“Tacky”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Docklands
Reviewed 26 June 2012

One would expect that businesses intend to showcase the best of their service and food by the targeted marketing concept of the coupon deals as we have witnessed at other wonderful restaurants, which I would have no hesitation of visiting again, or recommending to friends and family, But “Docked” is definitely NOT one of them!

Firstly it was a chore to actually find the entrance of Docked (we had to call and ask – turns out there are stairs at the back of the building with a tiny little A-frame sign which is also behind the building hence not visible from the street) then we had to endure the humiliating toned greeting of “did you find the stairs?” in front of all the staff, which basically set the mood for the rest of the nights experience. Mind you it was a Sunday afternoon dinner time and there were no other customers yet – only 1 couple and 1 party of about 8 people turned up after us.

Even though we had a prepaid coupon deal my wife and I hesitated to enter the place. It was decorated with such distaste that it made a junk yard more appealing. The same condescending attitude of the owner is reflected in his idea of stringing up a range of hard garbage items to the ceiling to conceal the exposed heating/cooling ducts – however the flashing colourful lights reflected off the shiny silver duct material only drawing more attention to it.

I had to convince my wife, we are here, we are hungry, its prepaid and most importantly not to judge a book by its cover – maybe all the taste is actually in the food and not the décor? – I was completely wrong. Once seated the waitress basically told us that the terms of offer was not as it was on the coupon i.e. 4 x entre, 2 x mains, 2 desserts, 2 x coffees and 1 jug of sangria, but as how she saw fit. We didn’t argue as we did not want any “foreign” items in our food in retaliation but could only hope the food was worth it – I was completely wrong yet again! We ended up with 4 pieces of bread with some toppings (which constituted 2 entres), the stuffed mussel entre (which we got to choose) was actually some mussels with grated cheese on top grilled. The 2 x mains were actually a paella to share (2 options = chicken or seafood) we chose seafood however there was no visible seafood in it?

Looking at the normal menu and prices… they have the nerve to charge premium restaurant prices for food and service that would not even meet regular fast-food/take-away standards. My wife and I are not big eaters (to put it into perspective – we are veryyyy full after sharing a standard large pizza), but we were not satisfied after our Docked experience hence we skipped the coffee so we could go home ASAP and have a light snack.

In conclusion this is actually a Spanish themed bar (with a small offer of expensive tapas) rather than a “restaurant”.

2  Thank Tyson S

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We had our wedding after party at Docked and could not have asked for a better location, venue or service. Thanks to Dom and his staff for accommodating us and making our night so intimate and special!

Reviewed 11 February 2012

12 tapas, nothing like the tasty photos. none of the selection was hot. all were some salad on top of dry piece of bread, not even tasetful.
not the kind of a night out you'll want to have. we were out of there as soon as possible, about 15-20 minutes - the food was gone in less than 5.
total waste of time

1  Thank hyron1
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Just stopped for a drink on our way to Docklands ... never left! Sat, inhaled the view, grazed on one main after another and enjoyed the 'local' liquids. Definitely going back!

It was a quiet night so we had a lot of attention, but they wandered over at the right times.

3  Thank carolyn h
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I recently went to Docked for the first time with a group of friends and could not say more about this place!

Being a vegetarian I don’t normally gravitate towards tapas however after speaking with the waitress I was incredibly happy with what the chef prepared especially for me, which I very rarely am when I out dine out, no matter what the cuisine.

Yes, it’s not in the best of locations although while I’m not a fan of the Docklands I think it would have to have the best view of the water. And I loved the fact it was tucked away from the soulless main strip where all the other restaurants are.

I’m really confused by all the bad reviews on here – I’m not sure people understand the concept of tapas here?

I honestly could not rate this place high enough. The food was amazing, the staff friendly and efficient and I thought the venue was both eclectic and charming.
Definitely worth a visit or four!

2  Thank Leo81lion