“Great hotel!”

Ranked #106 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Hobart, Australia
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stayed two nights at the Travel Inn and found it to be welcoming, elegant, exceptionally clean and a brilliant location. The staff were very friendly and efficient and went the extra mile to be helpful.
The room was everything I needed (with a really comfortable bed) but sadly I didn't have time to enjoy the lovely pool. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel and will definitely be returning next time I am in Melbourne.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed for just one night for business, my workshop was at Melbourne Uni so this hotel was close. I booked an Executive room which (in capitals) indicated for the extra cost, on the booking information, that the room had superior furnishings, massage shower head, LCD TV etc. when I got to the room, it had a very small window looking at another part of the hotel, the shower was the old fashioned version, nothing like a massage shower, but otherwise pretty standard. I called the reception to be told I had been allocated an a Executive room and they were full so she couldn't do anything but would let the manager know. The next morning the front office Manager was on and I asked if he had been informed that what was on their booking form (which I had shown the Reception lady the night before) was misleading and not correct. He just looked at me and said the room I had was bigger and better than their standard room. No-one apologised nor even seemed to care about my concerns. A shame when all I really wanted was acknowledgement and an indication that they would change what was on their online booking system, but nothing was forthcoming... Such a shame

Room Tip: Double check what the online booking says is actually there
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
darwin
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Booked accommodation here due to proximity to University of Melbourne.

First impression was good. Modernish decor and reasonable reception staff. However I was soon apprehensive. Two buses were parked at the front door and were unloading multitudes of visitors into the lobby. We couldn't get to the car park.

Once inside we inspected our room.101 -here's the tip - insist on moving.

This room was on the ground floor right near reception. The noise was horrendous. Crowds of ppl moving in and out of the lobby, shouting and carrying on. Not really what I thought I had paid for. I am grateful I had some earplugs in my bag. It made the two nights bearable.

You might be thinking - whiner!!!!! Why didn't you ask to move!!!!??? Well we did on check in, and was told after a glance at the computer screen - not possible.

Free secure parking is certainly great.

Proximity to UOM and food precinct is excellent.

Bed was comfortable. The room faced the street. I can't comment on st noise because as I said previously, I had ear plugs in to block noise within the building.

Block out curtains worked. No opening windows. Just ac running. That didn't bother us. May bother some.

Bathroom was very squishy. I know you don't sleep in the bathroom but it was tiny.

Breakfast from the in house restaurant was good. Fresh. Tasty. The two staff worked tirelessly to accommodate the full tables. Well done ladies.

Overall reasonable for the price and location but noise within the accommodation certainly detracted.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank trudiDarwin
Tim C, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Travel Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2014
Hello Trudy,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It was very alarming to hear that an alternative was not provided when you had expressed your concerns to our staff. Please be assured that I have addressed this issue with our staff. The information you have provided about room 101 really helps us improve our business. Room 101 will be taken offline very shortly so we can address the noise related issues.

Compliments about our delicious breakfast and our very comfortable beds are a regular occurrence here at The Travel Inn! It was lovely to hear that you enjoyed these attributes!

Again Trudy, really appreciate your feedback, if you find yourself needing accommodation in Melbourne, I would love for you to contact me directly in the first instance. I have a lot of faith in our team and our product, I believe we could change the bad impressions you had during your recent stay with us.

Very kind regards

Tim
tim@travelinn.net.au
Bryan, Texas
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We stayed here for the AU Grand Prix in March. The location is nice. It's near the University of Melbourne and Lygon street restaurants. The staff was friendly and courteous but not overly. The room was OK and was about as expected. The lighting is fluorescent so it doesn't cast the room in a great light but there is a window.

Housekeeping was dismal. It's practically impossible to get new towels. I have traveled extensively and it's pretty universal if one wants a new towel to leave the dirty one on the floor. Not here! Evidently it doesn't matter how overt the hint - housekeeping ignores it. It does not matter if you leave towels on the bathroom floor, the shower floor, or dangling from a chandelier. We'd return to find they'd hanged the same dirty towel back on the rack. I requested a new towel from a housekeeper in the hall. She nodded as though she understood but apparently she took my request to mean we'd like her to remove the shampoo from our bath. Some days they'd leave soap/shampoo other days nothing. They did not clean the shower at all.

