“Only stay here if everywhere else is booked out”
Review of The Bloomfield

The Bloomfield
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne
The Bloomfield
Ranked #143 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 18 March 2013

My husband and i stayed here for four nights. We had a room in the mansion which is large in size however it was very noisy. The walls are paper thin and you definately hear what is happening in the rooms next door and also perhaps from upstairs. The room were in was very tired, it is in need of an update. The only decent thing about the bathroom was the toileteries supplied, however they are only replaced if they are empty. The bathroom has had a semi renovation to make it look modern with a new shower screen for the bath shower and also a new vanity, however the toilet or at least toilet seat needs to be replaced and it needs to be either re-tiled or regrouted and painted. Please note that if you stay here there is only partial service
The hotel only has a 'limited' menu for dinner and does not offer room service. If you want a 'hotel' experience don't stay here but if you just need a place to sleep bring some ear plugs.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 August 2012

My boyfriend and I have stayed here on two occasions in a 'petitie double' room, simply as a place to crash close to the city after a festival and night out. The first time we stayed, our room was mediocre. It faced the street and we were woken around 7am with roadworks, however to their credit reception had warned us about the work at check in. The bathroom was clean enough to use comfortably but had clearly not been scrubbed thoroughly for quite some time. The room itself was quite large, however looked and felt like a poor imitation of the room presented on the website - much more dated/dingy. On our second visit we were given a smaller but more nicely furnished room, with no complaints other than the cleaners mistakenly coming into our room in the morning. Not a fantastic place to stay if you are a light sleeper, as other guests are heard clearly through the walls. We paid $95 per night, and at that rate I would stay there again.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Ivan Z, General Manager at The Bloomfield, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Dear LLucy99,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your recent stay at The Albany Hotel.

8hotels collection has only recently acquired the Albany and It is so pleasing to read that you found your second stay more enjoyable. Comfort and service are certainly of our highest priority and I would like to apologise for the confusion you had with housekeeping.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Albany Hotel sometime in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I stayed here a while back, but it is still well and truly etched in my mind. The location is just a short tram trip from the CBD and the Bridge road shopping area.
The room was small, but clean and neat. The bathroom funky, but to ensure privacy in there, you have to pull down a large blind.
The rooms aren't very soundproof and we had to ask a group of people that were hanging around in a sitting area outside the rooms to be quiet on multiple occasions. This was at about 2am...

Breakfast was provided in the tariff, but was a fairly basic croissant and coffee.

The real low light for me though, was when I arrived back home and realized that I had left my new jeans sitting on the bench in the room. Shopping bag and all....

I rang the hotel immediately and informed them and they said they would get back to me. 24 hours later, still no word.
I rang again and they told me that they were "Trying to get hold of the cleaner and they would call me back".

Still no word from them, so I call again. This time I was told that "the housekeeper accidentally took them home with her."

I finally got confirmation that they had been returned to the hotel. No offer was made to post them out to me, but in all honesty, I doubt I would have taken them up on that offer anyway. They might have gone missing again.

I made the trip back to the city the next weekend to pick them up myself.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This hotel is in two parts: the Bloomfield and the Albany and share a common reception area. Try and ensure you stay in the former rather than the latter as the rooms are larger, more quirky and are of the period when the front building was constructed. The older rooms have high ceilings, wooden floors and period features. The bathrooms are literally a cupboard but are functional. The beauty of the hotel is the location.
Parking can be a little trying so if you stay there once you find a parking spot use public transport or walk as the spots fill quickly and street parking is a lottery.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay in the Bloomfield part of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Having checked out the hotel's website, I arrived at this hotel with a little excitement that it might be a little surprise packet outside of the CBD. I had paid $139 for a 'Deluxe Room' through a Groupon deal.
This doesn't compare to what you can get for that price in the city. The bathroom was bad news- quite dreary. The bed was comfy enough- but sleep was difficult because you could hear EVERYTHING going on in the hallway, & even, to a lesser extent, in the neighbouring rooms.
This is a tarted-up 70's motel- but it seems they ran out of money as they were going through the process.
There was a For Sale sign on the front with a SOLD sticker on it- so maybe the new owners will breathe some life into the old doll.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Fantastic photographer because the photos looked good. We got there to our disappointment that it didn't look as nice as the photos.

The room was dirty. They made us split the beds and put on the linen ourselves (there was only 1 sheet and a very dirty dooner filled with stains. The other bed had black hair in it and the sheets hadn't been changed. My daughter said that the backpackers hotel was cleaner. We had to stay there for 1 night because they wouldn't refund our money. The next few nights we stayed at a beautiful hotel nearby.

I frequently visit Melbourne because my daughter lives there. I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Rina T
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Walls filled with large size photos of the Rolling Stones tours of Australia give a real sense of wanting to turn what is effectively an inner city motel attached to an old manor into something like the Chateau Marmont in LA, a place for faded rock stars to continue their fading. Alas, it's the place that's faded not the clients. Some of the world's worst plumbing can be found here in the old manor part and when we had no water for a day and a half because an old pipe burst, we were told at checkout by John Cleese in drag that ..."the hotel couldn't be responsible for an act of God"! That the plumbing worked in other rooms in the motel part is yet more evidence that apparently God has a sense of humor.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple