“Nice first stay.”

Melbourne Marriott Hotel
Ranked #11 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Stayed here on 5th February for one night with my husband to see Grease the Musical just up the street at Her Majesty's. This is our first stay and we chose it for the location. We booked a Premier Queen Room and we were given room 512. Our checkin was great starting with the Valet parking and then the checkin desk. We arrived early and were offered a room near the lift but we declined as we were in no hurry for our room, so we came back after our show to a room away from the lifts. Our room overlooked the pool and ok there is no spectacular view but the beautiful spacious room more than makes up for that. The room is very nicely furnished and the bed was comfortable with lovely sheets(we love that they make the bed with a top sheet many hotels in Melbourne don't). We loved the way that our suitcases are tucked in a seperate area that leads into the nicely equipped bathroom. Great to have a walk in shower and no bath, nice products etc in the bathroom. Airconditioning worked really well. Nice sized television. We found our room very quiet. We used the swimming pool and spa which was nice and clean, plenty of towels and very refreshing. We decided to have dinner in the restaurant Essence ordering the Pre Theatre menu of two courses we both had the steak for main then I had the Gelato and my husband had the sticky date pudding all delicious with friendly service. Checkout and picking up our car was all nice and quick and extremely friendly, we were made to feel like a valued guest. Loved the bag of lollies in our car too thankyou. Well done Marriot we will be returning.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anny65
MelbourneMarriott, General Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear Anny65,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay at the Melbourne Marriott.

It sounds like you and your husband had a fantastic stay, and got to enjoy the theaters which are very close by!

I will be sure to pass on your very positive and flattering comments to the team.

Look forward to welcoming you both back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Melbourne Marriott Hotel

Reviewed 4 February 2014

My wife, 6 year son and I stayed here for 2 nights in January 2014.

As a splurge for the end of our holiday, I booked a King Suite with a huge (and I mean huge) bedroom and separate lounge room. Having stayed at Marriott hotels all over the world I had high expectations and I was not disappointed.

Things started very well when I dropped my wife and son off at the hotel and went to return our hire car. When I got back my wife told me that the concierge had given her a glass of champagne and a small plate of chocolates while she was waiting! Very nice!

Check-in was handled very efficiently, and they confirmed there was a rollaway bed in the room for my son.

Our room was a corner suite on the second floor, overlooking the corner of Exhibition and Lonsdale Streets. I thought there would be traffic noise, but thanks to the triple glazed windows we heard nothing. The room itself was spotless and nicely furnished. As I mentioned above, the bedroom and lounge room were both huge, and the dressing room and bathroom were also a generous size.

The hotel also has a large swimming pool, and since Melbourne was having a heatwave when we were there we used it extensively! They provide towels for guests, and replenish them regularly.

Breakfast was buffet style in the restaurant and was excellent. A huge choice of food, and all of good quality. The service from the staff was also excellent.

All too quickly our holiday was over. We were very impressed with this hotel and its staff, and will definitely stay here again. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you can, get a King Suite. Well worth the money!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank NDAB

Dear NDAB,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review following your recent experience with us here at the Melbourne Marriott.

It sounds like you and your family had a terrific end to your holiday in one of our very spacious king suites!

I do hope that we see you all back at the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Pros/Likes:
- Check-in and out were fast and efficient
- Nice big room with comfortable bed
- Loved the retro décor, especially room chairs looked right out the 1950s, plus there were pictures from Melbourne in the 1950s in the room and hallways
- Excellent location near Chinatown with lots of places to eat and two blocks away from the free City Center tram
- Large flat-screen TV
- In-room coffee, safe deposit box, and robes
- Extra space in minibar for your own beverages
- Room had one multi-country electrical outlet adapter
- Sometimes there were local newspapers in the lobby
- Two PCs in the lobby, including free internet access
- Free in-room wi-fi though fee for faster service (free was fine for me)
- Nice friendly staff

Cons/Dislikes:
- Air conditioner sometimes did not cool enough
- Average size bathroom with dreaded half-plexiglass divider so floor gets wet when taking a shower

Neutral:
- Had lunch in the restaurant once; menu was basic and food was ok but expensive, including $30 for Australian breakfast

Miscellaneous:
- Small gym but had basic machines and weights
- Pool, jacuzzi, and coed sauna
- No in-house spa

Impression:
Nice stay in a good location

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
MelbourneMarriott, Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear MBWorldTraveller,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a detailed response on Tripadvisor following your recent experience with us here at Melbourne Marriott.

Firstly let me apologize for the air con not working on occasions, we have since had our engineering inspect your room to rectify this issue.

