“Great location and breakfast!”

Crowne Plaza Melbourne
Ranked #83 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Service was attentive, breakfast was excellent including made to order omletes. The location is quite good. It is in walking distance of museums, restaurants, and the free city center tram. As is always the case, the food and drinks in the bar are overpriced. The free internet is time limited per device per 24 hr period and can only be used in the lobby, bar, and restaurant.

Stayed: July 2014
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear belcorn,

Thank you for your feedback. I was pleased to read that you found our location convenient and enjoyed our breakfast. Anne, our Egg Chef, takes great pride in what she serves and I will be sure to pass on your feedback. I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back personally on your next visit.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,581)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

I had an overnight stay on business in Melbourne on a cold and rainy Wednesday. To start with, the hotel entrance was a bit difficult to find with the address on Spencer St, but the entry through a loading dock / car park / tunnel. Once parked up outside the foyer, the staff were great. I had to finish a conference call in the car, but the valet guys were happy to patiently wait once they saw what was going on. Check-in was pleasant and I was given an upgrade to a high river view room. Quite a good view over the Yarra and beyond. A quick stop in the bar with a colleague - reasonable range and good service. My room was good, nothing exciting, but a good amount of room and reasonable working space. The bathroom seemed a little dated though.
Breakfast the next morning was probably a little below expectations. Nothing wrong with it, but I was expecting a bit more 'mmm' for the price.
Easy and polite checkout.
I've noticed the prices fluctuate quite a lot for this property - worth having a look at the IHG website a few times or checking a few different days to make sure you're getting value.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank natbrown75
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear natbrown75,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us your feedback. Your comments are highly valuable to us and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. I am pleased to know that you had a satisfactory stay at our hotel and the customer service you received from our staff exceeded you expectations. I appreciate feedback that we receive, whether positive and negative to ensure we provide the best level of service and facilities that we can give to our guests. Thank you again for your review and I hope to have an opportunity of welcoming you back again soon.

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We arrived early to the Crowne Plaza and so were offered a room on the 4th floor with the option to move to our booked room on the 7th floor later in the day. We took the 4th floor and opted to stay in there as it had a good view down the river.

The Crowne Plaza is on the Southbank, across the road from Crown Casino and the myriad of restaurants if offers. The tram stop is directly in front of the hotel and very convenient. Taxis are easily accessed and we used UBER to get around as well.

Our stay was marred by the noise of renovation works at the hotel, which woke us at 8am on the second morning. We were offered free breakfast and moved to the 11th floor, all very nice but unnecessary as we should have been taken there in the first place.

This hotel has no atmosphere, the foyer is wide and shiny but with no ambience. The bar is hidden away and the buffet breakfast is average. I was disappointed after staying at Crowne Plaza Terrigal, NSW, this hotel is not in the race. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay on the upper levels - Floor 7 and over. A busy road runs out front and can be noi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank KimTherese
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear KimTherese,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I was disheartened to learn that you did not enjoy your time with us, and apologise that you were woken by noise from the neighbouring works as this should not have occurred. I was happy to read however, that our team were able to move you to are more suitable room. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss in person your experience and would be delighted if you were to contact me directly.

Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Ok, disclaimer-my husband used to practically LIVE in hotels at his last job; so, we were staying here based off points and that sort of history.

Upon check in we were upgraded to the executive level ---wow. The view of the Yarra was unsurpassed. And the proximity to the shops and restaurants (and transportation) surrounding the river was perfect-no matter what room you're in if you're looking for proximity to shopping, transportation, restaurants, and bars, this is a fantastic hotel.

Our room was incredible; super clean, comfortable - fantastic
Bed and pillows. But again, this was after an upgrade so I can't comment on the standard rooms.

The front desk was polite and helpful-the concierge had great suggestions and if we ever go to Melbourne again we would definitely try a standard room here.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank redpassport

Dear redpassport,

I was delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us, and happy to see we were able to accommodate with a complimentary upgrade. Our team look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next trip.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Situated at the west end of Melbourne's CBD and near Docklands is this better than average hotel. The best points - very pleasant staff, a generally well designed room with simple air conditioning, reasonable desk arrangement, a good shower in a reasonable bathroom and very good breakfast with espresso coffee on offer. The pillow menu is genuine and I successfully got hold of a firm latex pillow which was very welcome. The lesser aspects - a downlight over the mirror in the bathroom that was defective and kept going into a half mode, an industrial and unpleasant entrance with unintuitive access to Spencer Street when on foot, a reservations glitch affecting a colleague whose booking was not recorded (but rectified pleasantly by the desk staff) and the annoying charging for WiFi. Australian hotels charging for internet are increasingly out of step with other Australian hotels that do not charge and with international custom which increasingly involves free WiFi as a standard offering. Australian tourism is having a tough time with the high Australian dollar. Excuse me if I suggest that hotels like this contribute to the malaise in Australian tourism. Finally, the hotel looks out on the Yarra River which, on a cold day such as we had when at a full day meeting, looks cold and uninviting (and I love Melbourne in most respects).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank fatheralbert
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear fatheralbert,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Excellent hotel on the banks of the Yarra river. Ideally situated for the usual sight-seeing.
Excellent rooms with en-suite facilties. Caring,attentive staff. Good restaurant.
Has a free drop-off and pick-up for the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix race. Unfortunately, nobody told us when I ordered a taxi to take me to the race circuit!
Good tram service locally.
Not to be confused with the Crown Hotel and casino just across the river. I believe this is fantastic but really expensive.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear JohnCracknell,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was please to see our hotel was located in close proximity to all you had planned during your time here. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Rather old and dilapidated
No sense of responsibility
No warmth on the room and the staff alike
Extremely noisy from inside the hotel as well as outside, possibly paper walls and roofs.
Newspaper supply erratic
The only tick is the location but more than cancelled by everything else
The proper approach to the hotel being under maintenance the location edge also stunted.
Room service troubling slow and unprofessional.
Waste of money
The IHG rewards working is extremely frustrating with the front office allotting a number that turned out wrong when we checked in at another By property.
I Will avoid their properties now on.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank RupeshKG
Cameron A, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear RupeshKG,

I was saddened and disappointed to read that your recent stay with us failed to deliver the customer service we strive for. Your feedback is important to me and the hotel team. I welcome the opportunity to discuss in person your experience and invite you to make contact with me directly so I can assuage your concerns.