“Heading to an AFL Game at Etihad Stadium?”
Review of Atlantis Hotel

Atlantis Hotel
Ranked #94 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 14 July 2014

If your heading to Melbourne to watch an AFL game at Etihad Stadium I can recommend the Best Western Atlantis Hotel in Melbourne. Located close to the ground and easy to get to by Skybus from the airport its conveniently located. With easy to use trams to explore the city located just down the road in Bourke Street and the Mail Exchange Hotel down on the corner for a great meal, its a great place for a weekend getaway to the football. All you need now is for your team to win!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Write a ReviewReviews (1,910)

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed in room 1320, which is a corner room overlooking Spencer Street and the new building opposite. A reasonably good room, with an irritating drip noise from the corner of the building if it is raining, used ear plugs for sleeping. Room clean, bathroom with a few mould stains in shower, but otherwise fine.

One thing I do dislike is no mini bar in room, nothing worse than being in pjs and feeling like a small snack or glass of wine or beer and there isn't any. Yes there is a machine in the reception area, but who wants to get changed at 11pm to go to the machine. And it doesn't serve alcohol.

Reasonably good location at a reasonable price. One thing to note, if you see a special price on wotif have a look at the hotel's own website before you book...you will likely get breakfast thrown in free of charge if you book via their own website.

Wifi is not free, I paid $20 for 700mb (to be used over three days).

Staff at reception are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Average price and average hotel. We booked a twin room for 3 nights with the understanding that there was no view, I didn't realise that this also meant that the window had film over it and you couldn't even see what the weather was like outside. The single beds were uncomfortable. On the plus side the room was clean and the towels were replaced daily. Some of the reception staff were friendly and helpful and some just couldn't be bothered. The hotel is across from Spencer Street outlet, train station and within walking distance to Queen Victoria Markets. Not really close to anything else so be prepared to wear comfy shoes or utilise the trams and taxis. There is a little restaurant next door and nothing else decent in the vicinity. I doubt that I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Excellent location. Easy access to trams, trains and Skybus from airport. Good variety of rooms available. Breakfast is passable. No free Wifi is a distinct disadvantage. Hopefully Aussie hotels will catch up with the rest of the world!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a late review as I stayed at the hotel in Feb 2014 but it was a great stay!! My room was very nice with a king bed, desk and sofa. The bathroom was a nice size. You have to pay for wi-fi but I had a mobile broadband device so I didn't need to use it. There isn't a restaurant in this hotel but next door is an Italian restaurant that you can order from and you can charge it to your room. They also deliver. I loved that the hotel was walking distance from the Spencer street station as I walked after I got off the Skybus from the airport. I also took the train to different sites in the city. The tram is also close by to go to docklands and the shopping center.