We ate breakfast at the hotel which was satisfactory but inexplicably some days it's a buffet and some days one orders from a limited menu. We could not discern the pattern.

I'm not sure the staff is familiar with the area surrounding the hotel because their distance estimates were wildly askew. The hotel has an arrangement with the University of Melbourne gym where we went daily (very nice). When we asked how far to the gym we were given vague directions and told it was merely "five minute's walk". Realistically if one knew exactly where to go and timed every traffic light perfectly to avoid any waits it is conceivable that Usain Bolt would be able to sprint the distance in five minutes, but walking briskly, it took us 20 minutes each way (more the first day since we couldn't find it). When I casually told the person at reception that the gym was nice he nodded. I asked if he'd ever been - he admitted he had not. When I asked how far to the State Library (free WiFi there BTW) I was told "5 minutes". Daniel Ricciardo would be pressed to pilot his Formula 1 race car there in 5 minutes. Walking very quickly it took us at least 30. Even online maps estimates are too optimistic because there are so many cross street lights and traffic so allow extra time and ignore the staff's estimates.

As other reviewers have said the internet is perhaps the worst in the modern world. I'm certain the Flintstones had better service. Among the faults: it is expensive, they limit users to a single device, switching devices is a time-consuming PITA, it's terribly slow or broken frequently, the front desk is clueless about the internet problems and powerless to fix them (I was told to talk to the manager in a few days after it'd been down two days over the weekend), ISP tech support does not respond to emails or trouble-tickets, finally as if all that were not enough it's got a bandwidth cap so if you DL/UL photos you'll be over your cap in no time and then cut off.

There is a hotline for Taxis which we used and they arrived promptly.

Room Tip: if you get a room with a window to the pool the walkways go right past your room so there's more...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank AgJeff
Tim C, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Travel Inn Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2014
Greetings AgJeff,

Very upsetting that the experience you had with our housekeeping team was not up to standards. Please be assured that we have raised your concerns with our Executive Housekeeper who immediately reiterated our policies & procedures.

I am sorry that there was a miscommunication with yourself and a member of our Front Office team when you requested directions to The State Library.

I am very happy to advise that we are currently being connected to The National Broadband Network, all of our guests will be enjoying free Wi-Fi within the fortnight!

We are very thankful for your feedback AgJeff, any kind of feedback from our guests gives us the opportunity to improve the operation of The Travel Inn Hotel. I hope you had an amazing time at the Grand Prix and we hope to see you back here next year

Very kind regards

Tim C
Front Office Manager
tim@travelinn.net.au

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

While the room was very clean it was equally tiny. With a queen bed & a single there was barely space to get by each other ( only 2 of us) when getting ready for our night out. The bathroom supposedly had a 1.5 shower but was barely a standard size & the toilet was so close to the wall and the vanity you just about need to sit sideways! We were only there for one night so it was acceptable but wouldn't have enjoyed a longer stay. All other facilities met expectations

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Australia
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Staying here for a few nights, 3 days to go. Hope they are better than last night.
Awakened at 5AM by one of the staff in the pool area (overlooked by many rooms) bellowing into her mobile phone (why do people do that? Don't they understand that speaking so loudly doesn't help anyone?) awakening everyone that had rooms overlooking the pool.
It went on and on. And on. Very loudly.
You could hear people closing window all over the place. But she kept on yelling into her phone.
For $200 a night I would hope for a teensy bit of luxury (one threadbare towel doesn't cut it), a bit of courtesy (not that I have noticed) or, at the very least, a good night's sleep!
None to all three.
Will see if it happens tonight. lets be hopeful.

Room Tip: Don't overlook the pool - the staff go here to make (very noisy) phone calls in the middle of th...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank shadowshopperAUS
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We travelled with my best friend jonsi on a holiday. There room was small but clean and the rates are good. This hotel is located in a nice neighbourhood where Lygon St is just round the corner. staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends