished with a coffee. The total for food and drinks was just over $25. The service was attentive and all in all I would definitely recommend a visit.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We happened along the restaurant by chance on a rainy but not cold evening. We decided to sit outside under the awning with the heaters on and it was lovely. Our drink orders were taken promptly by a very friendly young lady who was extremely knowledgeable about the entire menu. We started with an antipasto plate that was very nice and fresh with good flavours but not overly exciting. There were a number of great meals on the dinner menu so we (3) decided to go for one each. All of our meals were amazing! My son had the crusted pork cutlet, almond, pistachio, pickled fennel with apple aioli. The pork was extremely tender and tasty and the range of tastes on the plate worked wonderfully. My sons girlfriend had the barramundi, beetroot, blood orange, carrot & tarragon puree, again cooked to perfection and an amazing combination of tastes. I chose the slow roasted lamb, semolina gnocchi and ratatouille and think mine was the winner although it was difficult to choose between them all. The semolina gnocchi and ratatouille combination was divine. We did order a side of cocktail potatoes with garlic butter but couldn't eat many as the meals were a really good size. The wine I chose wasn't the best to go with my meal and we didn't have desert but the coffee was great to finish off a wonderful evening. Cant wait to go back!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Campari finds itself operating in Melbourne's increasingly crowded Hardware Lane, a great eating strip just off the hustle and bustle of Bourke Street.

Food is quite OK, as are the service and the prices. That said, nothing particularly stands out as offering Campari House as more than a middle of the road experience. You won't be disappointed nor will you be blown away.

Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

A nice place for a relaxed breakfast along Hardware Lane. The service was pleasant and helpful as well as quite quick. There aren't many things on the menu but along with the sides there is enough.

Reviewed 16 October 2013 via mobile

I ordered a lunch set, chicken pizza and a drink. I spent almost $20 on inedible pizza. The knife was useless in tackling the pizza base. I ate two slices out of the eight. It was too chewy and didn't taste very yummy. I will not go back. If i do, it will be for drinks on the rooftop. That's about it