“Wouldnt bother with this one again”

Vibe Hotel Carlton Melbourne
Ranked #102 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 21 November 2008

Generally, a pretty basic hotel. Our room faced Parkville Road so it was pretty noisy the first couple of nights. The restaurant menu is pretty limited and we ate at the restaurant on one night only. The pool was in terrible condition and looked as though there was fungus growing at the bottom. There was also stuff floating in the water so I didnt venture a dip even though the weather was incredibly hot.
The staff though were pretty helpful for the most part. The aircon stank of stale cigarettes when switched on the first couple of nights. It became a necessity though as the temperatures got hotter on subsequent nights.
Honestly, if it weren't a 5 minute walk from the office, I wouldnt have stayed here.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed 12 November 2007

My husband and I stayed overnight 8/11/07. The staff were friendly and helpful, room was clean and nicely decorated, with a balcony overlooking the pool area. The tramstop was outside the hotel and made travel to the city (5 - 10 mins) very easy. Restaurant menu was simple but adequate. Cafe made great coffee. Excellent night out, resonable price and excellent staff!

Stayed: November 2007
Reviewed 8 November 2007

We booked there as a treat for our wedding anniversary and my birthday.
We can't aford to do this often so the night was special for us.
When we arrived, a special event was in full swing in their restaurant. It was so noisy the receptionist was struggling to communicate with us.
This was OK we thought, as we presumed it would end before midnight.
Unfortunately late in the evening the partygoers moved upstairs. As the hours went by, laughing and shouting turned to swearing, screaming and slamming doors.
We called reception twice, the first time being at 1.30am, the second time being at 3.30 am but to no avail.
It was the night from hell and so disappointing.

We wrote comments on our experience on the hotel comments card, but there was no communication from the hotel.

This left us with the impression that if you have a bad night in this hotel, they couldn't care less.
Rose.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rosieMelbourne
Reviewed 3 September 2007

I recently stayed at the Vibe Carlton in Parkville, Melbourne. From 29th to the 30th of August.

Firstly, this hotel is noisy! I can see that it was a makeover of some really dumpy hotel from the seventies, but putting trendy furniture and new paint does not hide the lousy sound insulation from the balcony doors and the slamming of corridor doors. You don't want to stay on the poolside, because in summer you would hear all the splashing of the poool. The other side is the very busy road. The lift was old and noisy as well. The 'no smoking' rooms are a farce, because everyone smokes on the balconies and you can smell it drifting through the balcony doors. Hardly worth the advertised price of $245.00.

Secondly, I asked reception at 6.30pm on the first night to see if they could find me an oil heater for the night because I dislike reverse cycle air conditioning (it is noisy and blows air on my face at night). The girl at the desk said she was 'too busy' to look and would try to get me one for the next night. I was not happy with this, but as it was not terribly cold, I could wait. This is not very good service by anyone's standards.

The next evening, an oil heater was put into my room but at the expense of my ring, which went missing at that time. I am convinced whoever put the oil heater in my room, took my ring. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

I did NOT misplace my ring. I put it on the living room table and it was not there upon my return in the evening.

Folks, don't be fooled by trendy ads and groovy looking furniture. If you are after peace and quiet, look elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2007

I stayed in room 114, which is just behind reception, I could occassionally hear the person at reception, but it wasn't a problem during the night.

The room was $109 and was in good condition with a ground floor view of the pool. I had both dinner and breakfast at the Vibe and the food was very nice, especially the dinner.

I went out for a five minute walk and it didn't seem that there was much around in the area, but it was convenient for me as I was going to our office in Brunswick.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
jturner13, Front Office Manager at Vibe Hotel Carlton Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2016

Dear Hellwolf,

Thank you for your review of Vibe Hotel Carlton.

We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Warm regards,
Amanda Carswell
Duty Manager

Reviewed 10 April 2007

This was the third time we had booked this hotel and while our initial visit was fantastic, the standards have plumetted.

We booked (and paid for) a 'spa room' only to be told on check-in that we were to be 'downgraded' to a normal room. The excuse was that spa rooms were given on a 'subject to availability' basis. When I responded with the fact that we had paid an extra $20 (for the first night) and $30 (for the second night) for the spa room, and that they had already taken the room rate from my credit card, all they could offer was a free breakfast. The reception staff could not comprehend our point that if you book and pay for a particular room they should keep it for you - It was the first time I have ever been 'downgraded' without refund in a hotel.

Unfortunately, while the temptation was to quickly find somewhere else, we were quickly reminded of the no refund policy - Unbelievable!!!

Our woes did not end on check in either - We were provided with what appeared to be a twin room (for a married couple) with beds that looked like they were straight from a UN refugee camp. When we complained we were told that it was the only room available. A quick check on the wotif.com website showed that they were still advertising other rooms (including 'spa' rooms - hmmmph!).

The next day we took in the 'free' morning breakfast which was barely edible - I'm not sure who does the cooking in this hotel restaurant, but with the number of outstanding dining establishments close by we were perplexed that such a relatively large hotel could not find somebody who could at least cook scrambled eggs. The only edible part of the entire (small) buffet was the cereal. It was even worse the second morning when the staff present were in some form of dispute with supervisors/managers and were angrily complaining to each other within earshot of all present. To try and charge $18 per person for this abomination is highway robbery.

Housecleaning was also appalling - Coffee provisions were not replaced and dirty spoons/cups and newspapers were just left where they lay. In all the only thing housekeeping seemed to do was pull up the doona on the bed and replace the towells.

Furthermore, our room was left open by housecleaning staff for what, in all liklihood, was close to 7 hours (given we returned to our room at 5pm to find the door ajar). Thankfully nothing from our room was stolen. To his credit, the lad on reception was most apologetic, however it doesn't excuse the apalling breach of security by hotel staff.

Overall we were bitterly dissappointed by our latest experience with the Vibe chain. It seems clear to us that Vibe have lost its edge and gone from what was once a cool/funky place to stay, to nothing more than a budget chain catering for large asian tour groups and budget international airlines.

Given the quality of hotels elsewhere in Melbourne (for similar prices and in much better locations) you would be mad to choose 'Vibe'

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank Brent67
Reviewed 23 December 2006

I stayed here back in May for one night. I found it for $95 on Jetstars website, and grabbed it while I could.
Luckily we decided to hire a car, as it would have been difficult getting around, even though the tram goes directly pass the hotel.
We were given a room on the 2nd floor, but when we walked in, it was a Queen bed, after booking a twin room.
Went back down to the front desk, and the Receptionist apologised, and gave us a room on the 3rd floor. This room faced the main road, but was quiet enough.
The room had been done up recently, and was fantastic value for money.
I would stay here again if the price was right,

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Jazzamcc

Dear Jazzamcc,

Thank you for your review of Vibe Hotel Carlton.

Kind regards,