“A quiet night in the city”

Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon
Ranked #67 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Rooms were clean & comfy, had everything we needed for a short stay whilst catching up with family; breakfast was good; service was friendly and efficient, parking was inexpensive; what more could you ask for? Can recommend staying here, especially for access to the eateries in Lygon Street, which are only a short stroll away.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear CT090,

Thank you for your review and recommendation of our breakfast and secure inexpensive car parking. We offer easy access to some great cafes on Lygon street, and I hope on your next visit you try our own restaurant- we have just launched our winter menu.

Come and stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Downtowner and will definitely book a room again on our next visit to Melbourne. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and the room was spotless and very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and the location was perfect for a weekend in the city.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room away from road noise. Was lovely and quiet with the added bonus of a balcon...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Debbie G,

Thank you for your feedback and perfect score.

I am pleased you enjoyed our breakfasts, our team was friendly and the cleanliness of your room was highly rated as well- all of these I believe are pillars of good hotel stay; thank you for letting me know about them.

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Always stay here when coming to Melbourne for a few nights.

Reasonably priced and right in the CBD with all the restaurants you could want right across the road.

Imax theatre a 5 minute walk away and Vic market very close too.

Great place and on the top of my list for places to stay in Melbourne.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lachlan T,

Thank you for your review and it was good to read you found us competitively priced in such a good location.

We look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

My daughter and I had an excellent stay recently. Both of our rooms could not be faulted. Staff were first rate. They were always efficient and pleasant and could not have been more helpful - even to volunteering to lend us an umbrella on a damp morning. Breakfast in the hotel was very good, and was always served promptly without any impact on quality. The Lygon Street area offers a selection of great restaurants, and the centre of Melbourne is an easy walk or a quick tram ride away. I noticed a negative comment about the WiFi. However, I always found it to be excellent.

Room Tip: My daughter and I had rooms in different parts of the hotel were of equal quality.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear John O,

Thanks so much for the perfect score, I am pleased everything was to your liking.

Our breakfasts are a real point of difference for us and few hotels can match the consistency of a plated breakfast with such a quick turnaround - thank you for your endorsement.

Our WIFI is another point of difference and offering it as a complimentary service is something I believe more hotels should do.

Please be our guest again soon.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

My daughter and I had a weekend away and stayed at the Downtowner. Best location, right in the middle of the best eating places in Melbourne, great shopping, close to Theatres and with a staff who obviously love their job. Our room was beautiful, and even though we were right on the street there was no road noise. We would highly recommend the Downtowner on Lygon for a girls weekend away. Thank You to the staff.

Room Tip: Having stayed here three times we would recommend all rooms
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear ValnMel,

Thanks for the perfect score, I am so pleased we could give your daughter and yourself a great weekend out in great part of our town.

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I were looking at staying in Melbourne for a week to visit family and explore what the city has to offer. It was important to be close to the CBD and have a comfortable place to retreat to after a long day.

After staying with Choice Quality hotels in the past our decision was easy. The best thing about Downtowner on Lygon was the location. The hotel was at the start of Lygon street where we could walk a minute to all the local restaurants. Be aware that not all restaurants are all too great for what they are priced at so be sure to look around and read reviews before hand. There are a few that you cannot miss though.

As well as the restaurants on Lygon, there were typical small shops, an IGA and if you're wanting to walk further there's a shopping center with a Woolworths, medical clinic, Brunetti's and several other stores. Having stayed where we were, we could avoid making the trip to Melbourne central during rush hour to grab a couple of things.

The hotel itself was very accommodating. The front reception area was warmly lit and as soon as you walk through the door you feel at home. Downtowner staff were lovely and most had real personalities. I appreciate the staff who were laid back and friendly. They were happy to answer any questions and fulfil my request to borrow a couple of bowls with spoons for breakfast.

I probably wouldn't be looking at eating within the hotel. Breakfast was apparently $30 straight up which was offered to us upon checkin for $20 which I didn't appreciate. It's nice that the service is there and it could have been positioned a little better than "would you like fries with that" up sell. For whatever reason too, upon checkout we were quietly quoted $20 for parking when we had not even mentioned using the carpark for our visit in which we hadn't.

A word of advice: just listen closely to what the receptionist charges you for upon leaving.

Other than that, we were offered help with our luggage and we were given the wifi password for free however the Internet was the slowest I've used since the 90s. I just resorted to using my phone's 4G.

We stayed in a King Spa room which we got for an exceptional price over 5 nights.

The room was clean although was starting to show it's age. The air conditioner was pretty loud, however it did a solid job of keeping the room warm. The shower was pretty decent for a water saver and the 'spa' was just a bath with a few jets. Other than that, the room came with a small bar fridge and tea making facilities. Like mentioned before, it would be wise to bring disposable bowls and cutlery if you plan on eating cereal or whatever in your room to save a little money here and there or better still, just ask reception to lend some from the restaurant. The TV had maybe 5 channels on top of what you usually get free to air.

The king bed was simply 2 singles pushed together however they didn't bother us as it wasn't too noticeable. As some reviewers have noted, there's a fair bit of noise if you are staying on the street side of the hotel. Windows didn't block out much noise on the street as well as to the corridor where we could hear people walking past our room clear as day. We kept the bathroom door closed and we slept just fine. If you are a light sleeper, I'd recommend NOT choosing a room facing the street. House cleaning was brilliant. I found they went out of their way multiple times and were very flexible.

Again, the location was great. A couple of blocks West and you'd be on the tram line. As far as making it back to Southern Cross station, the taxi is hands down the best way to go. The train wasn't really much of an option to us. The carpark looked spacious and there was bar built into the hotel however guests really didn't benefit in visiting as pricing was the same for everyone.

All in all a brilliant stay. It's all you could want for the price point. I'm looking forward to seeing refurbishments and staying with Downtowner on Lygon in the future

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reticent91

Dear Reticient91,

WOW! That is a detailed review with some very keen insights into our hotel.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts, and it good to know that you had other good experiences with hotels in our franchise. Our location is awesome for all things Melbourne; you mention easy access to Lygon street restaurants, but attractions like Queen Vic market, Old Gaol, Museum and Exhibition buildings are all only 5 minute walks away too.

You also highlighted our team, and this means so much too me- our focus on the individual rather than "cookie-cutter" customer service is what I believe sets us apart.. our team is recruited and trained to put their own personalities and styles into their approach to our guests.

Our food service is a very high standard, and I can recommend the breakfast especially- I am sorry it was put across as an up sell, it is actually a special reduced rate only our in house guests are given. I will address the communication of this with the team. I am also sorry the in house guest bar special wasn't mentioned to you- complimentary tasting plate from our restaurant menu if you show the bar tender your key card!

I appreciate your comments about our bedrooms too, and am pleased that you found the standard of housekeeping to be good.

I am pleased too that you had a brilliant stay and look forward to you next visit.

General manager

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

It was my first visit to Melbourne and I must say that when I do come back I would definitely stay at your hotel again and again. The room we stayed in was very comfortable and very clean. The staff were all very friendly and would do anything to make your stay comfortable. The breakfast was the best I've had in a hotel environment and the cooked breakfast was made to order. The location was absolutely fantastic and was perfect. I highly recommend this hotel to all my friends and family who will be traveling to Melbourne. Thank you very much to all you staff and I can not wait to visit Melbourne again and to stay at your hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jobert B,

I was especially pleased you found our breakfast to be the best you had in a hotel environment. Doing all hot food to order really does make a difference in a quality offering- most hotels cant do this because of volume and time constraints.

Please try our dinner menus or a beverage in Lygon Lounge Cocktail bar on your next stay.