“Another Great Stay”
Review of The Crossley Hotel

The Crossley Hotel
Ranked #38 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We first stayed at the Crossley Hotel back in November and were very impressed with the location, service and quality of the room, we decided to return. We were not disappointed. We stayed in a superior room with a kitchenette and it was huge. We had a shower this time and not a bath with shower. We prefer the shower only option. The room and bathroom was very clean. It was very quiet and great location in Little Bourke Street. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westraveler
Melissa L, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Dear Westraveler

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your most recent stay. I was really pleased to read that you once again enjoyed your stay with us in a Superior room and that you found the room to be clean, spacious and comfortable. We certainly are in a fantastic location, surrounded by many of Melbourne's great restaurants and attractions.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon on your next visit to the City.

Reviewed 11 April 2012

Stayed for 3 nights during the Melbourne Garden Show 28-31 March. Room 314 (level 3).

LOCATION: Good location in the middle of Chinatown, close to the free tourist tram. Takes about 15 minutes to walk to Flinders Street area or other shopping or take a tram. Best described as in the quieter part of the CBD, close to Parliament House.

FOOD: tonnes of restaurants surrounding - spoilt for choice although alot of the restaurants, simple asian, I found quite expensive. If you want 5star restaurants, Longrain is just 2 seconds up the road.
We didn't eat dinner at the hotel but I wish we had. It is a restaurant with a fish theme. They have a set menu on Fri night for $35 - good value and far better than other restaurants.
Breakfast was excellent, lots of choice and included in the price of the room. Quite adequate for what you need: cereal, muesli, fruit, pastries, toast, good quality tea and coffee, yoghurt. If you want a cooked breakfast, you pay an extra $6. Only prob was there's not enough tables/chairs for the amount of guests. We sat upstairs one morning but staff were good about it checking if we were ok. Tip: go early.

ROOM: I read other reviews and requested a room at the rear and that's what I got. Room was very nicely decorated, 2 double beds, plenty of pillows, tv, iron and ironing board, wardrobe, tea, coffee, nice block out curtains, quiet, current magazines complimentary to read. The only negative is the ducted air conditioning. Difficult to get it to stay on the selected temperature, and it was noisy. Fan blowing (even on low fan) kept us up most of the night and one bed is directly under it. By day 3, we were extremely tired and irritable. They did offer to move us on the 2nd night if a room was available but we felt it a hassle to have to pack up and move and were too tired. If they fixed the air con and had individual systems for each room, I would give the room an excellent rating. It will be a deciding factor for me to stay again.

Bathroom good, shower over bath and the water pressure is fantastic, no waiting for hot water as it was immediate, hairdryer, modern.

STAFF: great, all very friendly, welcoming and helpful. We checked out early and were able to store our bags until departure.

Overall I'd stay again if they fixed the air conditioning as sleep quality is really important to me. Unfortunately you can't open the windows.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter. Don't get a room next to the smokers corner, level 3 as I suspect...
3  Thank balishopper
Melissa L, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Balishopper

Thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of your stay. I was very pleased to read the many positive aspects highlighted, especially regarding the friendly and helpful service offered by all staff and the great location of the Hotel. I am sorry that you experienced difficulty with the air conditioning temperature and fan. We have reported this to our maintenance team to address and rectify accordingly.
I agree with your comments that we are very spoilt for choice with surrounding restaurants. Hopefully on your next stay, you will have the opportunity to try the Spanish paella night, as it is a great experience.

I look forward to being able to welcome you back to Crossley Hotel on your next visit to the City.

Reviewed 28 March 2012

The best all round experience from our tour of Singapore, Melbourne, Sydney and port Douglas. Comfortable room,s very friendly staff, good location, FREE WIFI in the room. great location for the City Circle tram (which is free). Breakfast was good, but slightly pricey so some days we ate out at nearby breakfast places. Without a doubt, we would stay there again. the attached restaurant was also good, not a huge menu, but that's sometimes a good sign.

6  Thank clive c
Melissa L, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Dear Clive C

Thank you for your recent 5/5 review. I was really delighted to read that you found the Hotel comfortable and the service friendly and helpful. I was also glad that you enjoyed the great location of the Hotel and took the opportunity to utilise the fantastic free City Circle tram.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Australia is now pretty expensive,so finding a reasonably priced central hotel is not easy.Crossley however fits the bill.Good attentive staff,rooms clean and everything you need.Only downside is proximity of some rooms to the lane at side of hotel where bins are emptied at about 5am.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Johnjen

Dear Johnjen

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the Hotel to be clean, comfortable, good value with friendly and helpful service.
I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed over the weekend of the F1. We arrived on a very early flight from Sydney and the staff at the front desk were extremely helpful. They offered to phone us before 2pm if a room became available (which it did). The room was clean and well appointed. Location was great, short walk to get to most places. Breakfast was included, basic but fine and a little chaotic one morning. Recommend this hotel for weekend breaks in Melbourne.

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank Stephmacmillan
Melissa L, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2012

Dear Stephmacmillan

Thank you for your review of your recent stay. I was pleased to read that the staff were helpful and were able to assist in arranging an earlier check in to the room. I was also pleased that the room was clean and comfortable and you enjoyed the complimentary breakfast included with the room.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Crossley Hotel on your next city break.

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Recently visited Melbourne, same time as grand prix F1, not easy to find a suitable accommodation at reasonable price; This hotel well rated on this site deserves all the credit it is mentioned of by various visitors...great location, comfortable room and more important... fantastic services from all reception staff who will do everything to make your stay a memorable one..
This is not a "Palace" per say but it is worth patronizing and supporting; Me, being a food lover, I was blessed with being able to easily walk to all nearby many great eateries for which Melbourne is so famous for...I'll definitely return on my next visit;

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank jjbali

Dear Jjkiefer

Thank you so much for such a wonderful review. I was truly delighted that you scored your stay 5/5. I was also pleased to read that you appreciated the friendly and professional service offered by all the staff, who made your stay a memorable one. Thank you for also highlighting the Crossley Hotel's fantastic location to many of Melbourne's great restaurants and cafes. I am sure other travellers will find this review useful.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Melbourne on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 15 March 2012

The efficient and friendly staff made our stay better than expected. They went out of their way to help us including offering us umbrellas during an unexpected downpour and carrying our bags to the taxi.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Melissa L, Manager at The Crossley Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2012

Dear Prudence57

Thank you for the fantastic 5 out of 5 review of your recent stay. I really appreciate you highlighting the efficient and friendly service you received from all the staff and glad we were able to assist with offering you an umbrella when heading out into Melbourne's often unpredictable weather.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel on your next visit to Melbourne.