“This Jail House Rocks!”

US$55.01*
Melbourne Bike Tour with Coffee and Drinks Including Yarra River and Southbank
Ranked #15 of 432 things to do in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Step back in time and walk the road to the gallows in a 19th century prison, be arrested in a modern-day Police Station or put yourself on trial in court.Home to Melbourne's oldest prison, historic Magistrates' Court and former Police City Watch House, Russell Street has been at the heart of crime, law and order in Melbourne since the 1840s. Most of Australia’s infamous characters, including iconic bushranger, Ned Kelly and notorious gangster Squizzy Taylor have spent time within the walls of this amazing precinct. A ticket to the Old Melbourne Gaol grants you visiting rights to the past, present and future of crime and justice in Australia.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / lift
Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was a fun and interesting experience. It may sound a bit sobering - visiting a jail - but nonetheless it was made as a fun and inventive experience, thanks to Sergeant Croft. We got to visit the tiny cells in this very old prison and the adjacent Magistrate's Court. And we got to learn a little of some of Melbourne's history. For the record, Sergeant, I didn't do it!!!

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Wholly enjoyable experience learning about the Melbourne Gaol. Loved the Warden Experience (bit scary tho!). Look out for vouchers in the Tourist magazines - we got 20% off our admission price.
If you're after a historically interesting hour or two don't miss the Gaol!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I grew up in Melbourne in the 60sand70s, but did not visit the gaol until a family visit brought me back from the US. We took the guided tour and glad we did - it was interesting to hear stories and explanations from a very knowledgeable guide Trevor. We also did the watch house experience...fun in a 'scared straight' kind of way. Excellent visit for those who love history and see more of a city than the shops!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Great experience! I cant believe I have waited so long to visit this little treasure in my home city. Tour guide was fantastic and informative.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

The gaol itself is interesting enough, but I had to comment on the watch house tour!

It was very entertaining, and I'm sure after the experience none of our kids will ever break the law! Get locked up if you get a chance.