It sounds like overall you had a pleasant experience with us and got to enjoy many of the amenities and services provided by the hotel.

I do hope that we get to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

After regularly staying in Marriott hotels in the US, I was expecting a high standard of service. I was very wrong. It’s not so much that there was a single shocking piece of service, but more a litany of general incompetence. I stayed here for two nights with my partner to watch the last two nights of the tennis. I won’t go back, ever. I gave it a 2 rating, as a few staff were polite.
- The room was a bit dirty, with crumbs over the table
- The first night we had a call at 11.30pm from the concierge about a trip we hadn't enquired about
- Breakfast in the ‘executive lounge’ was cold and the ‘executive lounge’ is a pokey room on the 9th floor
- After returning from the tennis we asked for a club sandwich at 11.02pm. “Kitchen closes at 11, chefs gone home, it’s been a quiet night” was the unhelpful response.

So far, we just thought it was a bit crap, especially for a supposedly 5 star hotel, Ha! The next morning we decided to have breakfast downstairs, as it looked nicer. (It was, it’s actually quite good), except they spoilt it by spilling boiling tea on my bare leg. Ouch.

So to checkout, where I was surprised to find that they charged an extra $70 for breakfast. (Breakfast was included in the room when we paid in advance). Their reasoning was that breakfast is only included if you have it in the ‘executive lounge’. They don’t say on check-in or on entry to the breakfast area. Apparently it’s on the 8th line of a piece of paper they give you on check-in. I felt like I was at a budget hotel that was ripping me off.

Did you care or were you understanding? No.

Sort it out Marriott.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Alison P
MelbourneMarriott, Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Leanna,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a tripadvisor response and share your experience with us. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future.

If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at te hotel. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

For what we got was amazing and felt very spoilt.
We had a couple of hick ups and the staff were able to accommodate for us.
We were there for a nice weekend away and really that is what we got. Thank you so much to the staff especially Matthew (nz) at the front desk for checking us in and fixing the swipe card, Hailey our evening hostess in the executive lounge for the two nights, Sofie for being lovely for morning breakfast hostess even with having a sleep deprived hang over, concierge Ben who brought us our bags when we arrived and late night dinner which was amazing after an awesome night out for the symphonic orchestra. For housekeeping making our beds and keeping our room tidy and clean on our return.
Lucky last Jason on our check out for making it friendly quick and easy. Ps Jason don't forget adriano zumbo lol.

It was really nice when we come back late Saturday night to have our bed turned down with nice little snack to end the night.
All these little things count.

Melbourne has so much to offer for weekend.

Would love to do it again in the near future.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
MelbourneMarriott, General Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear Liz C,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a flattering response following your recent stay with us here at the hotel.

It sounds like you got to know our staff very well and had a fantastic weekend with us! I am so pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay.

We look forward to welcoming you and your partners back to the hotel when you next need a weekend get away!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

This is an average Marriott hotel with very good service. Our room was nice and clean. I think this was my first trip that a bellman said you don't need to tip me for bring our luggage down from the room to a taxi. Before traveling I asked Anthony Chief Concierge at the hotel to get me tickets for the tennis and unseen by us until arrival the seats were second (B) roll sideline. All the guest were so nice to be around, at the lounge we had many conversations about our home town (Vegas) and where other were visiting from. Richard was a staff member in the lounge that took the time to explain places we had to visit, this made our daily plans a little easier. There was not a problem with our stay unless we talk about two days of record breaking heat, unbelievable! Great hotel staff!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the main street or you may be looking at the wall of a building. We had a room...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
MelbourneMarriott, Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

Dear Marcellus J,

Thank you very much taking the time to write a review following your recent stay with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoted at you enjoyed the tennis, sounds like you had a fantastic time whilst visiting Melbourne and staying out our hotel.

I do hope that we get to welcome you both back again soon.

Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Far from marriott standards and service. Rooms felt dirty and looked worn. Overall disappoints.

Staff make an effort after complaints, but doesn't change experience.

Good location for walking and near great food and bars. Check out Melbourne Supper Club nearby or food in Chinatown. Also, walkable or short cab to the Vic market - check times.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank NYCtravelinman

Dear NYCtravelinman,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and share your experience.

You indicated in your response that the rooms were unsatisfactory and service received was not up to standard. Please accept our sincere apologies for this. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so that we can ensure you have an exceptional experience on your next visit.

You’re a valued customer; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. We would like to regain your trust and hope to serve you again in the future. Please do get in contact with me when making your next reservation.

I do hope that we can welcome you back in the future, and make for a more pleasant experience.