“late night” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“late night”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Marriot Melbourne was a very nice hotel perfectly located to visit theatre.
We arrived very late as all aircraft had been delayed across the nation due to a power disruption in Sydney. We must have been the last guests to arrive as we seem to have gotten the last room at the inn.
When I got my booking confirmation out & checked - it did say lovely city views - I thort maybe I had imagined it.... when I opened the curtains to see a massive brick wall @ $450 per night for 2 nights.....Not happening
So I too my paper with me - and approached reception saying I wasn't happy with the room as I was promised a "city - view". The lady was not happy, and said that was the only room left.
I told her I don't want it - i want what I booked - a room with city views.
A man interjected and offered to take me to another room with views.
When we arrived and opened the door - Bang - INSTANT - FRESH PAINT - HEADACHE.
I walked one step in & then straight out.
Back to reception - an amount of wells & wont's, & eventually got upgraded to a suite.
Now we had a lounge room and a bedroom. No Smell & a lovely city view!!
The rest of our stay was wonderful & the staff in the corporate lounge were very attentive.
I would stay here again if I was attending the theatre; but always make sure you get what you pay for.......

• 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Surprise birthday cake for him, stayed for two nights . First night was great but the only problem was that the phone in our room was not working and we had to go downstairs to order room service and the duty manager tried to fix it but instead of changing our room , he ask me my mobile number and if there is anything I needed to call from my phone to the hotel operator, it was shocking for a four star property to not resolve the problem as we were staying for two nights and our room was not service during the day our bin was full. We had to call them to get our room service we didn't had any do not disturb sign on our door .we stayed their twice the first stay was great but the second one was not for it was disappointed as it was a birthday surprise gift for.my partner who loved his first stay at that hotel.

Restaurant staff was awesome. The reception manager was useless to ask me to call from my mobile if I needed anything .

We love marriott property as it is close to the club we use to go and restaurant places. We hoped we would come back in the near future.

Room Tip: Courtyard room style very nice
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
      Location
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MelbourneMarriott, Director of Operations at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 20 July 2014
Dear cris1403,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the Tripadvisor response and sharing your experience with us. I apologize that your stay in 2013 was not satisfactory and appreciate your feedback.

You’re a valued guest; everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience. I have shared your feeback with the team and corrective action will be taken as required.
If you would like to discuss your experience further, please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. Once again, please accept my apology. We would like to regain your trust and we hope you will allow us an opportunity to provide you with an exceptional guest experience when your travels bring you back to this area.

Harry Singh
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while delivering training in Melbourne. The staff is excellent and took care of us (my wife came on this trip). She mentioned that it was her birthday and the hotel brought Champagne and chocolates up for her! Love the way the folks look after you...

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We've stayed here twice. We've decided to stay here every 12 weeks actuallly... just for a break from the kids. First time we upgraded to a King room which was seriously luxurious and we were really impressed by the location, room and the breakfast! This time we upgraded to an executive level room and were able to access the executive lounge. It was lovely. Delicious canopes, drinks, coffee, tea, any time of day, breakfast and desserts later in the evenings. Next stay we'll do the same again. It was a lovely stay. Also, the staff were seriously impressive. A hand written note from concierge telling us to have a lovely break from the kids and accompanied by chocolates and wine. Also a complimentary late check out and parking made it all feel very much worth the price. We love it.

Room Tip: executive level.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

My daughter (age 7) and I chose this hotel as a wotif mystery deal as we required a hotel in close proximity to the theatre district in Melbourne. What a wonderful choice we made!
From the moment our cab pulled up at the kerb side and we were met by the concierge our wonderful experience started.
Check in was smooth and easy. My daughter requested a room "as close to the top as possible" and we were moved to a room on level 10! Every member of staff that we spoke to or walked past was friendly and courteous. The staff in the restaurant / cafe remembered us and made special fuss of my daughter. The concierge was marvellous.
The room was clean, fresh and modern.
I travel frequently and can not recall having a better experience than this stay at the Marriott Melbourne. Not only will I stay at the Marriott Melbourne again, I will be searching out other Marriott hotels in other areas and staying in those hotels too.
Other hotels should learn from the way the Marriott Melbourne operates so far as I am concerned they set the standard as to how a five star hotel should operate.
Thank you for making our mum/daughter weekend in Melbourne all the more special.

Cleanliness
Terrigal, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

The worst experience I have ever had!
The first night we arrived and went to our room we opened our our curtains and there was a dirty wall and an ugly gym across from our window. I complained about this as I did not pay $300 a night to see a wall. We was told we was upgraded at no charge but when we entered the next room, it was exactly the same as the other but just 2 floors up.. Not what I was expecting from a so called 5 star hotel??? The next day we left our hotel room for most of the day and we returned about 3 pm and our room was a mess, they had not made our beds, there was no fresh towels and when I complained about this, there answer was. It's the weekend. I was appalled with the service and disappointed about the state of our room and there is no view whatsoever. I had to leave with my family that night because the accommodation was not suitable and defiantly not at a 5 star lever. I would not even give it a 2 star. I have stayed in many hotels with less stars and had a better experience. It is not worth $300 a night and I would not recommend this

5 Thank Phillip S
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed two nights, perfect, wine and champers and chocolates on arrival!!!! Gym great, clean towels, apples, pool has toys for the kids to play with, rooms clean, breakfast buffet great for the picky kids , lots of choices, self serve pancake maker a hit! Will stay again!

Room Tip: We had two adults and two kids and we got the one room with two double beds to save money and it was...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends