I write to disillusion anyone who read my 29 April 2011 review of this hotel and fixated on the armchair and footrest, about which I expressed such enthusiasm. ALAS! the hotel has had a makeover and abolished the armchair, the footrest and the wardrobe that included shelves. There is now NOWHERE to put your clothes. No shelves (other than the one with blankets on it); no drawers apart from the small one between the beds. Do not stay there if you want to unpack.
The shower now soaks you when you turn it on or off, and, while you're showering, it creates a river on the floor, soaking the bathmat. There are, of course, many more unpleasant things than a wet bathmat, but I have a strong preference for a dry one.
Good things: You can still get two double beds. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. There are two blankets for doona-haters like us. There is still a toaster and a microwave, but the vast unfurnished spaces mean that there's nowhere to put them. We set up the ironing board near a power point for the toaster. Probably not the safest solution, but we kept an eye on it. The other option, of course, is the floor; and there is plenty of floor.
Still a good location, right next to Haigh's chocolates!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is a 4.5-star hotel positioned in an unrivalled location in the very heart of Melbourne's CBD and city, surrounded by the city's most popular business and shopping precincts, theatres, galleries, bars and restaurants. With shopping meccas like Bourke Street Mall, Emporium Melbourne and H&M right on your doorstep, other attractions like Federation Square, Southbank, Her Majesty's and Regent Theatres, Queen Victoria Markets and Melbourne Central Shopping Complex are just a short stroll away. In addition, with a tram stop conveniently located at the front entrance - a quick tram ride will take you to all major sporting venues including the MCG and Etihad Stadium plus the city's cosmopolitan shopping and entertainment hotspots such as St Kilda, Chapel Street, Bridge Road and Brunswick Street. The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure is Melbourne's most centrally located hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Southall Travel, Priceline, Ctrip TA, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Hotel.de, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Swanston Hotel, Grand Mercure Hotel Melbourne
- The Swanston Hotel Grand Accor