“Good downtown hotel”

Melbourne Marriott Hotel
Ranked #11 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 24 December 2013

I've stayed in a few other hotels downtown Melbourne over the years, but as a Marriott Platinum Elite member, I thought I'd try the Melbourne Marriott for my recent five days stay.

The staff were very efficient and friendly throughout but check-in, as a Platinum Elite member, could have been better - no explanation my room had been upgraded, no explanation of the Executive Lounge (just handed a photocopied letter!), and worst still, my key wasn't activated to allow me to enter the Lounge!

My room was very nice and clean, and a decent size with separate wardrobe area (I think the hotel calls this a walk in wardrobe but it isn't!) and good bathroom (which had a great walk-in shower). The wardrobe was a decent size but as in a number of other Marriott hotels I've stayed at recently, there were little or no drawers for storage.

My room was right next to the Executive Lounge, so wasn't that quiet... a lot of "corridor noise" outside (especially children running from the elevators to the Lounge), the cleaner(s) hoovering the Lounge at 4 or 5 am, plus all to crockery, food etc. being taken to the Lounge for breakfast in the morning. The Lounge was nice, but a bit small, with a good breakfast and other snacks throughout the day.

The hotel is in a great location and it is easy to walk to most tourist, shopping and restaurant areas downtown Melbourne.

I struggle to class the hotel as 5 star as it does not compare to the Langham or Park Hyatt, but it was fine for what I wanted and I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Forthill81,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review outlining your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you enjoyed the size and cleanliness of the hotel. With regards to your check in process this has been noted and will be followed up with the team, this is not best practice so I do apologize.

You are right in saying that we are in a great location, close to all the major theaters and shopping, and I am glad you got to experience these close by attractions.

I do hope that you consider staying with us next time you visit Melbourne.

See you soon.

There are newer reviews for Melbourne Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 22 December 2013

My daughter and I spent 3 nights at the Marriott a week ago and loved every minute of it. The staff were so polite and couldn't do enough to help us and make our stay as enjoyable as possible. Rooms very clean and quiet , didn't hear any street noise. I have a bad back so always concerned how beds will be- was one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. Bathroom quite modern and very clean. Hotel in great position to city centre - 5 minute walk to city mall and 3 minute to nearest train station We both absolutely loved our stay at the Marriott and if we ever need somewhere to stay again in Melbourne it will be the Marriott.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Size10,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a detailed review following your recent experience with us here at the hotel.

I am so pleased to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay with us.

I do hope we see you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

We have had a great couple of days at the Melbourne Marriott. Arriving early on our first morning from an international flight we were greeted with efficient concierge service and a friendly receptionist. Our room was ready so we could shower and then have a coffee in the Exec Lounge before going out to explore the city.

The room was very well appointed and had plenty of hanging but limited drawer space. There was a large safe for laptop, passports, etc. The bathroom was well fitted with a nice large shower but no bathtub – not a problem for us as we prefer showers but it is noted that a number of new and refurbished Marriotts seem to be preferring the “shower only” option.

Breakfast in the Exec Lounge had a wide range of fruits, breads and hot and cold items and excellent coffee and juices. In the evening there were snacks and a good range of spirits, wine and beers as well as soft drinks.

We eat both evenings in the Hotel Restaurant and found the food and service was excellent. They could have done more to publicise the specials and with some meats off the menu it was quite a limited choice – but more than sufficient to cover us for our two evenings. Given this is Australia and eating in-hotel the prices were fair.

Checkout as concierge services on departure were equally as efficient as arrival.

In all an excellent stay and will come back if we return to Melbourne.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

Dear yhi904,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review following your recent experience with us here at the Melbourne Marriott.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the front office service and all of our food and beverage outlets.

I do hope to see you at Melbourne Marriott again soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Very disappointed. Toaster provided but no knife to butter toast. Booked and paid extra for 4 people, but only 2 glasses & 3 towels & 2 bathrobes provided, you do the maths. Had to fill the kettle from the ensuite, no kitchen sink, no microwave. On leaving the valet driver parked our brand new car (only 6 days old, & still on the first tank of fuel) illegally in a No Standing area protruding into the lane of traffic over bicycle lane. Clearly outside their designated valet parking area. Where we found our BRAND NEW car scratched on the rear right side. The Hotel staff wouldn't take ANY responsibility leaving us to fit the bill for the vehicles damage. What was meant to be a great family weekend in Melb with my daughters seeing Taylor Swift in concert on Sat and the plan was to do Xmas shopping on Sunday as a family, which never eventuated as we were all too upset, so drove 2 hrs back home. I will NEVER stay or recommend the Marriott Hotel to anyone!!! PLEASE PLEASE CHECK YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE YOU LEAVE & HOPE & PRAY THEY TAKE OWNERSHIP WHEN THEY CAUSE YOUR VEHICLE TO BE DAMAGED.

Room Tip: Valet parking - Check your vehicle on leaving for any damage and don't expect the Marriott to ta...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chez D
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Chez D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience. I understand that it must have been frustrating not having enough amenities in the room upon your arrival, so I apologize for this. This has been addressed with the team.

With regards to your car, I believe we have spoken to you directly regarding this matter. We communicated to you that we have reviewed our CCTV footage and found no signs of us being liable for the car damage if you would like to discuss this any further please do not hesistate to get in contact with me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

My partner and I recently splashed out for a Junior Suite at the Marriott, for a much needed relaxing weekend in the city.

The hotel itself is in a great location; a short walking distance to all bars, shops and cafes in the city. We had a very warm welcome upon arrival and the reception staff and concierge were extremely friendly and polite.

The room, however, was slightly disappointing. We've stayed in hotel suites before that have blown us away with privacy and comfort. This time the room was cold - we were unable to warm it up as there was only air conditioning in the room, no split system. The decor made us feel that we had been transported to the 1970's.

Overall, we had a good experience - we made the most out of being close to the city. We unfortunately didn't get a chance to try the hotel restaurant, but the food did look yummy. Next time we won't be paying extra for a suite as we didn't feel it was worth it. I cannot fault the service as all staff we dealt with were extremely pleasant.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2013

Dear Jem H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a very detailed review outlining your stay with us here at the Melbourne Marriott.

Very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the service from our staff.

I apologise for the heating not working during your stay, I can understand this would have been slightly uncomfortable due to the unpredicatable Melbourne weather. This has been noted and our engineers will check the room you stayed in.

I do hope that we get to welcome you and your partner back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 16 December 2013

From the booking right through to checkout the service was the best I have experienced from any establishment. The Hotel is luxurious and ticks all boxes although the professionalism and positive upbeat attitude of the staff is first class and makes me want to return. A massive thank you to J.C who is the happiest and most hard working employee I have ever encountered anywhere. Thanks Team Marriott for a great experience I will look no further when staying in Melbourne next!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank mayfin08

Dear Mayfin08,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an amazing review!

So glad you enjoyed the service that we provided, I will be sure to pass on your kind words to J.C he is one of our long serving employees and is a very valuable asset to the hotel!

Look forward to seeing you next time you stay with us.

Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel serves a great breakfast. Great meeting rooms. The staff are gracious and helpful. The pool is great. The rooms are large and the Internet connections are superb. Good location. Good walking distance to China town, museums, Greek restaurants, and shopping. Good access to buses and trained. Close to government buildings.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
MelbourneMarriott, Guest Relations Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear CFT99,

Thank you for your detailed contribution following your recent stay with us.

Sounds like you had a fantastic time exploring some of the many attractions that we have surrounding the hotel.

I do hope to see you at Melbourne Marriott again soon!