“Quite good”

GreenLeadersGold level
Penang
“Quite good”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Hotel service is ok. Location is superb.Restaurants, supermarkets and tram stations are within walking distance. I would have expected free hotel breakfast for the price we paid .Room is clean but bit dusty. Overall a good hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Dear Meelin S,

Thank you for your review.

Please contact me when you book your next stay as I would like to offer you a complimentary room upgrade for taking the time to let us know your thoughts.

General manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Location- perfect for getting to main stream restaurants and downtown CBD. Rooms were of a good size, only niggle was the firmness of the bed and a very bright light outside our bathroom.
I did inform reception about my partners b/day when I booked and she was greeted with a lovely box of special chocolates. All the staff in the reception, bar and restaurant were brilliant.
I totally recommend it but be aware even tucked down the side towards the back will incur some road noise BUT welcome to downtown Melbourne!

Room Tip: Talk to the staff and advise them of your needs, don't just book online and expect the best.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Iseater,

Thanks for your feedback, and I appreciate your comments in relation to the team acknowledging your wife birthday.

I think your advise is good too- talk to us so we can assist with the best possible rates and to make your stay personable.

Please contact me when you next stay, as I would like to offer a complimentary upgrade for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Room was spotless. Very motel vibe, but in a good way. Staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. Location was also handy - within walking distance of the shopping centre and restaurants.

I'd suggest making the bottled water complimentary rather than $3. Would definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Leonard B,

Thanks for your review and comment on our friendly team.

Please come and stay with us again soon, and on your next visit please book with us directly as I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade for giving us your feedback.

General manager
Colac, Australia
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Stayed recently with the family, room was comfortable, clean and perfect for our family. We stayed in the family adjoining room with lockable balcony, a great option, allowing both the kids and the parents some space although we were still altogether.

Room Tip: Car park is tight when busy, if you have a smaller vehicle option use it..
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank downunderdelos
Dear downunderdelos,

I appreciate your endorsement of our family rooms, they are great way for the entire family to be together but with the space apart when needed.

Please let me know when you are coming back again if you have a larger vehicle, we have some spots in the car park that are slightly larger.

I would like to offer you a complimentary parking for your feedback as well.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

The only good thing...it is wonderful Carlton...with it's buzz of interesting shopping and eateries.
However, this once ideal motel for years...the Downtowner, has turned into a money hungry, rude and noisy stay.
The paper thin walls and ceilings..mean not only do you hear the rooms either side watching tv or moving in bed and flushing the toilets...you hear the floor above you moving around...and the street noise of revellers from Lygon Street...just adds to the 'surround-noise' that a room at this motel amplifies!
The motel has a car park...in fact, it was the reason I booked the place.
But, this motel does not tell you there is a parking charge of $20.00 per day for the use of the parking...they only tell you in booking out.
Then, they become all defensive and downright rude!
PLUS...they accept so many vehicles into this space that your vehicle will be blocked in...then you have to wait until the motel staff decide to have a vehicle removed for you to get out.
Surely, there must be local Council rules against such double and triple parking...just to grab more dollars!
Breakfast is $30.00 per person...but if you book into this option when booking in...hey, there is a discount!!!
The fact is...this once friendly, convenient well located spot has changed...give it a big miss to get them to wake up or to go broke!
The street one back off Lygon Street is Drummond Street...it is a lot quieter...very little traffic and I noticed a number of motel sites with under cover car parking.
Do yourself a favour...at least check them out before the Downtowner!!!

Room Tip: Give it a miss!!! Check out others...they may even be friendly!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Terry W
Kevin B, General Manager at Quality Hotel Downtowner on Lygon, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Terry W,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadviser, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and I appreciate the time you took to let me know your concerns.

I agree with your comments regarding the noise factor, and the rooms along the front of the hotel do get impacted significantly from the festivities of Lygon Street; I suppose it is the downside to being in wonderful Carlton with the buzz of the local eateries.

I am sorry you felt the car parking should be free, but I am sure you can appreciate that providing this service in the city has a cost, and while we try to keep this down (many of our competing hotels charge in excess of $50/night), a small fee has become necessary.

We only do the valet parking of cars to try an accommodate as many of our overnight guests as possible- I am sorry you did not see this as the case; far from being a "money grabbing" exercise it allows us to extend this service to as many people as possible. We also ensure parking cost is communicated to all our guests, and I am sorry if this was not done in your case, however on your booking site Agoda it does clearly state a $20AUD charge for parking.

I am also sorry you did not like the $10 discount on our breakfast available only to our resident customers. It is another way we try to give a money back offer or least a saving to our guests. It is easy enough for our guests, just to say "no thanks", but the offer is there for those that would like it.

I take on board your comments and would welcome the opportunity to discuss them further with you directly if there is more I can do to correct our service in you opinion.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Even though I am from Melbourne, for some business commitment, my wife and I decided to spend one night around CBD and it happened to be this place.
There is no doubt that the location is perfect if you love your food and Lygon street wouldn't let you down.
Rooms on the other hand is not impressive at all! very average furniture, poor layout, not impressive bathrooms (old), and in general I believe $ 180 to stay on Tuesday evening at this place was a pure waste of money.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ali E,

Thank you for your review and I am sorry you felt we did not offer value for money.

We are in the process of updating all our rooms inventory, and to date have completed 20% of the bedrooms.

If you are willing to give us another try, please contact me directly for your next stay, as I would like to offer a complimentary upgrade for taking the time to let me know your thoughts.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our short stay at this gem on Lygon Street. As we were attending a birthday celebration close by we decide not to take a fairly long drive home - good decision! The staff could not have been more polite and helpful, our room was very comfortable, the breakfast was fantastic and to cap it off, after we checked out we were able to leave our car in the car park while we explored Lygon Street and surrounds. We would definitely chose this hotel for future visits to Melbourne. Great value for money!

Room Tip: Haven't stayed in all the rooms but 224 was great!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maree W
Dear Maree W,

I am so pleased you enjoyed our breakfast - it is was one of our hallmarks and I believe one of the best breakfast offerings around.

On your next visit, please book with us directly as we would love to offer you a complimentary room upgrade for letting us know your thoughts.