“Good value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #77 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Adelaide, Australia
“Good value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Located at the intersection of Flinders Lane and Spencer Street, the Holiday Inn on Flinders is well located to Docklands with a price tag that matches the quality - a good upper mid-range hotel. Staff were friendly, the room well presented and the upgrade to a suite appreciated. You're not paying for 5-star, nor do you receive it. But you get what you're promised and a little bit more. I'll be back.

Room Tip: The suites give you a view up Spencer Street towards Southern Cross station. Quite a sight.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank clarmich
IHG_Hotel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear clarmich

Thanks for your great feedback. I am grateful to receive this. We pride ourselves on being a really good Holiday Inn in an excellent location. Our service is approachable and positive which is reflected in what you are promised and of course friendly too. I am equally thrilled you will be back with us again and choose Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders as your “home” in Melbourne.

Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Well I had an early checked in yesterday approx 9:30am by one attentive and pleasant Ms Hansley. She helped me to confirm my travel itinerary with AAT KINGS etc Well normally checking in is 2pm. As hotel were fully booked night before making the extra effort getting 1 room cleaned and ready for a long overnight flight will children meant a lot to us. Remaining 2 rooms were ready when we returned.

I booked 3 rooms thru travel agent in Malaysia Room 102/110/201 for 8 nights from 9th till 17th June.

I could happily vouch that I have ticked AFFIRMATIVE YES on most of the services. Rooms are big clean simple decor comfortable etc.

Night shift receptionist Conrad even suggested joining Holiday Inn membership to have 24hrs access to wifi during my 8 nights stay which is exceptionally helpful after tiring full day exploring vibrant melbourne. Usually wifi is limited to 2hrs at the lobby per day.

When I returned yesterday complimentary bottled water 2 boxes of sweets for children and brochures discounts and visitors guides were made available by reception team James McAsey. Even Executive Chef wrote whether menu needed to be tweaked for long staying guests.

I can't comment on food cause I didn't opt for breakfast etc

FOC city circle tram, 7/11, dominos etc is just around the corner max 2 minutes walk. Another 20 min walk to federation square chinatown.

As I have 7 more nights stay I will share my experiences later.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Great Western, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We have just had 4 nights here for my husbands 60th great place to stay good room quiet floor. Cleaning staff wonderful a special mention to the breakfast staff nothing was too hard for them and John the chef excellent omelette s my husband said and what a wonderful friendly man to go out of his way to have 5 mins conversation on a mornings. Michelle and the night bar manager and staff who made my cocktails lol thank you for your kindness. Hotel clean and short walk from everything. Thank you all for making our stay memorable as I haven't been to Melbourne before .

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor so so quiet up there
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
IHG_Hotel, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Dear Trish W

“Excellent place to be” is such a great reference to our hotel and I thank you for taking the time to express your stay with us. I love your comments naming great staff who embraces the Holiday values of welcoming, friendly and professional.

We are thrilled to have played a part in your stay here and make Melbourne a memorable experience for you all.

Thanks again.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The Holiday Inn is in a great location very close to the Flinders Station and Spencer Outlet shops and walking distance to DFO South Wharf and supermarket (Watch out for Woolworths up the road at Flinders station as more a convenience store, very expensive - go a short distance down the road to the Coles supermarket far cheaper). I am Hotel Gold member at Holiday Inn so get free Wifi which is good. Unfortunately I chose the wrong room being a studio which note is very small. Last time I was here I booked a one bedroom apartment this is far better. The studio is too small and only had one bedside table and lamp on one side of the bed - they need to sort this out and buy a small side table and lamp. My partner was not happy each morning when I had to turn on the main light - this is a easy fix.
I did raise this at reception and got basically a poor response from the lady at reception.

Room Tip: Go for a one bedroom apartment as studio very small. Try and get a higher floor due to road noise...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andrew M
IHG_Hotel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Andrew M

I appreciate the time you have taken to let us know your feedback from your recent stay with us. We also appreciate you being an IHG Gold Rewards Club Member.

Thanks for the feedback regarding our rooms. I am disappointed you felt you received a poor response from our reception team. We typically pride ourselves on great caring professional service from our team. I will share your feedback with them so we have the opportunity to improve our delivery.

Thanks once again and great points about the supermarket which is very handy to the hotel also.
Regards

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

This hotel has great staff, reasonable prices for Australia, and offers some great amenities.

Pros
Valet parking. A must! Quick recovery when you need to leave, too.

While the breakfast service is higher priced, which is normal for Australia it seems, the offering was the best I had while in the country. They have eggs/omelets made to order and they deliver it to your table. The other items offered had more variety and the quality was very good.

Free wifi, a pet peeve of mine with higher priced hotels. They passed.

Spacious room and very comfortable bed. It was also very quiet.

The direct area around the hotel was not super night-life like.....though there are shops and restaurants nearby. I recommend walking about 3/8 of a mile to the river which offers TONS of selections and also great views/scenery. And the offerings are vast and awesome. I love Melbourne and this area especially.

Cons
Lighting in the room was weak. Plugs were not prevalent for cell, tablet, etc.

No "amazing views".

Overall, I recommend this hotel and I will stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Ararat, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I had booked to stay at a different hotel in Melbourne in early December 2013 but they were very unhelpful and as I did not have a credit card it made paying extremely difficult. At last minute, I found Holiday Inn on Flinders and stayed there. It was fantastic.
So, a couple of weeks later when coming to Melbourne with a couple of my girlfriends for New Years, I absolutely was going to stay at Holiday Inn.
As the first time, the staff were extremely helpful and offered advice on how I could pay for the room easier (I am only 18 and it was one of my first times travelling without an adult, very naive and inexperienced) and all staff at the front desk, bar and restaurant were absolutely brilliant.
The room was great and bed was comfortable. Breakfast and dinner was delicious as we're drinks from the bar.
Only complaint would be that breakfast was very busy and running low, however that is much my fault as we came to eat pretty late, and staff did their best to accommodate for us.
As it was New Years and mine and my friends first night out in the city, we asked some staff what some good places to go were, and they were VERY helpful and friendly. Again, I can not fault the customer service.
Love the location, close to train station and lots of bars and crown, very central and helpful for us who were on foot the whole stay.
Loved that we could keep our luggage at the hotel after we checked out and could come back and pick it up after some further exploration of the city.
Coming back to stay at the end of this month for my birthday and looking forward to great staff, rooms, and food again. Thanks Holiday Inn!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Warrnambool, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Location of this hotel is awesome close to casino, sth promenade and all the eating areas. Bar was open which suited us, the staff are very polite and professional. Room was great, it was clean and neat. Was very close to the function we attended at The Cargo Hall on Sth Promenade

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
IHG_Hotel, Manager at Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear sharon j

Thanks for the feedback on your stay with us.

We work hard to ensure our rooms are presented clutter free and clean and tidy as you indicated. Our staff is frequently commented on that they are friendly and provide positive experiences for all our guests. The location of the hotel too is commented on, being right on the door step of Melbourne’s top attractions and tram lines.

We hope to see you again one day and thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders for this stay.

Kind regards