“No more comfy chair”

Ranked #83 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney
“No more comfy chair”
Reviewed 10 April 2012

I write to disillusion anyone who read my 29 April 2011 review of this hotel and fixated on the armchair and footrest, about which I expressed such enthusiasm. ALAS! the hotel has had a makeover and abolished the armchair, the footrest and the wardrobe that included shelves. There is now NOWHERE to put your clothes. No shelves (other than the one with blankets on it); no drawers apart from the small one between the beds. Do not stay there if you want to unpack.

The shower now soaks you when you turn it on or off, and, while you're showering, it creates a river on the floor, soaking the bathmat. There are, of course, many more unpleasant things than a wet bathmat, but I have a strong preference for a dry one.

Good things: You can still get two double beds. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. There are two blankets for doona-haters like us. There is still a toaster and a microwave, but the vast unfurnished spaces mean that there's nowhere to put them. We set up the ironing board near a power point for the toaster. Probably not the safest solution, but we kept an eye on it. The other option, of course, is the floor; and there is plenty of floor.

Still a good location, right next to Haigh's chocolates!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EJHSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2012

This is the second time we have stayed at The Swanston Hotel, and we'd happily stay there again. Our flight was early so we were able to check in early as the room was ready. The room was large and the bed was comfortable. It's a true King Bed and not just two singles that fit together. The location is excellent in the middle of the city and the staff are more than happy to help with tram tickets, travel plans to tourist locations or just advice on what to see. Other pluses were that the bath was huge, they have a free DVD library at reception and the cleaners were friendly and unobtrusive.
My only complaints would be that we had the continental breakfast which was expensive but stingy (and everything in bowls and cups with cling wrap including the cereal, milk, juice, yoghurt.) Also the bedding is the kind I dislike in hotels where the dooner/quilt doesn't have a cover, it's just sandwiched between the linen so it tends to not be as clean (eg hair stuck in it and it's scratchy if it comes free of the layers).
Also my husband was there for work and needed a tram ticket one morning which we were told you can get from the Concierge, but the Concierge wasn't on until 10am, much later than my husband was leaving in the morning.
But other than that we'd be more than happy to stay there again, it's a reasonable price for a good location and a good room.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Australia Tour
Stayed April 3 and 4, 2012

Location:
This hotel is located in a very nice place. As you walk out the hotel, its surrounded by restaurants and a coupe of travel agencies for tour planning. :)

LOBBY:
It was a mid sized lobby with the reception area facing directly the elevators. At the side are some sofa seats for resting and waiting for companion of people who are checking in. Newspapers and Magazines are readily available for free and a little walk down is the paid internet area with AUD2.00 for 20 mins use and a staircase to the daily breakfast area.

HALLWAY:
We are placed on 5th floor as we had a Tour Group Group Check In.
The design of this hotel is quite different from other hotels I've been to. Usually, when you exit the elevator, there are hallway going strait to the room that is assigned to you. But in this one, before going to the room doors from the elevator, there is a mini rest area with 4 solo seater sofas then surrounded by the room doors and fire exit (if I am not mistaken). Since the rooms on that side are mostly from our Tour Group, we can meet up and chat in that small "living area" like space. :)

ROOM:
This seems to be one of those old hotels because the room is huge. It got 2 Queen Beds in it, a 3 seater sofa, a table and chair, and an iPod dockable mini stereo system, a TV set, a cabinet with iron, ironing board, and extra 2 pillows and 2 wool blankets. However its curtains feels dirty. In fact the room look and feel aged and tired too. But I like the illumination of the lights as it is sufficient as you enter the room till the end of the room. If I can estimate the size of the room that we had, I can say its around 25 to 30 sq m. rectangular shaped.

BATHROOM:
Bathroom is the biggest of the three hotels we stayed with. Its nice. It got a semi Victorian touch to it. It got sufficient towels as well. Shampoo and Conditioner plus Lotion and Soap are available too.

BREAKFAST:
The food served are good. Same for both days but good enough to get you started for the day. Most of the hotels served same scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, roasted tomatoes, hash brown, yogurt, cereals, etc.

SERVICE:
So what is the sting in this hotel? Sad to say, its actually one of their lady employee. I am a member of Accor Advantage Plus for 4 consecutive years and I have high regards with the brand as well as their training to their customer service. But sadly this is not the case in this hotel stay/experience. I requested for slippers and it was sent to my room. As the person knocks, I went to open the door and get the slippers. Upon opening the door, I was expecting "Here are the slippers that you requested" with a smile as expression as that is the usual experience I had with other hotels. Unfortunately what I got is not even a word, give the slippers, and worst not even a smile at all from the lady that sent the slippers over. I was given a face with a blank expression. I can feel her unhappy and unwillingness in sending the slippers to me. Despite that expression, I am happy to get it from her therefore a thank you is my reply and definitely a smile. I hope that with my smile, she will at least smile back but no no no, she just turn her back to me and walk away as I close the room door. That is the first night negative experience.
On the day of our check out, which is 6:15 in the morning. I went down ahead. As the elevator arrived G floor and doors opened, there are two person in the reception area. They hear the elevator and saw me coming out. Not even one greeted good morning or even just smile. They just continue with what they are doing.Its like I am not there and I am not a guest at their hotel. I am the one that said good morning to them first before they reciprocate back saying good morning.

VERDICT:
Nice and great hotel with a lot of potential but its quite aged and tired already. Perhaps due for a renovation.
Great location. Many shops, restaurant, travel agencies, and convenient store around the vicinity.
As for service, rude. Hope its not because I am Asian that is why they treat me as such racial discriminately. They need to know the basic "Smile and Greet" under hospitality/service industry.

Room Tip: Get the room ending in 16 or 17, its beside each other and not at the side with most of the rooms so...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Cairns
Reviewed 5 April 2012

this hotel is in the centre of the city, rooms are nice and quiet & comfortable. Very good service. I got a good rate through a shopping deal so our 4 days at this hotel were very enjoyable. Two blocks of Swanston St are being turned into a mall at front of the hotel which will enhance the location of this hotel

Room Tip: The Swanston St Grand Mecure shares the reception area with the Welcome Hotel Mecure. SO there are d...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Located right in the heart of Melbourne where it surrounded by restaurants, shopping malls and China Town. The sister hotel, Mercure Welcome is right next to it where they share the same lobby. This hotel is a little more expensive the sister hotel but is totally worth it.

Unlike the sister hotel, the entrance was sharp and you wont miss it. Check in staff was friendly where we could get all the information we needed. One of the staff even called up the Skybus to make reservation for us.

Room was much bigger then the sister hotel. It was clean and the bed was the real king size bed. There was a sofa next to the working desk and a love seat next to the bed. The room also came with a Flat screen TV and underneath it was DVD player and a microwave! On the other side of the bed was a huge closet.

Bathroom was sparkling clean with higher quality amenities.

We are so pleased with this hotel and will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple