“Great spot”

GreenLeadersGold level
Canberra, Australia
“Great spot”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Close to CBD and next door to heaps of top places to eat. Neat, clean and very friendly staff at a reasonabl price.
Our Room was bright and well decorated and to our surprise had a spa. We caught a taxi to most destinations which came pretty well sraight away.

Will definately stay again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear TheBoard,

Thank you for all the positive feedback and I am pleased you enjoyed being our guest.

Come and stay with us again soon.

Kevin Birchall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

I booked this as I was told I had to experience the restaurants on Lygon St during my first trip to Melbourne, which were indeed fabulous. If this is what you are coming for, then this motel is very convenient. However, not being familiar with the city, I decided to walk (pulling a suitcase) from Flinders St. Be aware that this is not a short or easy (uphill) walk.
Positives: very helpful receptionist on arrival (Judith?) who gave me a quiet room away from both streets and booked the Skybus shuttle for me. Comfortable and clean room, decent furnishings. Beautiful fluffy towels. Really important to me: ample vanity bench space for toiletry bag.
Negatives: the king bed was two singles joined in the middle, so sleeping in the middle (a luxury when on your own) was uncomfortable. The sliding door separating the bedroom and bathroom was opaque glass, not a problem in itself but it let a lot of light in as there was only a venetian blind on the bathroom window. I prefer it dark when I sleep. No clock radio! The most significant negative for me was the trickling water/plumbing noise from the floor above. At first I thought it was toilet flushing or showering from the unit upstairs but it happened constantly, like every 10seconds. If I was not so tired it would have disturbed my sleep.
I would come back again because it wasn't expensive, and being on Lygon St is a foodie's dream location. But I'm also tempted to seek out other accommodation options for my next trip.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear Figgy69,

Thank you for your review of our hotel and I am sorry your stay was not as good as it could have been. I can appreciate walking all the way across Melbourne with a suitcase would be a bit a of a mission but am glad we were able to help to get you out to the airport on your departure.

I am pleased that you found the rooms clean and fluffy bath towels with extra vanity space were to your liking as well, but apologize if you found the pipes disturbing.

I hope you come and stay with us again, and please let us know if we can assist with transport before you arrive.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 October 2013

My colleague and I stayed here last week while attending a conference (also held at the hotel) and thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Our rooms were lovely and spacious, housekeeping's servicing of the room was to a consistently high standard and the customer service provided by Judith, Sandy, Olivia, Kayleen? and Kevin was fantastic! It was great to see the staff often working across all departments. The breakfast buffet was beautifully presented each morning and provided a wide variety in addition to the cooked menu options. Our location in Melbourne was perfect and Judith often went out of her way in helping us navigate around the city which was very much appreciated! Highly recommend the Downtowner to others!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Dear Ambassador_Team,

Wow, thanks for your glowing review and perfect score. It gave me special pleasure to pass on your feedback to the individuals you mention, and it pleases me no end to read your comment about our guys and girls supporting each other across the departments and consistently delivering the same level of attention to our guests.

I am pleased you enjoyed our combination of continental breakfast buffet and freshly prepared hot dishes each morning- our breakfast offering and service is one of our unique points of difference and value propositions.

Please recommend away, and come and visit us again soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Located in the middle of everything that makes Lygon Street what it is!
Not fancy, just clean and comfortable.
Our room was above the front door, so we had a little street noise, but that’s a problem only if you are a light sleeper.
Spacious room. Wall of windows for lots of natural light. Basic kitchen. Modern bath. Everything was sleek, clean and efficient.
Free internet.
Delightfully friendly, welcoming and gracious front desk personnel! Helped with luggage, directions and restaurant recommendations.
Will stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear SHVA,

I am pleased you found our hotel clean and spacious. One of the interesting design features we have is the floor to ceiling windows which as you mention allow plenty of natural light to permeate the room.

Thank you for your comments and we are pleased that you intend to stay with us again.

Australia
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I have often walked past this hotel and it didn't look anything special. However on staying there I realised I was wrong. You would be hard put to find fault. My room was spacious, nicely furnished and modern without being overly trendy. The bed was very comfortable and the free wi-fi worked without a hitch. There is plenty of desk and table space. The only slightly odd thing is that you look to the street through your bathroom, but as the bathroom has a big window it feels OK, and it probably helps to filter out some of the street noise. The bedroom window opens onto the interior courtyard and you do feel a bit exposed to people walking past.
The breakfast was pleasant and I also had dinner in the restaurant, where the food and service were very good, although there are no proper vegetarian options, which would be a problem for some people.
The parking is convenient as it’s hard to get a parking space in that area. Apparently you can just ring for a cheap rate if it is not included, and I was allowed to leave my car there all day after I'd checked out. The location right on Lygon Street, but at the quieter end, is ideal. And you could easily walk to the theatre district, Chinatown etc.
The best thing about the hotel is the staff; the receptionist (female) was truly the most pleasant hotel desk-person I have ever encountered, and everyone else was lovely too.

Dear Ert53,

Your review on our hotel was very insightful and appreciated coming from someone who travels as much as you do- I took the time to read some of your other reviews and am really pleased that you rate us so highly.

I am also pleased you got to use the complimentary WIFI and enjoyed having dinner in the restaurant; being amongst some of the best food offerings in Melbourne (or the world ;-)) means we need need to be good to compete. We have a "Just Ask" policy in the hotel and our creative chef brigade can create almost anything for special dietary requirements as well.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and come again soon.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I cannot speak more highly of the accommodating, friendly and service orientated team at the hotel. I was in Melbourne for the marathon and the genuine interest and encouragement shown by the team was heart-warming (the best in my travels around the country!). The room was large and accommodating (2 adults, one child and one infant) and perfect for our needs. Located with an abundance of restaurants close by and a short walk into the city this was ideal. I look forward to staying here in future trips to Melbourne.

Thanks to all the team there!

Room Tip: Closing the bathroom door for us helped to shut out the street noise in the evening.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Griffangus,

I really appreciate your comments about our team- it is great to hear that they showed you and your family genuine care whilst you were our guest.

I am also pleased you enjoyed our location and we all look forward to your next stay.

Wonthaggi
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed two nites and found that from the staff at the service desk, to the dining room waitresses
were extremely friendly and helpful.
While l stayed in a basic room, it suited my needs on this trip.
in house dining was very acceptable.
It is a shame that the overall good standard was sadly let down with the housekeeping.
Black hair on the side of the bath was not a good look for a traveller, but l think the worst was
the marks or stains on the floor of the bath, resembling the marks of an old bath slip mat, and a yellowish, body fat color...
wasnt a good look, overcame it by putting one of the towels down before using.
Once working in the hotel industry myself, l realized that sometimes things can be overlooked if
housekeeping is shortstaffed...
Hopefully, that was all it was.
The most outstanding staff member that l dealt with was on duty at reception.
Her name was Judith, and l cannot commend her highly enough,
Her offer, that if by chance, the taxi booked didn't arrive, she would drive me to the southern
station, while not required, was appreciated, and goes above what her job description would
expect, l am sure.
Once again l ask you to pass on my thanks to her.

Thelma Hardy

Dear Thelma H,

Thank you very much for your feedback and for identifying Judith for her customer service. She along with our entire front desk team pride themselves on their level of service and going above and beyond what would usually be expected.

I am really sorry for the poor standard of cleaning you experienced and my housekeeping team are equally disappointed, they too take great pride in the presentation of their rooms and this is not the standard they aspire too.

Thank you for taking the time to let me know your thoughts and i can assure you we will be better on your next visit.