“Beautiful Hotel, Adequate Accommodations”

Crowne Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #79 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night to attend a conference. As expected of a Crowne Plaza, the accommodations were clean, the staff friendly, and the amenities what you would expect in a hotel. I loved that the room access was via tap of the keycard, not insertion which can get clumsy and difficult at times at other hotels.

Unfortunately there was a hair (not mine) underneath the bathroom sink. I found the bathtub and shower old fashioned, however clean apart from the hair small mishap. I was disappointed to be charged $4 to heat up my oatmeal (specialised diet due to illness). A microwave would have helped greatly for this reason and for heating up baby milk etc.

The bed was comfortable and I didn't use any of the other amenities. It was a great location - just across the bridge to the convention centre and for this, I'd probably stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gem H
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear Gem H,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay. I am very appreciative of all feedback, as it assists us in better understanding how we can further enhance our guests experience. Thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Great location close to everything, especially a busy noisy pub next door with music played live and outside Friday and Saturday nights till after 11.
Choose a room further away and you probably won't have an issue, but keep away from any ending in the 30's or 40's.
We booked this last year and feel we could have been given a better situated room. Oh well.......

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank 22,072,013
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear 22072013,

Thank you for your feedback in relation to the noise from a nearby bar. We always appreciate learning what our guests are experiencing from all the different locations within the hotel and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times and it certainly has some positives. The rooms are adequate and the beds comfortable. The toiletries are satisfactory and ample. The black out curtains in the room are fantastic! The common areas of the hotel are spacious and inviting. The hotel is well located, close to the free tram and a short walk to everything. The concierge are helpful and knowledgeable.

The misses with our stay this time were because of our 4 year old boy travelling with us. I always notice when a hotel doesn't cater well for children. I think this hotel misses this point probably because they aren't a huge proportion of the clientele. So just a few improvements would have helped. Firstly there was no bed in the room for our child, although we booked one. That arrived, no problem but then the entire duration of our stay we were only left 2 towels. If you saw there were clearly 3 in the room, wouldn't you leave 3 towels? That's only a niggly point though. The main issue with regards to children at this hotel is the room service menu. You can certainly order a ham and cheese sandwich from the child's menu on the room service menu. But when it arrives it is covered with seeded mustard? I suggest it be omitted. I don't know many kids who put seeded mustard on a ham and cheese toastie. Next time I tried ordering a ham and cheese pizza instead for my boy. They charged me more because I wanted something "off the menu" and wouldn't budge on that point. I just found it a little over the top. The general feeling of this hotel is that children were an inconvenience rather than welcome.

Overall it's a satisfactory choice in Melbourne. It's only because I'm a harsh critic that my review might come across more negative than some others.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear BubbleGirl13,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased upon reading your positive comments however I'd like to thank you for bringing to my attention your concerns over our hotel catering for children. Catering for all guest needs is something that is certainly never overlooked. We hope to welcome you again soon to the hotel.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed here for one night while attending a conference. Didn't eat any meals so can't comment on the food, but walking past the restaurant it looked nice.
Comfortable bed & pillows, well equipped room, quality amenities.
Very friendly and helpful staff.
Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear ShaneH13,

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and look forward to having you with us again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

we had a weekend trip to Melbourne with another couple to watch an afl game. decided to stay at the crowne plaza as its well located. just across the bridge to the casino complex, very close to the outlet shopping and restaurants, and easy to get the tram to the mcg for the footy on saturday afternoon. food in the restaurant was delicious. could not fault it at all. breakfast was also very good. only bad thing to complain about was the pressure in the shower was barely more than a trickle. and I hate showers over a bathtub with a shower curtain. and the poor design of the wardrobe in my room. it was not wide enough to close the door when you hung your clothes in there. but we were only there for 2 night so it did not bother me.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lara2510
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Lara2510,

Thank you for your review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm happy to learn that you found our location convenient to everything you planned to do whilst in Melbourne. Thank you also for your feedback in relation to the design of the bathroom and the wardrobe. We look forward to seeing you again soon on your next trip to Melbourne.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Catering primarily for the business traveller the Crowne Plaza Melbourne knows its market and caters for it well. It's ideally located for the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre, offers tram stops close by and remains a shortish walk into the City Centre.

One oddity about the hotel is its peculiar shape and consequently ample time should be allowed for the walk from the rooms, firstly to the elevators and secondly to reception.

Nevertheless the rooms are meticulously clean and more than sufficient in size. One endlessly redeeming feature of this hotel is the downstairs bar. It's sufficiently well located to seemingly only attract hotel guests and open late enough to make it an enjoyable spot to conclude a long day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for your feedback. It is greatly received. I was pleased to read that you found our location convenient to both the CBD and Exhibition Centre. We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again on your next visit.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Have stayed here a few times, as it is in a convenient location with easy access to most parts of the city, walking or tram. The rooms are reasonable priced,comfortable and clean. The staff are always helpful & efficient

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Helen K,

I was happy to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I look forward to sharing this feedback with our team.