What I really appreciated was the staff. I went shopping (the shopping in Melbourne is awesome!) and purchased more than I could put in my bag. I actually broke my bag trying to fit everything. The staff let me store all of my shopping bags and broken bag in the back until I was able to purchase a suitcase at the outlet mall to pack it up in the lobby. They were very helpful! If I ever make it back to Melbourne I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed for 2 weeks at this hotel on a business trip to Melbourne last month and had it not been for the fact that my company had prepaid for my stay I would have been out of the place and looking for somewhere else to stay after the first day! The staff on the reception where, in the majority, very unfriendly and unhelpful. They couldn't even tell me basic things like where to catch a tram into the city. I had to pay extra for the wireless internet connection, which is unheard of nowadays, unless you are staying in a cheap Travelodge type place. The cost of this was extortionate, especially for what you actually get. I paid for a week to start with and after a few Skype conversations with my colleagues and family back home, the connection virtually stopped working, after just two days! When I enquired as to why this was, I was told I had reached my download limit! My only choice, if I wanted to stay in touch with my family and colleagues while I was there, was to buy more internet access. After my two weeks there, with pretty poor internet speeds and using it very frugally, I paid more than £55 for this 'service'! The rooms where pretty basic and not too clean. I had a 'docklands view' room and the window, through which said view was to be had, was absolutely filthy. I mentioned this to the staff on the reception and they told me that it was because of some new building going on opposite the hotel but that the windows would be cleaned soon. At the end of my two weeks stay the windows where still filthy and it seemed to me that the excuse was that the windows would not be cleaned while they were getting dirty? The room itself was very dusty and although the towels were changed every day and the soap & shampoo sachets topped up (resulting in a mountain of the stuff accumulating before I left) no one seemed to be interested in hoovering the carpet or cleaning the dust in the room. I eventually had to ask for this to be done at the reception when it got to the point that I could write my name in the dust on the bedside cabinets and TV shelf etc. The breakfast was pretty dismal for someone on a working trip. The choice, every day, was scrambled egg, baked beans, various cheap and tasteless cereals, toast with the usual butter, jam and marmalade condiments, fruit juice and bitter coffee. No meat of any description on offer at any time. The hotel had a nice pool and a well equipped gym but no bar or place to eat. I would strongly recommend that anyone wanting to stay in Melbourne and enjoy the stay to avoid this particular hotel and find somewhere with decent facilities, decent rooms, decent breakfast friendly and helpful staff and free wifi. This place has none of them!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank KevEv
atlantis300, Owner at Atlantis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Thanks for your review

In Australia it is still accepted that W Fi is not free given the low room rates we charge in comparison to other international cities and we never claim it is free - this may change in the future so thanks for the feed back

We do currently have a large building be built over the road and as such given the size of our building it is just not possible to clean the outside windows daily to remove the dust that is being generated - however as you would have seen the windows to the rooms do not open so the rooms do remain free from this dust.

We serve a Buffet Continental Breakfast (we never use the word FULL - hence no cooked products) but as top up to this we do offer Eggs and Baked Beans which to most is a real bonus when you consider that the breakfast is either FREE if booked on our website or $12 if booked elsewhere - not too many hotels in Melbourne would offer you a Buffet like this for $12.

I am glad you got a chance to use our indoor pool, gym and sauna - but I am a little disappointed that in your conclusion you state if you want better facilities stay elsewhere - Again for the rates that we charge not too many other hotels would offer facilities likes these

Thanks for your review we appreciate all feedback and will continue to provide value accommodation in Melbourne and again I recommend readers to this site read several reviews to get a balanced view of the hotel

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Upon arrival to Atlantic Hotel we were hassled with documents for my parents to sign to use their credit card. We are young travellers and our parents have allowed us to use their credit card for accommodation. After staying two nights in a less than "hotel" room with not even a microwave or free breakfast, we tried to check out. Apparently out parents card with NO LIMIT was "declined"...weird. They spoke to us like we were dumb, demanding payment. Of course we weren't going to leave without paying but we had to contact our parents in Sweden so we left to sort everything out and they demanded we leave our bags there. Why didn't the hotel tell us the card was declined? Why did they assume that it was just a simple mistake? If we knew it was declined we could have contacted our parents to ask them to fix it. But now it's Monday and they are working, our parents do not answer calls during the work day and are extremely busy. After being questioned about how we pay for food and why we didn't have money we felt more than unwelcome. Of course it is no ones fault that our parents credit card was declined, but the fact that no one was contacted until check out time is ridiculous. Not to mention the two people behind us that just so happened to have the same problem with their declined credit cards. The manager threatened to take our bags if we didn't pay them. We are kids with not a lot of money, what did they expect from us. If the staff was more attentive and contacted us as soon as the card didn't go through we definitely could have fixed this. Now we are stuck in Melbourne with zero cash and still no phone call from our parents. Thanks Atlantic Hotel you have been a great deal of help to two young girls traveling alone. We also appreciate the tone of which you decided to talk to us in, that was very mature and professional. Needless to say we will never stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014