“Won't be Back”

Ranked #10 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“Won't be Back”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Very disappointing. The hotel is shabby and run down. The rooms were really old and not overly comfortable. This might be a 5 star hotel but it is a low end 5 star.

The concierge service was excellent and overall the service was good. The food from room service was dreadful and very expensive and the hot chocolate I had in the cafe on the ground floor was the worst I have ever had.

It's close to the theatres and China town but that's the only benefit.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank tuesdayjones
MelbourneMarriott, General Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Tuesdayjones,
I was most concerned to read your TripAdvisor posting and I am very sorry that we did not come up to your expectations.
On a brighter note however I will pass on your appreciation to our team, especially concierge.
With kind regards,
General Manage
Melbourne Marriott Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Arrived on a Friday afternoon and was greeted by a most delightful member of staff, she organised our bags and led us to the reception. Check in was smooth.We had a short wait till our room was ready, in this time the staff were so attentive offering wine and soft drink. Our beds were comfortable and the room itself had all that we required. Couple of negatives with regards to the room were when you walked in and opened the blind the windows were extremely dirty not good for a first glimse into the city. The second which has been complained about here previously was the air conditioner and yep it was NOISY. The gym, pool, and spa were great, maybe in need of a little makeover but we enjoyed the soak at the end of a busy day. The main reason for our trip to Melb was for a footy game at the MCG, (which our team won) when we arrived back to our room we were suprised with a note from a staff member saying he hoped we enjoyed seeing our team, couple of boutique beers in an ice bucket and some chocolates.As I have said before the staff are this hotels assets. Only problem we encountered was on check in I was told breakfast was included for the three of us, we did have breakfast each morning but was suprised to see the charge on our account. We did question staff on departure and they advised it was in fact not included and at $90 plus each morning it was expensive. I might add they did come to the party in some way and only charged us for breakfast one day. All in all we had an amazing couple of days. A huge "Thank You" to the staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Deb W
Dear Deb W,

Thank you so much for your review. It was very informative and I really appreciated your feedback.
Please be assured that we do have the windows cleaned regularly but it just takes dusty wind then the odd shower and they look just as bad. Heavy rain however does help! I agree ..... it's not a great first impression. You'd be pleased to know that we are looking at upgrading the level 1 fitness area and the tender process has begun. I was most concerned to hear of the incorrect advice you received regarding the inclusion of breakfast. I was pleased however that one day's charge was removed and do apologise for the mix-up.
I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall and will pass on your appreciation to our team.
Hope your team won at the footy!
Kindest regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I am a frequent user of hotels for business (but don't write nearly enough reviews!) so I know that sometimes the biggest difference between hotels is not the strength of the shower or the décor, but the instances of outstanding service. We stayed at the Melbourne Marriott using Marriott Rewards points, and at check-in gave the car to the concierge for parking. Lyda, who checked us in, noted that the parking would cost $40 but that if we took a 1-bedroom suite upgrade, that would cost $60 but included the parking. Daniel, who brought our bags up was courteous, chatty and interested. We told him we had to attend a business dinner when we would probably rather just stay in house. Later when we returned to the room from the dinner, Daniel had left a note saying he hoped we had enjoyed the dinner despite it being a business event, and left a bag of chocolates and a bottle of wine with his compliments for us to enjoy. Outstanding service, having remembered the conversation, realised our feelings and then responding without a prompt. We'll be back and we sincerely hope both Lyda and Daniel are there when we come back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
MelbourneMarriott, General Manager at Melbourne Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Mullah62,
Great to read your review following your recent visit.
We do appreciate receiving feedback as it enables us to see ourselves as others see us. I was pleased that Lyda highlighted options for your stay and Daniel made sure you were made to feel welcome. Your appreciation will be passed on to them both.
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
With kindest regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Melbourne Marriott during mid June for 3 nights. The experience has been nothing short of spectacular, centrally located in Melbourne with easy access to cafés and parks. Hotel employees are professional and friendly. Can't wait to fly back during the Australian Open in January 2015. Cheers to services excellence and attention to details!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Yi Z,
We love receiving reviews like yours! Thank you so much for your posting.
We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
With warm regards,
USA
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Stayed there in July. The rooms were dated and the whole hotel was somewhat dark. I really loved the hotel. Location is very good. Skipped the breakfast Buffett as it was pricey. The cafe had la carte items far lower price and was all tasty. Staff was friendly and courteous. The towels had a musty odor and were showing some wear. It must be a common thing with Marriott and musty towels, during my stay in Basel Switzerland courtyard also I had to deal with towel smell. Overall I liked this place.

Room Tip: Plenty of restaurants in and around within a short walk.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Dear FAAMA,
Many thanks for your posting following your visit last month with us at the Melbourne Marriott.
I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay but most concerned that you found the towels a little "musty". This is not a problem I have been aware of and have highlighted it to our Housekeeper to ensure a closer check is carried out. Please accept our apologies on this occasion and thank you sincerely for bringing it to our attention.
Thank you also for mentioning that you found the hotel a little 'dark'. We do dim the ground floor lights at night for atmosphere - but perhaps a little too much - and I will look into it further.
We greatly value feedback and I am most appreciative of your comments.
With kindest regards,
UAE
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel with our 2 year old. The rooms were spacious and nicely done. The staff from the lobby to the restaurants were all very helpful and attentive and made our stay wonderful.

The location is perfect in the cbd and you can walk to most of the places. Loved it.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear fly_to_heaven,
Thank you for reviewing our hotel.
I'm sure that travelling with a 2 year old would have its challenges, so it was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope to have you and the family back again soon.
Kindest regards,
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Never in my stays in different Hotel have I been offered a drink while waiting to check in. That glass of Champagne was the start of a great day and night. Our bags where brought up to our room immediately. Room was very nice and clean. Very impressed with the staff. They were very pleasant and so willing to assist. Location was excellent. We went to see Le Mis so it was the perfect place to stay. I mentioned at the desk when I checked in that we were going to the show and on our arrival back in our room after the show we found a complimantary bottle of red wine and chocolates. Highly recommend this hotel based on my first stay there. Will definitely go back again. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Enza C,
I was so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us ..... and hope you enjoyed the show too.
Thank you for mentioning that you were impressed with our staff. They really do their best to ensure our guests are well looked after.
I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
With warm regards,