“Great Location”

GreenLeadersGold level
Brisbane, Australia
“Great Location”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband booked this Hotel and the location to Lygon Street cafes was amazing the tram only a short walk away.Good value hotel if going to the theatre which was the reason for choosing this hotel. The staff were very friendly and helpful and allowed us to have a late check out as well.
Good price and location.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dear Sheree H,

Thanks for your review. I will pass on your comments to the team.

Kevin Birchall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Overall my stay at the Downtowner was great.

The location is just excellent - an easy walk to Fitzroy and Collingwood, Lygon St cafes and restaurants, the CBD, Carlton Gardens, Queen Victoria Markets, etc.

My room (executive suite, room 111) was a corner room - quite spacious, neat, clean and comfortable (especially the bed). There was lots of storage space and the bathroom in particular was big for an inner city hotel. The wifi is free (thank god) and the TV has some basic cable channels (although my partner was disappointed there was no Fox Footy in a Melbourne hotel).

The desk staff were very polite and helpful, particularly Olivia who helped me with printing some concert tickets and answering my questions about the best way to get to places.

A couple of little niggles - the sound-proofing of the windows against the traffic intersection noise from outside could be better, the bathroom mirror light was not working, bathroom tap badly needed a new washer - but these were pretty minor issues and overall I was very happy with my stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LaurenA1
Dear LaurenA1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely detailed review.

The most pleasing aspect for me when reading it was that you found our team on the desk helpful, and it gave me a lot of pleasure to pass on your comments to Olivia specifically.

Our hotel does suffer a little from the hustle and bustle of Lygon street, and although all rooms are soundproofed and double glazed there can be some noise at the front of the building.

It was good to hear that you made use of our free WIFI, something all hotels should do in my opinion, and I take on board your partners suggestion to get Fox footy - we have recently reinvested with the Foxtel movie package.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope to see you on your next visit.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have just spent a week at the Downtowner and couldn't be happier with the level of service and friendliness of all the staff. We happened across the place as we were walking to check out another place further down Lygon St - I'm so pleased we stopped.
The proximity to everything meant we could ditch the hire car and walk everywhere. CBD, Vic Markets, museum, old goal, free city loop tram, Nova cinema... we ate most nights somewhere along Lygon St - so much food!
As we were leaving the girl on reception checked us in with our flights back home, printed the tickets and organized a shuttle bus to the airpirt, let us leave our luggage - mostly without us even asking - she sorted it all out within a couple of minutes.
Oh! And the bed was incredibly comfortable :-) We will be next time we are in Melbourne.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LucaRain
Dear LucaRain,

Thanks for your fantastic review.We are really pleased you stopped in too!

I am pleased you made the most of great location and the easy 5-10 minute walk will get you to many of the top Melbourne attractions.

i am also pleased my team went above and beyond to assist you and ensure you got off safely.

Come and stay again soon.

Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 26 July 2014

What a people and a hotel! The staff are very friendly and understanding. I arrived on July 18th 2014 and stayed up to 27th. I found the bed comfortable and the room was always kept very neat.

On the day of departure the Hotel surprised me and my team. We were given a flexible checkout time much later than the usual, to stay on, relax and fly later in the day at 9pm to Dubai (a flight of about 13 hours). This was very helpful for us. We will certainly choose this hotel again anytime we are in Melbourne.

Room Tip: I find the higher floors quieter.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Franklin A
Dear Franklin A,

I am really pleased my team were able to look after you with a flexible late checkout. I was happy to read that we looked after you consistently well though out the 10 days you were with us.

We look forward to your next visit.

Singapore
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed for 2 nights for my visit to Melbourne. We arrived late at night but check-in was prompt and efficient. We had a room for three, and the bed was comfortable although the sofa bed was a little springy. It is convenient if you want to explore the city, as it is walkable to the Old Melbourne Gaol (Jail museum), State Library, Queen Victoria Market, Flinders' Station etc. The basic breakfast costed $10, which include really minimal fare (bread and cereals), and $20 (if I'm not wrong) for hot breakfast (eggs etc). The location is excellent for dining in Lygon St. Parking cost $10 a day, which is rather affordable, especially in the city. Wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BelindaL_17
Dear Choroki,

I was pleased to read that you found us convenient walking distrance from some great Melbourne attractions.

Thanks for your review.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is a good choice if you want a clean hotel near the CBD. The bed was very comfortable and I loved the large plush towels. The place is a bit noise due to the homage of early 1970's architect but I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the stairwell/elevator
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tammy W
Dear Tammy W,

Thanks for your review, please come and stay again.

Ballarat
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I always look forward to my business trips to Melbourne for usually one reason.. Staying here! The Downtowner is a great place to stay! The rooms are very homey and comfortable! The staff are friendly and willing to answer your questions all the time! The wireless internet is very fast!! On a Friday night it is a little loud because of the noise coming from the Lygon street pubs but otherwise it is quiet. Always accommodating (pardon the pun) to your changes. I arrived here a little early unexpectedly and they still let my go to my room, even with a bit of reorganising! Great quality! Thanks! Looking forward to my next visit!

Stayed July 2014
Dear tippy_ toes_1234,

Thanks for your review.

For taking the time to give us your feedback, I would like to offer a free upgrade on your next stay, please contact me directly to book this for you.

General manager