“Avoid at all cost.”

Flagstaff City - Melbourne
Ranked #158 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I stayed here for 7 days and regret the money we wasted by doing so. There is a LONG list of problems is with the place. It is totally unclean for one. As you enter the foyer it doesn't look too bad but you get your key and have to lug your bags up poky and unsafe stairs- which one of the people I was traveling with almost fell down only saved by her luggage, followed by exceptionally dirty cobble stones more stairs and walked into the pokey room meant for three. The "kitchen" was far too small to be in and there was no way for us to cook. Did I mention the fact that it backs on to a fire station? One of the windows had no glass, the bathroom was far too tiny and the towels were falling apart. Three people were rude, the tv didn't work-even after several requests to look at and there was no secure place to put items. On one night there was a party in the room next to us which we complained about however it took 4 attempts for any result and even then they were only asked to check out two hours early. On the positive- it is very near Victoria markets and the free tram.

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed 10 December 2012

i stayed here last week an all i can say is never ever again!! seriously upgrade the hole motel, get a electrician an plumber in, ohh an please new friendly staff that knows customer friendly service!!

Room Tip: when they have good deals dont go for it .. youll get sucked in like i did !! or try an ask for an u...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Sophie M
Reviewed 17 November 2012

The location is on the outer edge of the city which was convenient but I won't stay here again. The whole place is old & run down with mould in the bathroom & various damage to the interior. The tiny kitchenette I had to turn sideways just to get into. The curtains were torn & the bedspread was old & worn. I felt like there were bugs in the bed which was so old it had a huge sunken valley running down the middle & so little support I sunk into it & kept rolling into the middle all night. At night the scummy looking tenants were banging on doors & drunkenly trampling around all night. To make matters worse, it backs onto the fire station which has call-outs all night & a loudspeaker outside. Overall, I'd rather sleep in the car. Very uncomfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Steve C
Reviewed 14 October 2012

I highly recommend that you STAY AWAY from this Hotel. My friend and I decided to stay for a 4 day period, and was absolutley appalled at what took place. When we pulled-up to the hotel it looked VERY shabby out the front, when we went in we were greeted by a man (with broken English) who told us it was not yet check-in time, and to "Put our bags" in a room in reception until 2pm (Did not offer to take bags to put in there), so we put our luggage in the very un-professional looking room (there was stuff Everywhere), the man seemed unfriendly, as if we were bothering. We then came back at 2.00 (Check-In time), to our horror we saw that All the rooms were located up stairs, and there was NO lift, so we had to DRAG our suitcases up 3/4 flights of stairs!!!!!!!! At this point I was contemplating leaving, but unfortunatley I had paid in advance, and didnt like my chances of a refund, So I struggled with both suitcases, aswell as two carry on bags up-stairs, I had to carry all the bags up, as my friend has a back problem, the stairs were quite steep to, at once point when dragging the cases up-stairs I nearley fell back trying to get them up. I would have NEVER booked this Motel had I known, esp. since my friend has a back complaint. When we eventually got up-stairs we were greeted by a so-called 'Courtyard', which looked very shabby, our room itself was O.K, no MAJOR problems, but was VERY basic looking. Also the shower-head was faulty, took ages to try and get it to stay up, even with following the instructions on the wall, The screw tightener was obviously old and worn-out. When 'checking-out' I asked the man at the front desk (The same man who checked us-in) If he could please take our luggage down the stairs, as it was a bit much for me by myself (plus we are two younger females, not big in stature), He said "Where are they?", I explained I had left them near the door of our room, to which he replied to in his broken-accent "You need to bring bags down to near the stair-case, we're not a 5-star, hotel you know?!!!", I felt that was very rude, but was trying to not course trouble, so I said "Ok, sorry..I'll go and put the luggage near the stair-case", So I went up and grabbed our luggage and put it at the top of the stair case (Like I was asked), the man went to the top of the stair-case, while we stood at the bottom of the case, next thing you know we watched in HORROR as the man threw- the first suitcase down the stairs, My friend called out "Can you please be careful, there is valuables in there", to which he rolled his eyes and got the same case and THREW IT DOWN the 2 remaining flights of stairs, and got the other and started to do the same, when my friend said "seriously stop that", He replied "WHY DONT YOU DO IT YOURSELF THEN"!!!!!! Never in all my years have I been spoken to in that way, by a supposed "HOSPITALITY WORKER"!!, we were absolutley gob-smacked by this appalling behaviour. I then said just leave it, DONOT touch my luggage anymore, he pushed the case down, and the case ended up brushing my friend against the wall! He then just walked off shaking his head, when we tried confronting him over it. Also In the process of THROWING my case down the stairs I later noticed that the bottom of my case was actually now BROKEN!!! We were so upset and ANGRY we hopped straight into the cab outside and left, when we got in the cab, even the taxi driver commented on how RUDE the man was , while he was standing in reception earlier. This sort of behavious is unacceptable from somebody working in customer service, I also work in the customer service industry, and if I did something like this I would no longer have a job. WARNING Stay away from this motel if you want any sort of RESPECT or courtesy.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank Shopaholic1234
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Good price / quality. We stayed in the hotel with our two kids (12 and 2 years old) for 4 nights and were happy about it. There are several things that I liked most: central location close to main sightseeing with beautiful Flagstaff gardens nearby, daily changing of bed linen, everything in a room was in a working condition - nothing was broken or damaged, good room size (35 sq m for family room), good essential facilities in room included three wide beds (queen & 2 singles), table with two chairs, 3 drawers, coffee table, major kitchenette with microwave, toaster and kettle, hairdryer. Our room #302 was rather quiet despite it faces the street locating remotely from other rooms so we had good sleep. Night concierge was waiting for our arrival. They also have nice patio at the 1st floor with small fountain and some flower beds.
The only things that can be better are adding shower gel in bath (they provided only shower caps and shampoo), free Wi-Fi in rooms (costs about 6 AUD per half an hour), free breakfasts (costs about 9AUD per person daily).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2012

At first thought when you walk into the foyer it appears clean tidy and inviting. Sadly thats as far as it goes.
We walked into a room with ciggarette burn holes in the quilt covers, the bathroom had not been cleaned as there was still soap scum over the sink / bench. The shower had mould and the grout looked like it was growing.
Since we had not intended to stay there other than to sleep we left things be, sadly the night out didnt go as planned so we headed back before 12am, but we would of got a better nights sleep on a park bench.
There was noise from the street, noise from the children staying on level upstairs, we could hear people talking on their phone half the night, the walls were so thin we could hear when the the people in the next room were using their bathroom. The pillows, each and every one of them in our room felt like it was made of rocks, and the curtains blocked out near nothing of the lighting outside. Needless to say we were lucky to get two hours sleep all night.
So the positives, the staff was friendly, and the nightshift man makes a mean latte.

Room Tip: Look around for something better.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rahrah_79
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I stayed here for the location and price. Rooms are small but clean, bathroom was quite nice. If you're looking for a cheap place to stay it would do the job.

I arrived quite late, due to my flight (11.30pm), and the night attendant was waiting for me.

Room was small, but comfortable, consisting of a queen bed and one single. Bathroom was small, but did the job. Old style a/c was also in the room.

The room was quiet and comfortable. Only downside was there is no lift, so I had to carry my 3 bags up a flight of stairs. If you are an older person, you may struggle with this. Otherwise, it was clean, comfortable place to stay.

Location is good, as it is a 2 min walk to the tram line, and a 20 to Southern Cross Station.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo