“Very nice”

and up
Melbourne Zoo General Entry Ticket
Ranked #38 of 455 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Journey through a world of wildlife in the heart of Melbourne. Over 250 species from around the world can be found in the beautiful setting of Melbourne Zoo, just five minutes from the city centre. Stroll through the lush Asian and African rainforests, Australian bushland and even underwater! Walk where tigers roam and monkeys swing from tree to tree. See eye-to-eye with the Orang-utans in their special elevated exhibit, explore the Trail of Elephants and then head down the bush track to see unique Australian wildlife including koalas, kangaroos, wombats and emus. Submerge yourself in our underwater world to see Victoria's iconic Little Penguins, Australian Fur Seals and more! Meet the Keeper: Hear our expert keepers give daily talks about the animals in their care. Close-up Encounters: Book a close-up encounter with one of our animals for a great photo opportunity. Melbourne Zoo is also the proud winner of the Victoria Tourism Awards RACV People’s Choice category, voted by Victorians as their Favourite Metro Attraction in both 2015 and 2016!
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was traveling to Melbourne alone for work and had an extra day. I had heard this was the oldest zoo in the world and was very nice. It was a little bit of a gloomy day but I went anyway. I enjoyed seeing the kangaroos and koalas and there is a beautiful elephant exhibit but all of the elephants were inside their barn and I had to look at them in cages through a window. The gorillas were also inside their barn and I had to see them through the window. I also missed the tazmanian devil and wombats, which I was looking forward to seeing because we don't have those at our zoos in the States. The penguins were great, the orangutans were very active and a lot of fun to watch, and I'd never seen a platypus before so that was cool. Overall is was nice and clean but I missed out I think on some of the more unique animals on that particular day. I would recommend going here if you like zoos but beware you may not see everything when you're there. My visit was in June 2014.

1  Thank Laurenmk
Write a ReviewReviews (5,683)
All reviews
in 81 reviews
in 105 reviews
in 58 reviews

Reviewed 10 July 2014

i love the mapping. we just saw the map and choose which animal we want to see. don't have to go around the zoo.
first we just want to see the Koala and kangaroo. but there are so many animal that we can see. unfortunately, can't take picture of Koala because it was back light, and the Koala don't want to go down. I hope there will be a photo session with koala or other animal

1  Thank MIchelfelicia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have been to many zoos around the world and I always find Melbourne to be a leader in it's conservation efforts. I have visited the zoo many times and am always amazed at the next enclosure that is ready for renovation or just completed. The metamorphosis over the last 20 years has been astonishing.
The Lemur enclosure is brilliant and allows visitors to get up close and enjoy them. Yes, the big cat section could definitely do with a total revamp but with the upgrade of the lion enclosure this will solve some of the problems.
The food selection could be improved, the addition of more healthy options would be beneficial.
Well done to the enormous efforts that have been made so far.

1  Thank mintiewhite
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Melbourne zoo is a fantastic day out for anyone - whether you are going with family or friends. So many animals to see, your feet will get tired from trying to see all the animals on offer! If you have kids go on the holidays or weekends when it is free! I wish it was free when I was little :)

1  Thank Oliver111111
See more reviews
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I love the Zoo, I haven't been in years, so decided to visit again. and I wasn't disappointed. there are so many new animals and things to do. The Lemur exhibit was my favourite. you can actually go into the cages with them and they come right up to you. Just remember if your going, wear comfy shoes. Its a lot of walking but so worth it !!!!

1  Thank Amyjean F
Melbourne-Zoo, Marketing at Melbourne Zoo, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Hi AmyJean,
Thanks for visiting Melbourne Zoo, and for taking the time to write such a great review. We hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, The Zoos Victoria Team.