“Great position.. But no atmosphere”
Review of Adelphi Hotel

Adelphi Hotel
Ranked #1 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Great position.. But no atmosphere”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

When I arrived, I found I had left my licence at home..I was made to feel like a naughty school girl.. So.. After finally agreeing to send a copy in the next day, I was allowed to go to my room.. I think the staff were more excited about the free lollies in the mini bar than I was.. Pretty tacky I thought..
Basic room, although spacious.. Felt cold and basic... A little bit like a youth hostel .
The pool, which sounded exciting, was also pretty tacky.. All needed some work.

A great position in the middle of the CBD .. But I think there are other places for a Similar cost that would be Nicer,

Room Tip: I think it would be hard to escape the noise in the street below.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Chriskringle
LanceLagudi, Operations Manager at Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Dear Chriskringle,

Thank you for visiting Adelphi and sharing your stay. It is great to get all feedback from our guests and I appreciate the opportunity to reply to you. While our central location is a great plus for us it saddens me to read that our hotel wasn't perfect for you. Often a less then perfect stay is the result of a less than ideal start and I apologize for the delay you experienced due to your license not being with you. We are quite strict on this aspect to ensure the security of guest details and lawful use of credit cards but with better communication on our part prior to arrival this could have been better managed.

We are very excited about the unique product we have here at Adelphi and that extends to the mini-bar and other inclusions. While we love it when our guests share that excitement we know that for some the makings of a great stay are in others aspects. I hope when our pool area is renovated in the coming months that this is a particular motivator for yourself to return to Adelphi. Without being aware of which of room type you stayed in it may be also that one of our alternate rooms is a better fit for you and provides the right feel and warmth.

I hope that we have another opportunity in the future to welcome you to Adelphi and please feel free to contact me direct at the hotel should this be the case.

Lance

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here for a work conference that was being held at the generic Sheraton round the corner. Mainly booked as I liked the idea of the pool. No regrets there swimming every morning eight flights up doing kick turns over flinders lane was a unique experience. Really groovy fell to the hotel, great staff service and when they did make a small error they fell over themselves to make it right (it's the putting right that counts!). Room was on level 5, quiet enough, average room really without a view except of the neighbouring building but loved the bathroom and all the little touches like free minibar and candy and quirky books. Movies were also free on some trial or something. Great location. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Mark W
LanceLagudi, Operations Manager at Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hi Mark W,

Thanks for sharing your stay and for choosing us over one of the big guys. While I am not aware of what the small error was that was made it is very encouraging to read about the eagerness the team showed in turning this around. You are right that this very much is the bit that counts.

When you return next you be pleased to find that movies are still fully available as part of your room rate and the pool will still be comfortable to swim in year round.

See you then,
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We've stayed in this hotel quite a few times over the years and have been a fan. It had however become a bit tired but has had a very nice freshen up recently with new owners. It is a small boutique hotel and has retained its quirky feel and now has a team of enthusiastic, helpful staff. The location is perfect, very central and a short walk to many great restaurants and bars - having Supernormal open up across the road is a real bonus!
The free lollies and drinks are a nice touch and free wifi also gets a big tick. The price is very reasonable for the quality and location. Much better value than many of the bigger hotels.

1 Thank Maccyoz
Dear Maccyoz,

It's always good to hear from those guests that experienced the old Adelphi and can really appreciate the hard edges we have smoothed over. Thanks for continuing to stay at Adelphi through the many ups and downs and I can assure we are staying up from here on in :)

Thanks for sharing your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back many times,
Wellington
Reviewed 16 June 2014

The Adelphi is really well located on Flinders Lane – an easy walk into the CBD and surrounds.

The decor is quality and stylish and not the naff faux-opulence of some hotels (still not sure what to make of the large horse sculpture in the lobby!). The rooms are clean, comfortable and, I thought, reasonably spacious. Bathrooms (no baths only shower) are big enough and the shower is good.

We were originally on the 7th floor, and the room was pretty noisy – I had a lousy night's sleep, woken up by bins being emptied, car stereos etcetera. In the morning I mentioned that they need double glazing, and Ricky promptly (without me asking) organised another room (apparently the upper floors have opening windows – a legacy of days when people were allowed to smoke in rooms – and these tend to have more noise). I thought they handled my issue really well (nice and unexpected touch to find a note and bottle of wine in the new – and indeed quieter – room). My only gripe would be, having read reviews that suggested the place could be noisy I had specifically asked that we be located somewhere quiet when I booked – that obviously didn't happen.

