“It's always a pleasure to come back to a room here”

Holiday Inn Melbourne on Flinders
Ranked #69 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 20 June 2009

I've stayed here a few times for work in the past year, and have always had a great experience. Staff at reception are always welcoming and courteous, the beds are comfortable and I like their pillow menu. Rooms are well fitted out - standard hotel, but without feeling cheap (signs of some wear are inevitable); colour theme (deep dove grey, white, tan) is soothing without being bland. Rooms are also well kitted out, with tea/coffee facilites (they don't tend to supply herbal teas, but I called reception and they sent something up), a small fridge with minibar essentials; iron & ironing board; hairdryer; toiletries in bathroom; tv with good range of channels; work desk with lamp; closet with removable hangers. After a long day at a trade fair, it's always a pleasure to come back to a room here.

It's not suited to the budget traveller, and isn't what I would classify as luxurious, either. The location is a bit far from the retail strips/theatres/restaurants of the city centre, so may be more suited to the business traveller/trade fair visitor. Having said that, it's very convenient to the factory outlet just up the road, next to the railway station, and the casino is just on the other side of the river, if that's what you're into.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 15 June 2009

Location-wise, I thought the hotel was pretty idea. It wasn't somewhere I'd suggest wandering alone at night, but it was pretty well located. That is one of the only good things I have to say about the hotel.

The staff that greeted me was friendly, but it was downhill from there.

The room smelled of urine, and didn't seem to be very well cleaned. There was no real view to speak of. The front desk staff made a mess of ordering me a shuttle to catch my flight home, even though I checked back with them that the booking had been made. Their error resulted in an expensive, last minute taxi ride to the airport that left me out of pocket.

I strongly suggest looking elsewhere for a hotel if you're going to stay in Melbourne, as the Holiday Inn was a big, big disappointment.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank Kallalilly
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Arrived at the Hotel at 4.50am following a long flight from the UK so I had booked the previous night to settledown when I arrived. There appeared only to be one person at the reception overnight but the service received and efficiency of the check in was second to none. Everything was ready and the whole process just flew by. As a Platinum Priority Club card holder my King Size room was upgrade for the stay to a Suite. This was at the front of the hotel and whilst I though this might be noisy as I was only on the 4th floor this was not the case.

The room was clean with good furnishing and linens in the bedroom with a desk, sofa, table and dining area in the living room. Good TV 's in both rooms.

One disapointment - as with many hotels I have stayed at outside the USA was the cost of the internet - circa AUS$30 a day which when you compare to the price in local internet cafe's and the free service provided at McDonalds.

Transport was excellent - the Free City Circle Tram stopping close by and a short walk to the nearest stop on the Free City Centre Tourist bus. Could also catch the City Trams to many locations including St Kilda's beach from outside the Hotel. Suburban trains which take you around the city and further away avaliable at Southern Cross station about 3 mins walk from the Hotel. This is also the start/terminus point for the airport bus.

Overall would stay again here.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2009

bit musky smell, dirty carpets, good bed, okay I guess. Okay outdoor pool, some idiot broke a glass in the outdoor pool which was okay but then we couldn't swim in it because it had to be cleaned - but that wasn't the hotel's fault! Fremantle was staying there which was a bonus.

1  Thank MarleneMelbourne
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I only stayed one night at the Holiday Inn, but thought it was fantastic for the price i paid. The room had two double beds and a computer desk which would be very handy for the business traveller. In easy walking distance of casino, yarra, trams and spencer st station. No complaints about the room at all. Check in and check out was fast and easy and i even requested a late check out and was entitled to it due to being a priority guest. We dined in the sirocco restuarant that night and the food and service was fantastic. Great Idea to supply my 2 yr old with a free dinner, dessert and a pencil case with paper, pencils and stickers. I would stay again and reccommend as a fantastic choice.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank babmadsa
Reviewed 14 March 2009

I recently spent three days at a work conference with a dozen colleagues at this hotel. I am a Melbourne resident and stayed one night at the hotel with my group. I was surprised at the high quality of this Holiday Inn, having stayed at this chain only once before in the USA. This hotel is in the CBD within close walk to all attractions and all tram lines. Walking into the room was like walking into an Intercontinental hotel, king size bed, quality linen, plasma TV, quality carpet and curtains. My room was quiet, however two colleagues complained of loud TV's through the night. The bathroom was woefully outdated but very clean, shower over bath. A number of cards in the room requesting assistance if needed ie with forgotten toiletries for no charge, etc. I really enjoyed my stay and slept like a baby. For those who like 5 star but are on a 3 star budget, I recommend this hotel. Also, we had unlimited use of the buffet for all three meals and again I was taken aback by the quality and choice of the meals in the Sirrocco cafe. I would be happy to eat there any day of the week. We all complained that it was too good and we were putting on weight! All staff were fantastic, one arranged valet parking for a bicycle for a colleague who lived nearby, others obliged our request to photograph them for a project, snacks arrived on time to the conference room and were yummy and we were asked frequently if we were happy with the service. Also adjoining rooms were offered to us for project work when needed. The final treat for we ladies was the arrival of the St George rugby team from Sydney and watching them use the pool and be massaged in their shorts!! Thank you Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank Kramax
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed a comfortable stay. My room was large and well appointed. The hotel is in a great location just off Flinders St. Very handy for trains, buses and trams.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo