“Can't believe it's a Marriott ”

Melbourne Marriott Hotel
Ranked #8 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
“Can't believe it's a Marriott ”
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

Location is great, close to all the great food and shops. Room size is ok, but the whole hotel is really old. Tea spoons weren't washed even. Still carrying coffee stains from previous guest. Beds are so soft and not comfy. Not matching the brand of Marriott at all. Will consider elsewhere next time.

Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Dorothy X

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Large room with nice furnishings, including a very comfortable bed. Room was very quiet. The gym was adequate but showing some signs of age ( it was leaking a bit due to rain). Buffet breakfast range was good and included omelettes made to order which were really nice. Service was very efficient and there was a never a wait but not very accommodating with early check ins. Great central location. All good things but comes with a high price tag!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Booked this as a 'mystery hotel' on last minute website. We had an excellent one night stay. The hotel is very well located, walking distance to all Melbourne CBD attractions. Room was spotless, very spacious, all the luxuries you would expect. Customer service was excellent. Highly recommend this to any visitor to Melbourne.

Room Tip: Ask for a city view room
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 June 2014

The Melbourne Marriott is an extremely pleasant and comfortable establishment. Excellent service from concierge staff to front desk greeting and welcome drinks on arrival. Beautiful and extensive breakfast buffet and a very pleasant dining experiences at other times including great coffee and snacks for those in between "hungries" Very pleasant and comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: All rooms are very good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Having traveled extensively in region staying exclusively at Marriott properties for business, and knowing this Marriott was a category 8 we expected a lot. Upon arrival, we were given the standard upgrade as a platinum to the exec level but were immediately asked if we wanted to pay for an upgrade - anywhere between $50-100 to get a king bed and a suite. Now I've never been asked to upgrade for a price at any Marriott, and in fact, every Marriott I've stayed at has been so generous to give the great upgrade to the suite if they have it and not be so profit hungry as to ask a Platinum member to shell out additional $'s to pay for an upgrade, so a bit of a negative to start. Don't try to sell an upgrade, poor form especially for a category 8 hotel.

The rooms are dated, and daily cleaning needs more attention - mold around the bathroom fixtures could be easily removed.

The complimentary breakfast in the lounge we found lacking, and cold (rubbery fried eggs and wet scrambeled eggs) - if you went up later in the morning, and not to the same standard as other Marriotts, and no option to dine at the buffet at the restaurant as most Marriott's honor. For such a foodie city like Melbourne, you could go out on the street and find a far better spread for not a ton of $.

What we did like about this Marriott was the location, very central, and walkable distance to great restaurants like Cumulus, Chin Chin, Trunk, and of course to the MCG on the weekend to see the footy... all just a quick walk from the door which was great.

The Platinum arrival gift of the cheese platter and bottle of wine was superb. And a glass of bubbly as you check in. As was the evening snacks and drinks in the exec lounge. The woman at the lounge the 7 nights we were there was very friendly and helpful.

The only other comment I'd make - I used the hotel transport for work each day, and it's rather inconvenient. My company would communicate any changes the day prior, and if you didn't make the change more than 24 hours they put the charge on the bill. The hotel removed two charges that were not for service - but I got an earful from the driver on the way to the airport about how I should have notified them earlier. Not cool. My company travel was interfacing with the hotel to book the driving, communicate with them, don't complain to your customer. Next time I'll just cab it, easier and more customer friendly/flexible.

Overall, just an OK Marriott, and if I compared against other properties at a 6-8 level category this property ranks below.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Flashpacker08
MelbourneMarriott, Director of Operations at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Flashpacker08,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the tripadvisor response and sharing your experience with us. I apologize that your recent stay was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued Marriott guest; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. I have shared your feeback with the team and corrective action will be taken as required.
If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Harry Singh
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We had a nice stay here. The beds are incredibly comfortable. Reasonable size room with a good size bathroom. Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Close to Chinatown and theatres. A 1km walk down to Flinders St station so it's a good centrally located hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in the Marriott Hotel. Yes I bought a deal from Wotif, but I strongly suggest the Marriott stop offering deals on that site if they have no intention of honouring them. Two hours before I was supposed to check in I got an phonecall saying they were full and they were bumping me to the InterContinental. He assured me all the facilities would be the same. I got there at the time I told him I would and the room was not ready. 45 minutes later I am shown to my room. It is tiny and the bathroom doesn't have a bath, just a disabled shower. This is not what I was promised on my booking on Wotif.
It is not like the deal I bought was particularly cheap, and I dont treat myself to a hotel room very often, in fact never. The one time I did it was totally spoilt by the Marriott Hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank meme780000
MelbourneMarriott, Director of Sales at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Meme7800000,
Thank you for taking the time to complete the tripadvisor response and sharing your experience with us. I apologize that your booking was not able to be hosted at the Melbourne Marriott and that you found the alternative accomodation unsatisfactory. It would be our great pleasure to invite you back to experience the true hospitality of the Melbourne Marriott hotel. Please do contact me to organize a date suitable for you.

Regards