The service is professional and friendly and the rooms are really nice. Great toiletries and nice touch that the minibar and sweets are all complimentary, and the complimentary welcome drink was, indeed, welcome.

The dessert at Om Nom was, to be honest, a disappointment. High quality ingredients, but the flavours were a bit of a mishmash. Perhaps I just chose badly.

We will definitely look to stay at the Adelphi again next time we come to Melbourne.

Room Tip: Higher floors (7+) have windows that open and are noisier in terms of hearing street noise. Apparent...
1 Thank jo_welly
Dear jo_welly,

Your review of your stay is one the most pleasing that I have read in some time. Thank you for your very constructive feedback and also for highlighting the impact that the quick resolution had on your stay. Guests do at times experience issues in any service based establishment but it is how these bumps are smoothed out that makes the biggest difference to your overall impressions and is an accurate measure of the attitudes and engagement of those delivering the product. I am not at all surprised that Ricky and the team acted quickly and decisively to turn your stay around. He is an outstanding professional and a very big part of our ongoing success.

In regards to the noise that you did initially experience, I am happy to report that the high floor windows that you speak of have all been replaced and the results have been very positive. We also have a number of other improvements in the works to reduce internal noise even further.

Please know that I am as pleased to reply to your review as I was to read it and I look to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here with my my partner for three nights last week and was impressed from the get go. The Adelphi Hotel is located right in the heart of the Melbourne CBD, very easy to get to and from the hotel. Upon entering the hotel you are asked to wait in the luxurious bar area of the complex where you are also offered free welcome drinks.

The rooms themselves are very well equipped and very modern, like nothing we have stayed in before. We found the USB/Iphone Connections in the room very helpful and the free movies that were supplied through the TV Service was excellent (had pretty much every new release we could think of - we ended up watching the new 300).

Each day you get sweets in your room including daily macaroons and drinks in the fridge, this was a lovely addition and we looked forward to it each day. The room service was also excellent including the in-room dining (with affordable pricing).

When ever we needed help with anything the staff were immensely helpful and very friendly, this alone makes us want to visit the Adelphi and Melbourne again very soon.

Thanks Adelphi!

2 Thank Karl W
Hi Karl W,

Thanks for sharing what I can see was a great stay with us here at Adelphi. We are very proud of our inclusive rates and truly hope that this helps our guests relax in our rooms. We believe strongly that booking a room should not be simply an opportunity to spend more whilst inside. At Adelphi, you book a room, you get what is in it.

Thank you also for the kind words on the team. Despite everything else, we know it is people that bring guests back and we have the best.

Take care and we will see you again soon,
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We absolutely love the Adelphi, we stayed 2 nights. The décor is chic and modern, I loved it so much I wanted to take some furnishings home, wish I knew where to buy them! The lobby is small but inviting, the staff are friendly, helpful and even take the time to chat to our 5 year old son. My son loved the bowls of jelly beans that sit on the lobby desk which he was offered every morning we left the hotel. We all loved the giant dish of free chocolates in our room and the free bar fridge of juice, water and coke. Even will the roll out bed for our son, there was enough room for us to move about. There was even a note written on our mirror welcoming us to the hotel.
The hotel is very quiet, we could not hear any street noises and only occasionally a door closing, but never any voices of people coming and going. The movies were also free and had a great selection of new releases for kids and adults. Part of the pool cantilevers over the edge of the building on the eighth floor and is 25 degrees, my husband says it`s a must do!? The hotel is central, walking distance to Myer, Flinders St station and Fed Square. We had breakfast at the restaurant, great décor again, the swinging seats made me feel carsick as my son can`t sit still, but they looked great. The food was delicious and again the staff very attentive. We will be visiting again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rhonda K
Hi Rhonda K,

Firstly, thank you for not taking any of the furnishings :). And secondly thank you for your great review of your stay at Adelphi. It's great to read that our little hotel with the big rooms is perfect for the young and the young at heart.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon,
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We loved our stay at Adelphi Hotel in Melbourne. It is in a great location and within walking distance to resturants and great shopping. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and it made the service very persnalised. Although the rooms are quite small, they are just perfect for two people and the decor is modern. Although it may seem a bit pricy for some, it would be nice for a special occation and you wouldn't be disappointed. At the end of the night we enjoyed a spectacular dessert in the restaurant.

1 Thank Nicole411
LanceLagudi, Operations Manager at Adelphi Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Nicole411,

Great to read that enjoyed a great romantic stay at Adelphi and that the team played a big part in making this so.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Thanks for sharing