“Convenience at a reasonable price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Arden Motel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melbourne
Arden Motel
Ranked #6 of 21 Melbourne B&B and Inns
“Convenience at a reasonable price.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

I have stayed at The Arden several times now. Unlike many people who have higher expectations of everything they see, do and visit these days, I'm happy with simple value for money. The Arden offers that.
For me, it's not about what era the decor appears to be from, it's about comfort, price and convenience of location.
The Arden is tidy and clean, the rooms are comfortable, the service is good and friendly and you're a hop skip and jump away from most things people come to Melbourne to see. Not to mention there's car parking, which many city motels don't offer, and the staff are more than happy for you to leave your car in the car park on the day of check out if you still have a last minute shopping trip to do.
Cheaper than so many city motels. If you're after pools, spas, buffet breakfasts and modern decor... five star accomodation? Then you won't be spending $90 a night. But if you want somewhere comfy and affordable to call base camp while you're staying in Melbourne then I highly recommend The Arden.

• Stayed February 2013
12 Thank EDayle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

Unscheduled 2 day trip to Melb during OZ open on a tight budget. Basic clean accommodation short 15 min walk out of the city, everything there that should be, clean towels, tea, coffee, light breakfast as advertised. Room decor and furniture was a bit 80'ish but happy that the beds were reasonably comfy and the air-con worked. Family run business, nothing 5 star about the service and front office is a bit disorganised (but no hold-ups checking in or out). Free parking makes it better value, will be back.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank inky353
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2013

I really don't like saying bad things about businesses because I am not the kind of person that wants to damage anyones reputation.But..I also really like using this site as I value peoples honest opinion so I have to be honest myself..Here goes, I'll keep it short and to the point. This hotel was really the worst I've ever stayed in, the only reason I was here was to visit a family member at the Royal Melbourne Hospital which was literally a 4-5min walk.
The bed linen was dirty, dirty, dirty. The kitchenette had mould upon mould growing everywhere.The bed was crooked! Yes crooked, It leant to the left which you could literally fall off if you weren't careful. Also this was the smallest bed I've slept in since I was 5 years old. I am 5ft nothing,,so I'm not exactly tall, and my feet touched the end of the bed...Bizarre,... they looked like little mini beds. I did take photos because I think photos speak louder than words. Look I could go on and on at how terrible this place was but I think your best bet is to just look at the photos as they speak for themselves. I wouldn't stay here even if they paid me to. I would rather walk around the streets of Melbourne aimlessly. Check the photos out guys.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MonicaB1969

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

I've stayed at the Arden every December for the past 5 years and have absolutely no hesitation recommending it to anyone. As Tassie said, it's a budget motel and no more than 3 stars, but it's fantastic value for money for anyone driving to Melbourne. I've NEVER encountered a problem with the cleanliness of the rooms and it's perfectly located - walking distance to the city (20 mins to Bourke St), local shops/restaurants and even the Zoo. Don't be put off by the overly critical or hard-to-please overseas tourists.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Paul R
Wodonga, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed at The Arden for 2 nights while I was in Melbourne. I have stayed here on & off over the last 20 years if down for a quick business trip or to see someone in hospital. The decor and building hasn't changed much in the last 20 years (except the TV) and yes some things are getting a bit ragged around the edges but at the end of the day i was just sleeping there. It is well located to the major hospitals and is only a 25 minute walk into the city for shopping or business.
The staff appear friendly and for $88 you get the room, parking, contintenal breakfast and a newspaper. obviously for that price don't expect the Taj Mahal. You can leave your car in the carpark during the day of check out which is also a bonus especially if you are travelling out of the city to the north. My room was quite and down the back and I had a good nights sleep.
For a good meal go the the Castle Hotel just accross from the motel ($17 all meals on Menu on Tuesdays)

Room Tip: Try and get back room as Arden St can get quite busy early mornings and peak hour in the afternoon
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Stanley E
Tasmania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2012

We stayed at The Arden for 1 night. It was in a quiet location (we requested a back room) , the staff were very friendly. The building is dated, and so is the decore, however, it is a budget motel, and we didn't expect anything more. It would certainly be convenient for people with their own vehicle. There are some nice sunny tables and chairs for sitting outside, a bit public, but still pleasant. A bbq is available, but check that there is gas before going out to purchase your food.

Room Tip: Some of the side street rooms have a small 'atriam' which lets in some more light, and the s...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank TassieGrammia
Verona, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2012

We, as a family, lodged there for only a few days and found it to be a grotty, noisy, dirty, cold and unfriendly place to stay. Not to mention the price - too high for the service. Never again! I think hell would be more welcoming!
Jojo